Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Duct Tape?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2002, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Duct Tape?

Am I the only one noticing alot of duct tape being used to fix things in the cabins these days. I noticed beige duct tape covering several cracks in the plastic side-wall on a recent flight from EWR-ORD (733.) I've also seen duct tape emplyed to hold tops to the seat arms. I know their trying to cut costs but this is starting to remind me of Eastern towards the end!
Old Nov 7, 2002, 9:47 am

Duct tape is a wonderful thing. If they were really trying to cut costs, however, they would use scotch tape
Old Nov 7, 2002, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, if they were really trying to save money they would use chewed gum
Old Nov 7, 2002, 10:00 am

Location: IND- Views expressed by me in this forum are solely my opinion and do not reflect the opinion or policies of UA.
On one particular flight, it was discovered that the exit row lighting was inop in one row. The psgrs were already boarded and the 3 seated in that row offered to hold flashlights handy and wear reflectors to avoid a delay. (I believe they were at least 50% serious, too.)Total delay time for that flight: 5.5 hrs to restore the exit row emergency lighting.
If duct tape can avoid a lengthy delay when something is discovered just prior to dept., I agree with it's use. However, following through on repairs afterward to avoid the tacky display of duct tape would be a wise decision.
Old Nov 7, 2002, 10:15 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Baze:
No, if they were really trying to save money they would use chewed gum </font>
Well, we all know if they really want to save money they wouldn't fix it at all.
Old Nov 7, 2002, 11:32 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
I hope they don't use duct tape to fix the landing gear

------------------
"I just wanna wish you good luck, we're all counting on you"
-Dr. Rumack
Old Nov 7, 2002, 2:14 pm

Don't quote me on this, but I believe UA policy allows duct tape to be used as a temporary fix for upto 36 hours on a MEL item and indefinitely on a non-MEL item. (MEL = Minimum Equipment List)
Old Nov 7, 2002, 2:34 pm

That's what happen when MacGyver goes on holiday
Old Nov 7, 2002, 2:38 pm

Programs: Many
I thought duct tape wasn't allowed, "due to security concerns"
Old Nov 7, 2002, 2:41 pm

Please note that this is not just ordinary duct tape! It is FAA-approved and FAR-regulated duct tape. Count on it to be several magnitudes higher in price than the same stuff from the hardware store...
Old Nov 7, 2002, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hertz P Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Please note that this is not just ordinary duct tape! It is FAA-approved and FAR-regulated duct tape. Count on it to be several magnitudes higher in price than the same stuff from the hardware store...</font>
Cool! Where can I get some? I need to make some repairs around the house...
Old Nov 7, 2002, 7:21 pm

I've also seen it used on the outside of some planes. I airline circles often called "600 mile an hour tape"
Old Nov 7, 2002, 7:27 pm

Location: IND- Views expressed by me in this forum are solely my opinion and do not reflect the opinion or policies of UA.
I believe the technical term is "speed tape". No exxaggeration.
(And- it is better than regular duct tape.)
Old Nov 7, 2002, 7:37 pm

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
Here's a link for speed tape, but this stuff's only rated 200 MPH
Old Nov 7, 2002, 8:02 pm

See....United's "600 mile an hour tape" is much better than plain 'ole "200 mph speed tape. Thank you for the post on Duct Tape, it's good to add some levity to this board sometimes, when alot of the threads are just "doom and gloom" for UAL.;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.