Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

FAs ... does airplane ice come from the on-board water tanks?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAs ... does airplane ice come from the on-board water tanks?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2002, 12:55 pm
cnk

letiole,

Did any of the FA give you a hard time about this project? It wouldn't surprise me if some senior airline management people would not want someone (admitedly a kid) finding health risks with their water supply.

cnk
Old Apr 25, 2002, 12:57 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Liz:
The ice is boarded in clear plastic bags with "United Airlines" written on them. Where the ice is obtained...I have no clue. The galley faucet is from the potable water source.</font>
I once had to write a letter to UA about a FA who was throwing the bags of ice on the floor to break up the ice. The FA would then lay the dirty bag into the clean ice and slide the bag off. Needless to say, I did not have drinks that day.
Old Apr 25, 2002, 6:01 pm

If memory serves, the water is clorinated and filtered.
Old Apr 25, 2002, 7:34 pm
Liz

Programs: MP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by letiole:
Yeah, I thought about the ice obviously being already on board after I wrote the topic. On long hauls though I thought perhaps they made more ice. The FAs let my son store is ice bags for chilling his samples in their freezer so I thought maybe there is ice-making capabilities...snip
</font>
The "freezer" they put it in must have been a bin with dry ice since we don't have freezers (or the capability of making more ice). They load the ice in bins with dry ice on top and it will stay frozen for quite awhile. Very interesting thread you started!!
Old Apr 25, 2002, 10:13 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Liz wrote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The galley faucet is from the potable water source. </font>
Is this a different source than the one for the water that flows from the lav faucets?

Thanks for all the replies. I read somewhere too that water on airlines was treated, but that didn't stop his samples from testing positive for fecal coliform and one had E. coli. Other bacteria showed up as well - could be anything - but this test only discriminated for E. coli, general coliform and fecal coliform.

The FAs didn't know what he was doing. I really need him to start his thread on this so he can explain it all better, but he brought along alcohol to sterilize his equipment, a filtering apparatus, broth for the bacteria to feed on, Petri dishes, forceps, etc. as well as ice bags to keep the samples chilled until he could get to the hotel to test. He had 24 hours from the time he collected to run the test or the temp would be wrong. So on the planes he simply collected the samples before landing and then ran the test at the hotel. They then needed up to 72 hours to incubate. His main priority on the trips was keeping everything sterile and at the right temp.

Port Douglas water at the resort we stayed tested extremely high for fecal coliform so it wasn't too surprising that the tank water on planes flying out of Cairns had high counts too.

I think my son's hoping that this will be an on-going experiment and maybe FTers flying into the Bay Area from various places will be willing to collect water samples and we can meet them at the airport and collect them and test.

[This message has been edited by letiole (edited 04-25-2002).]
Old Apr 25, 2002, 10:39 pm

Programs: Many
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Sweet Willie:
I once had to write a letter to UA about a FA who was throwing the bags of ice on the floor to break up the ice. The FA would then lay the dirty bag into the clean ice and slide the bag off. Needless to say, I did not have drinks that day.</font>
Sounds like a SFO-NRT matron special

Old Apr 25, 2002, 11:28 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by letiole:

I have been on some Atlantic Coast CRJs that have those signs that say not to drink the water. The UA planes with little cups in the lav, however, would suggest it's OK.

</font>
It says not to drink the lav water? I'll have to check the next time I'm back there -- I've never noticed it. On the CRJ, there are two water tanks, one for the galley water, the other for lav water. They're five gallons each. Both tanks are serviced from the same supply cart, which is filled from "potable water" stations throughout the airport.
Old Apr 26, 2002, 7:32 am
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chexfan:
[BThis is what I was going to say. Haven't you ever see the FAs pounding away with the mini sledgehammer as you board! [/B]</font>
A familiar UA sound.
Old Apr 26, 2002, 9:34 am

Programs: MM,flyer AA,UA, LH Senator
I always watch and follow what the flight attendants do. They drink bottled water, this should tell you something. I've alway wondered about planes flying in from Asia or Africa and turned around for use as a domestic flight. All waste from International flights is incinerated period, but where are the water tanks filled?
Old Nov 1, 2002, 9:01 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

More on the water here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/005952.html

And here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/005273.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum50/HTML/015343.html

[This message has been edited by doc (edited 11-01-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.