Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA orders 25 B787s and 25 A350s [Merged threads].

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA orders 25 B787s and 25 A350s [Merged threads].

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
It is in UA's best interest to purchase the American built aircraft. Many non US companies benefit from orders for the 787 too, but IMO the whole country benefits immensely when US firms that manufacture product in the USA win contracts.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:46 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
It is in UA's best interest to purchase the American built aircraft. Many non US companies benefit from orders for the 787 too, but IMO the whole country benefits immensely when US firms that manufacture product in the USA win contracts.
I can almost guarantee, that the BoD of UA doesn't factor that in vs the cost to UA. Their primary job is to make UA profitable and provide a return to it's investors. Period. Benefits to the flier, the employees, or the community have never been a high priority, unless they can be used to leverage a return on investment.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Here's one 1K's vote for Boeing. Buy American (even if it isn't entirely so).
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:15 pm
Suspended

A notable thing in the article not mentioned here yet is that the order is now split. Meaning that Boeing and Airbus are first going to compete with the widebody order and then they will compete for the narrowbody one. This makes sense, IMO, because if Boeing wins the widebody order, I see Airbus winning the narrowbodies due to the fact that more A32X series would compliment the existing Airbus fleet and Airbus is planning major upgrades for the planes with the possible inclusion of the PW GTF engines (and we all know how much UA loves Pratt)

If my theory actually comes true, it puts UA in very good position strategically as they maintain their good relations with both Boeing and Airbus, which no other US carrier has with NW gone.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
[Leaving aside nationalistic preferences, and also not trying to get all Airliners.net on this thread]

The thing that is striking to me is the difference in passenger capacity between the 787 and the A350 (-800 and -900 versions). The 787 is more in the 767 capacity class while the 350 is closer to the 777 in capacity. The 350 strikes me as an odd choice for UA given that UA's 777s are among their newest aircraft while the next aircraft in line to leave UA's fleet based on age is the 757. The one thing going for the A350 is that it could be a fuel efficient replacement for the 747 on long range flights, but at much reduced capacity.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
[Leaving aside nationalistic preferences, and also not trying to get all Airliners.net on this thread]

The thing that is striking to me is the difference in passenger capacity between the 787 and the A350 (-800 and -900 versions). The 787 is more in the 767 capacity class while the 350 is closer to the 777 in capacity. The 350 strikes me as an odd choice for UA given that UA's 777s are among their newest aircraft while the next aircraft in line to leave UA's fleet based on age is the 757. The one thing going for the A350 is that it could be a fuel efficient replacement for the 747 on long range flights, but at much reduced capacity.
The other thing is that UA mentioned that they're interested in 25 + 75 options. If they took all the options, that'd completely replace their entire longhaul fleet with basically one type of plane or they'd be adding some significant international lift.

Given that they'd be going to one type, the A350 is a slightly better fit given their existing widebody sizes, but who knows.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
The Trib is saying that they will be splitting the order. This will be 787 and 321 at this time. They do need more single aisle ant that will go all airbus.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
UA will have to be considered to orders A350-1000R or 787-10. Either way UA will have own logical choice to gets A350-1000XWB is perfect sizeable. It will have to boost up more passengers capacity on operating A350-1000R to need expandable more potential new routes from IAD, ORD, LAX. UA can be take the advantage of A350-1000R. This is specifically time to gets better product A350-1000XWBR is best aircraft. This is best opportunities to take A350-1000R to bring more specific new routes by replacement 747 aircraft.

I think that I am still curious that A380-900R is long way to go. If UA will eventually to be on orders A380-900R to need boost more extendable range to bring more nonstop from ORD-SYD/AKL/SIN/BKK or IAD-JNB/CPT/NBO/BOM/DEL. If need to get better seat configurations is 3-4-3 in the economy class. It need to be installions new cabin interiors. Let's speculations on that one. Its should have to console up to bring newest A380-900R sometimes in near the future. I think it would be considered to gets more orders A380-900R to have increase more range where A380 can be long journey from LAX-DXB/DEL/BOM and etc. This is right time to take on A380-900R to bring more 600 passengers capacity.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, BW Diamond, HG Platinum
Another vote for an even competition, may the best plane at the best price win.

With a possible Continental merger looming, do you guys think they have any input in the decision? CO has gone with 787's for their own fleet.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:43 pm

Programs: Mosaic 2, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Premium Cabin free agent
The A380 is not a good choice unless someone needed to transport their ego along with a few passengers. There are scalability issues with that aircraft. UA is having a hard enough time filling 747's, adding that much capacity on any long haul route would add too much risk. If UA was flush with cash it would be an idea to tinker with but they are nowhere near that point. Like the 787 have to read up on the A350.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by eeee
With a possible Continental merger looming, do you guys think they have any input in the decision? CO has gone with 787's for their own fleet.
You can argue this one both ways.

CO has a gentlemen's agreement to only buy Boeing. You can argue that UA could go Boeing to be in line with CO, if a merger is looming, so they have a common fleet.

Similarly, you can argue that if a merger is looming, UA should go Airbus so as to get the Airbii in place, something that CO is not "allowed" to do.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by eeee
Another vote for an even competition, may the best plane at the best price win.

CO mainline is entirely Boeing. There is no doubt that if there were to be a merger, that the Boeing choice would be the right choice from a fleet commonality perspective.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
The A380 is not being considered.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
The Trib is saying that they will be splitting the order. This will be 787 and 321 at this time. They do need more single aisle ant that will go all airbus.
This would make sense. Also, I prefer Boeing long-range aircraft and don't mind the Airbii domestic (wider seat, better lav).

One would think they'd want the next iteration of whatever narrow-body they get.

As mentioned in another thread, Boeing/UA HQs are mere blocks apart. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a serious hometown push.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
The A380 is not being considered.
What is your source?

Oh, by the way and congratulations for your reaches 1,000 post club tonight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.