Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United 1Ks will have access to M class upgrades on CO (all UA elites to B/Y)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United 1Ks will have access to M class upgrades on CO (all UA elites to B/Y)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:16 pm

As we all know, .bomb at present has no direct way to purchase specific fare classes. CO.com does, thus making purchase of the "M" Plat instant upgrade an easy transaction. You can see availability and seats for flights before purchasing your ticket. No surprises later.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
Will UA 1Ks be able to get unlimited upgrades on non Y/B/M fares are the normal Plat elite windows?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
Originally Posted by Bonehead
They were around $600 when first introduced in July, and I certainly took advantage of that. Now LAX-, SFO-, SAN-, and DEN-EWR are all > $1000 RT, so it's not the deal that it once was. The M-ups are only good to/from hubs as well, from what I can ascertain (for example, there are no published M fares that I've found ex-DEN except to IAH, CLE, and EWR).
I guess it depends on the route. SEA-EWR is still $600, and SEA-many places in the East Coast is ~$800.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by iwillflytheworld
I guess it depends on the route. SEA-EWR is still $600, and SEA-many places in the East Coast is ~$800.
Yes...SEA/PDX/LAS-EWR M fares are still a great deal. I really wish that they hadn't jacked up DEN-EWR, but I suspected at the time that it was related to the UA alliance, and I still think there's someting to my suspicions.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 1:38 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA can't keep CR1's and also do Y/B/M free upgrades, IMO. Too many free upgrades floating around.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 1:44 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Is Guam considered domestic for the purpose of these upgrades?

Too lazy to search the FT archive. There, I said it.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 2:01 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by SFO_Runner
Is Guam considered domestic for the purpose of these upgrades?
It is, as long as you're not on the n/s HNL-GUM flights.

This leaves the milk-run/island hopper for both Mups (as well as UDUs) in addition to the various other destinations ex GUM.

I don't know if M+ UDU will extend to Copa, but if they do, you could theoretically be eligible for UDU's/M,B,Y-UPs from EZE to CNS or NRT...assuming you were willing to travel across the planets on 737's.

EZE-PTY-LAX-HNL-Island Hopper-GUM-NRT
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:31 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Government Fares

I wonder if Government fares will continue to be eligible? I have booked many times on Continental with the Y and B automatic upgrades on a government fare and been successful in upgrading. United's policy is much more strict and does not allow automatic upgrades on Y and B government fares. Hopefully this is reconciled by favoring the Continental policy.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
What fare bucket does CO's M upgrade come from? Is it the F bucket or is it something along the lines of UA's NF, which is capacity controlled and elusive?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by santarosaflyer
This does upgrades harder. My travels do not put my on CO, but I am guessing that on UA metal there will be more CO elites keeping upgrades from UA members.
Why does everyone think there is going to be this massive migration of CO flyers to UA metal?

Do you all know how few US elites fly UA metal? And US's product doesn't even begin to compare to UA's...
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by United737522
Why does everyone think there is going to be this massive migration of CO flyers to UA metal?

Do you all know how few US elites fly UA metal? And US's product doesn't even begin to compare to UA's...
US elites don't get E+ access. CO elites will, as well as on the disposition list for upgrades to F.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
US elites don't get E+ access. CO elites will, as well as on the disposition list for upgrades to F.
So because of those two things, loyal CO flyers are going to frequent UA metal? Not a chance. People have their reasons for being loyal to one mileage program. CO flyers are not going to upset their flying patterns for an upgrade program they already have and a couple inches of legroom. Not to mention, CO F is lightyears ahead of UA's domestic F product.

This whole thing is a matter of convenience for both CO and UA flyers. We now have more options available to us. This is not about poaching customers from one carrier to the other.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by United737522
So because of those two things, loyal CO flyers are going to frequent UA metal? Not a chance. People have their reasons for being loyal to one mileage program. CO flyers are not going to upset their flying patterns for an upgrade program they already have and a couple inches of legroom. Not to mention, CO F is lightyears ahead of UA's domestic F product.

This whole thing is a matter of convenience for both CO and UA flyers. We now have more options available to us. This is not about poaching customers from one carrier to the other.
Correct, it is about poaching customers from AA and DL to CO/UA. For example, a CO customer who was also flying a lot of AA (enough to be gold) to ORD now has three reasons to fly to UA: E+, upgrades, and RCC access (if he hada PC mebership ... if he didn't, he now has an incentive to get one).
Old Nov 18, 2009, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by daron4000
What fare bucket does CO's M upgrade come from? Is it the F bucket or is it something along the lines of UA's NF, which is capacity controlled and elusive?
From ZN, which is:

First/BusinessFirst non-Elite capacity controlled EasyPass reward (tracks similar to Z availability to book)
and designated as

ZE - B or M (Platinums only) fare that has been upgraded at time of ticketing, earns EQMs/EQPs based on the underlying purchased fare (B/M).
Please note, these are only applicable for non-BusinessFirst routes and neither FE nor ZE are valid for BusinessFirst upgrades.
Quotes from here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/6719389-post13.html
Old Nov 29, 2009, 11:03 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Have looked at this thread and the Continental linked thread, and still can't find the answer to this.

I'm looking at an international itinerary with one Continental domestic segment. The fare class is BUAUP, which the review itinerary page says is an A fare which books into First. But, as far as I have been able to ascertain, Continental does not have an A class, so this must be a UA A-class fare? It seems to come up no matter whether the UA segments are priced in the lowest available Economy (S and W), in H or in B, and whether I search anonymously or as a 1K.

So ─

(a) Why is this apparently the only fare available on a midweek flight nearly two months away?
(b) Is it a UA or a CO fare? The UA ***UP thread is 3 years old and sheds no light.
(c) It would appear that it gets 150% EQM, but does it also get 150% RDM?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.