Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Funny F/C story ORD/SFO - Better than IFE

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:40 pm

Wasn't the 1K breaking a rule by checking in something that wasn't packed by him?
Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by jimmc66
I accept that there were possibly other ways to "handle" the problem. For those of us that travel a lot, we're well aware that the UA FA's show little willingness to do anything above the ordinary. On a full plane, loading late, with the aisles still jammed with passengers, the reality is that most of us know the FA's would have done nothing.
Not to take this too far O/T, but I completely agree. I'm sure many of us have seen coach bags in overhead First bins, and First passengers' hand luggage needing to be to be gate checked as a result.

If we had completely faith that we wouldn't be ignored/dismissed by the FAs, the 1K might have acted differently.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 4:01 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
Wasn't the 1K breaking a rule by checking in something that wasn't packed by him?
It was already checked in and through security at this point no?
Old Nov 22, 2009, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by jimmc66
An F passenger and 1K said to her "those bins are for those sitting here".
I m special youre not.
How was this affecting the said 1K? Mind your own business
Who cares where other people put their bags.

What an as*.

Its probably the same person that pushes through everyone on the red carpet with his golden boarding pass jacket waving... out of the way, I am in FIRST CLASS!

What gives you the right for moving my bag out of public space (the bin), since when does 1K come with a UA on-board police badge. Tell the FA, whose job it is to move bag. I am sure if the same 1K would have his bag moved, or even rearranged, he'd be writing in for compensation

signed,
GenY

Last edited by rankourabu; Nov 22, 2009 at 4:16 pm
Old Nov 22, 2009, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Its probably the same person that pushes through everyone on the red carpet with his golden boarding pass jacket waving... out of the way, I am in FIRST CLASS!
Real DYKWIAs use the stiff-arm technique; pushing requires too much effort.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
yes, it's called claiming someone elses property as your own. I consider it stealing. There is a reason they give out a claim check with a serial number on gate-checked items...you lay claim to that property. Don't they put your seat number on the tag to trace it back to the manifest as de-facto checked baggage?

So I take it the 1K is liable for the stuff that ended up broken/lost/stolen from that point forward?
Old Nov 22, 2009, 4:25 pm

Once upon a time

when I found the bin over my seat already full, standing in the aisle I asked if anyone (within hearing range of my voice) owned what was there, intending then to move mine elsewhere if what was in the bin belonged to pax legitimately in "my" cabin. When no-one responded, I then removed the offending bag to the aisle next to my seat and replaced it with mine up in the overhead bin.
An F/A eventually came down the aisle, repeated the question, and when again no-one claimed the bag, she took it and did godnose what with it. There may even have ben an all-call for "the owner of a black, blah-blah blah, with blah, blah etc, on it to identify yourself by pressing the call button," I don't remember.
In the OP's case, from my experience, a similar scenario would have solved any of the related issues other posters have raised.
Similarly, once I left my own version of an amenity kit in a seat-back pocket after I had bumbled into the wrong row/seat, and had to relocate to my ticketed seat. There was a "would the owner of..." all-call, and I claimed my belongings.
Works for me....
Old Nov 22, 2009, 4:28 pm

I am not particularly fond of vigilante justice
Old Nov 22, 2009, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 2p
oh boo-freakin-hoo. Maybe the girl will realize that nice girls finish first from now on. I'm 23 and definitely notice how rude people have become (and also how no one uses their turn signal, but that's another thread.)

It's called instant karma. She won't fly UA again? aww, I'll definitely miss her.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Originally Posted by unavaca
Yes, that is a bad thing. Driving away passengers is a bad thing.
Always? There are tons of Flyertalkers who will never fly Southwest because they don't want to associate with the kinds of pax they they perceive WN customers to be. I don't share that opinion of Southwest, but I WOULD pay extra to fly an airline that smacked down rude and inconsiderate passengers like the girl at issue here.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 5:07 pm

Programs: United GS/MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Guy sounds like a [jerk], but that's a somewhat funny story

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 23, 2009 at 6:27 am
Old Nov 22, 2009, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
What gives you the right for moving my bag out of public space (the bin), since when does 1K come with a UA on-board police badge.
What on earth makes you think the F bins (or any bins on the plane) are "public space"? Just because you have physical access to them? People have physical access to my front lawn; does that mean they can just camp out there if they want? If I try to kick them off, am I saying "I'm better than you"?

I'm almost a Gen-Y'er myself, but good grief. This sense of entitlement needs to end. If you want to use first class bin space then save some money and buy a frickin' F ticket (or upgrade) like everybody else.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 5:18 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mr. Mastodon Flyer
Always? There are tons of Flyertalkers who will never fly Southwest because they don't want to associate with the kinds of pax they they perceive WN customers to be. I don't share that opinion of Southwest, but I WOULD pay extra to fly an airline that smacked down rude and inconsiderate passengers like the girl at issue here.
Well in this instance the airline was never given the opportunity to deal with the passenger in question on any level, until she reached SFO and her bag wasn't where she left it.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 5:28 pm

Programs: General member, former 1P
I'm surprised at the number of hard cases piling on here. Anyone who has ever had a bag disappear on them would recognize this conduct as awful, just terrible. It's happened to me twice in six months. First time, a planeside-checked bag on an RJ wasn't there when I disembarked. Last flight of the night, small station, no one around to help by the time I figured out that my bag was gone. I ended up having to reboard and get the captain to help me out. Turned out that my bag was on the carousel with the checked bags. Second time was when some clown pulled my wife's bag out of the overhead bin (in Y on an US RJ) and walked off, leaving his. We barely caught him before he got into the parking lot. It's an awful, sickening feeling. I'd never pull the stunt the OP described in a million years.

Taking someone's bag without their knowledge or consent, portraying it as one's own, checking it, and pocketing the claim tag is reprehensible. And it's also theft. The Illinois Criminal Code's definition of theft is simple:

"A person commits theft when he knowingly obtains or exerts unauthorized control over property of the owner."

Mr. 1K is lucky he didn't end up sitting in the airport police office for a few hours. The claim check in his wallet is tough to explain. Of course, for all we know, Mr. 1K grabbed the bag off the carousel and took it home with him. We don't know, do we? The story ended with the bag owner talking to the cops while the 1K walked off into the sunset with their claim check.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Mastodon Flyer
Many of the UA F pax are much worse than anything Southwest could conjure up.

What an absolute douche. This 1K probably thought he was being hilarious with his brand of entitled justice. Life's really too short to be meddling in other people's affairs related to baggage. What an absolute loser.

Moreover, just a question - is it actually a rule that F bins are reserved for F hand luggage, or more of just a norm/more? I understand there might exist an implied consideration for F pax, but could this imbecile 1K actually cite a rule?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.