Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Yuck - Salmon and Smoked Salmon Appetizers Are Back on the Menu

Yuck - Salmon and Smoked Salmon Appetizers Are Back on the Menu

Old Nov 22, 2009, 12:55 am

Programs: UA 1k
Has it occurred to some of you people that United probably does research what passengers prefer, and then tries to provide that to us if it makes business sense?

and I'm +1 on salmon too, glad to have it back!
Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:29 am

Programs: UA 1K*MM, AA PP
Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
But United's salmon (or any fish) is disgusting.
Not true. The international C mahi-mahi meal they introduced about a year ago is one of the yummiest entrees I've had on UA.

^ to pretty much any smoked fish too, salmon or not. Pickled too! I probably have to fly SAS to get herring?
Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:36 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Ix-Nay on the Almon-Say, but at least it's a proper appetizer. Try NRT-TPE/BKK/SIN, all of which do not have an appetizer for dinner in C, just a salad with some sunflower seeds on top and prepackaged dressing with no choice.

A definite cutback, especially as UA875 NRT-SIN has a block time of 7:30, longer than say, UA916 IAD-LHR, with blocks at just 7:07 but has proper appie in C.

BTW, the one appetizer item I don't like is duck, which shows up transpacific sometimes. No thanks!
Old Nov 22, 2009, 2:09 pm

Programs: 1-k spg gold
I would much rather just have a corn dog, or a good hamburger. Perhaps, simpler is better, certainly better tasting.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
When I saw this thread I thought maybe my 4 year old niece had joined FT, though she might have pushed harder for pizza bites as a replacement.

Personally, I like the salmon.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by turpwa
I would much rather just have a corn dog, or a good hamburger. Perhaps, simpler is better, certainly better tasting.
You think a corn dog or hamburger is "simpler" than smoked salmon? Smoked salmon = salmon, fileted, smoked. Corn dog = meat and filler, ground to a slurry, injected into casings, smoked and cooked, casing removed, dredged multiple times, then fried. Hamburger = meat, ground, shaped into patties, cooked, and placed on top of bread (which requires more preparation) with vegetables/condiments.

If you're talking "simpler," then smoked salmon is far, far simpler than a corn dog or hamburger.

That said... I don't really eat smoked salmon, either. I have nothing against it, I just don't particular enjoy the taste (though I love cooked salmon filet).
Old Nov 22, 2009, 4:08 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
I just walked out of the kitchen with salmon on a bagel and fired up Flyertalk. What an interesting thread!
Old Nov 23, 2009, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Exec Plt 2MM, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, disgruntled Amex Ex-Centurion
Originally Posted by turpwa
To each his own. I would never touch greasy junk food like that, but get me the salmon!

In what world is processed fast food "simpler" than smoked fish?
Old Nov 23, 2009, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Basically love salmon!

Truely enjoy smoked salmon, balik, grave lax! Lh had a smoked tuna tartare some time ago, which was yummy too.

As far as salmon as a main dish goes, I would appreciate some variety in sauces to pair it with.

Originally Posted by asya999
Not true. The international C mahi-mahi meal they introduced about a year ago is one of the yummiest entrees I've had on UA.
Liked Mahimahi as well, except for the most recent grilled Trotter variety with sweet and sour veggie. Just tasted awful!

Originally Posted by Kurt
A definite cutback, especially as UA875 NRT-SIN has a block time of 7:30, longer than say, UA916 IAD-LHR, with blocks at just 7:07 but has proper appie in C.
Very true. This flight used to have a nice full-dinner service some time ago. Now, it just pales especially compared to Asian carriers.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 23, 2009 at 7:04 pm Reason: merge

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.