Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United 1Ks will have access to M class upgrades on CO (all UA elites to B/Y)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, BA silver

Mods - feel free to merge with one of the existing threads.

As confirmed by the CO Insider, United Elites will be able to confirm domestic upgrades at the time of booking for Y and B fares. GSs/1Ks will be able to do the same on M fares. Considering that transcon M fares are often around $600 all-in, this is a great deal ^ .

Originally Posted by CO Insider
Hi SF1K, yes, United's Elite customers will have the same access to our Elite instant upgrades for Y and B fares. Additionally, Global Services and 1K members will have access to instant upgrades for M fares just like Continental's Platinum Elite members.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Nice. Just keep this stuff off United metal

And if they do keep it off UA metal, then this is the first true UA benefit from this whole partnership that I can see.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:32 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Just a note on the transcons -- M & B fares are not pulled from last seat F availability so before you buy, be sure to make sure there's inventory to clear into.

Y fares do have last seat F availability.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:33 am

Programs: UA Gold
This is also good news. Now it sounds like UA is going to do the same thing with their Y,B or M fares. (I would assume that UA 'E' fare would be included in this as well since it's more expensive than M)

Mods-Please keep this as separate topic to avoid very large threads that can't easily be read.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Just a note on the transcons -- M & B fares are not pulled from last seat F availability so before you buy, be sure to make sure there's inventory to clear into.

Y fares do have last seat F availability.
That is a good point, though availability (especially when booking early) is very good.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia

And if they do keep it off UA metal, then this is the first true UA benefit from this whole partnership that I can see.
Alliances need to work both ways. Put yourself as a CO Elite. Now if UA didn't do that, CO Elites would all be mad. It's gotta be fair for everyone and quit being selfish.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:39 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
I was just going to post this. This is indeed a great benefit for GS/1Ks on CO. There are some really reasonable M fares on CO transcon flights, especially if one is connecting. Sometimes the B fare is lower than the M. This was the main reason asked CO to comp me to Plat, so now I'll have to decide weather it is worth keeping CO Plat or not.

For example I bought SFO-EWR-BUF for $415.20 (AI) and instant upgrade to F on the SFO-EWR flight, no upgrade instrument or waiting needed. Also this was a B fare which earn 150% EQM on either UA or CO. ^
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
+1

This very thing is what killed OnePass.

Originally Posted by joeljack
Alliances need to work both ways. Put yourself as a CO Elite. Now if UA didn't do that, CO Elites would all be mad. It's gotta be fair for everyone and quit being selfish.
Nothing is always 100% equal. CO elites get E+ on UA. This may be the concession to make that happen.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:42 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG

It would really not make sense for UA to not offer this. Why would a GS/1K buy a Y/B/M fare on UA when they could buy it on CO and upgrade instantly - provided the same route is offered.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Sounds like great news. I would expect that UA would offer the M upgrade also, as SF1K stated, in order to avoid losing business to CO. The only caveat might be if the two airlines worked out some sort of code-sharing or otherwise shared revenue under such circumstances, but that seems complicated or perhaps simply unfeasible.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by SF1K
It would really not make sense for UA to not offer this. Why would a GS/1K buy a Y/B/M fare on UA when they could buy it on CO and upgrade instantly - provided the same route is offered.
Exactly. They have to offer it.

Plus United B and M fares are a lot of times twice the price as CO's B and M fares, why not reward those $1,000 plus tickets with a free instant upgrade.

Now the question is what inventory will the instant upgrade clear out of?

F Bucket?
A Bucket?
NF Bucket?
XF Bucket?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
You guys do realize that there are plenty of people who actually buy F fares on UA, right? That would certainly changed if they insta upgraded an M fare.

In other words, if UA does offer it, it most certainly would not come out of the F or A bucket.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:20 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Keep in mind that UA already does first-for-economy pricing via MUAUP, HUAUP, etc. So I don't really see why UA would introduce an extra "confirmable for M bucket" scheme. And I'd imagine if UA does do it, it'd come out of those fare availabilities and at those prices.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by iwillflytheworld
...Considering that transcon M fares are often around $600 all-in, this is a great deal ^ .
They were around $600 when first introduced in July, and I certainly took advantage of that. Now LAX-, SFO-, SAN-, and DEN-EWR are all > $1000 RT, so it's not the deal that it once was. The M-ups are only good to/from hubs as well, from what I can ascertain (for example, there are no published M fares that I've found ex-DEN except to IAH, CLE, and EWR).
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:44 am

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
This does upgrades harder. My travels do not put my on CO, but I am guessing that on UA metal there will be more CO elites keeping upgrades from UA members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.