Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA elites to enjoy EUA/"premium" seating on CO, CO elites to get UDU, E+ on UA

Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
United Airlines and Continental Airlines Upgrade Services for Most Loyal Customers

CHICAGO and HOUSTON, Nov. 17 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- United Airlines (Nasdaq: UAUA - News) and Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL - News) today announced that members of each carrier's frequent flyer program who have earned elite status will receive unlimited, complimentary domestic upgrades on flights operated by both airlines when space is available.

Continental's elite-level frequent flyers also will have complimentary access to United's Economy Plus® seating, offering additional legroom near the front of the Economy cabin. United's elite-level frequent flyers will have complimentary access to Continental's Premium Seating as well.

These new benefits will begin to roll out in mid-2010.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/United...html/print?x=0

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 17, 2009 at 8:15 am Reason: full cut and pastes of press releases not allowed
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:07 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold

So says the press release. I guess this cements UDU as something that won't be reversed.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....379&highlight=

CHICAGO and HOUSTON, Nov. 17 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- United Airlines (Nasdaq: UAUA) and Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL) today announced that members of each carrier's frequent flyer program who have earned elite status will receive unlimited, complimentary domestic upgrades on flights operated by both airlines when space is available.

Continental's elite-level frequent flyers also will have complimentary access to United's Economy Plus® seating, offering additional legroom near the front of the Economy cabin. United's elite-level frequent flyers will have complimentary access to Continental's Premium Seating as well.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Yikes.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
I'm officially moving into the fortune-teller business at some point. In the meantime, let's all give a loud "YES WE CAN!" to the reciprocal expansion of our benefit across both carriers.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:14 am

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
wow - that's pretty cool.

Makes it a no brainer to fly CO. Only thing I'd me missing is lifetime EQM. Wonder if it includes HI?

Also, wonder what the "pecking" order will be?

Billy

PS - I've been very impressed by CO. They're very active in the FT community and have a big presence in their board. Wish UA had the same level of interest/commitment. I actually think CO will get better being in *A, but not because of UA but because of LH and a few other airlines will try and help CO fix any minor problems they have. If they only had SWU's .....
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Speaking of CO being active in the FT community, there is a good post by CO Insider on the CO thread that gives some details about the structure of the upgrades:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...ds-merged.html
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, Hertz 5*, Avis First, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Gold
Even with the strong relationship between UA and CO I didn't see this coming. I figured UA would be to focused on the possible revenue from the E+ upsell rather than give away seats to other elites. The press release says upgrades are "if available". I interpret this as saying that CO elites would be upgraded after all UA elites on UA metal; while on CO UA elites would be upgraded after all CO elites. Not a bad perk. I will definitely be considering CO if I can get better seats since I really value E+. Hope it doesn't mean UA 1K CO Equiv, UA 1P CO Equiv, UA 2P CO Equiv for the upgrade process.

Edit - seen the priority order on the CO board (check out the link above) it’s a bit of a hybrid depending how you look at it. I wonder how many CO elites ride on UA. This is an interesting real enhancement. If I was a Premier I wonder how much this also hurts my upgrade chances. This could be a real enhancement so I can now book CO exit seats.

Last edited by 777Brian; Nov 17, 2009 at 8:25 am Reason: Merged threads and more info
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by JAaronT
Yikes.
Do not be afraid of this CHANGE...to your travels. True, many UAers swore it'd be a cold day in Hades before this happened, but what they failed to realize is that it is a "Bold New Day at United-A".
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:20 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Sort of crappy.. CO elites get E+ on UA and we get nothing on CO. "Premium" Seating is a joke (hence why I put it in the title that way)... you still have to pay for everything, there's no additional leg room, no additional boarding privelege... what's premium about it?

At least we beat out most of their members - HA! In fact, 1Ps came out really good in this.

Details about the upgrade hierarchy. When upgrade space becomes available, requests will be prioritized by OnePass or United Mileage Plus elite status, original booking class purchased, and by the time of request. In full disclosure, United’s Premier Executives will have an advantage when traveling on United, because the qualification levels for our Platinum-equivalents are different. Specifically, there’s a large population of United’s Premier Executive customers who have more than Elite Qualification Miles and/or points than our Platinum Elite members.

For travel on United, the clearing order will be:
United Global Services
United 1K
United Premier Executive
Continental Platinum Elite
Continental Gold Elite
United Premier
Continental Silver Elite

For travel on Continental, the clearing order will be:
Continental Platinum Elite
United Global Services
United 1K
Continental Gold Elite
United Premier Executive
Continental Silver Elite
United Premier

Exit row seats on Continental. Just as we do for our Platinum and Gold Elite members do, our current plan is to allow United’s Global Services, 1K and Premier Executive customers to to pre-assign exit row seats.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Thumbs down I don't like CO

This sucks.

CO elites will make E+ more crowded. What do UA elites get from CO?

So called CO premium Y has no more legroom AFAIK unless it's exit row.

CO elites will compete for upgrades on UA. OTOH, UA elites will have a hard time to get upgraded on CO because it's already often very difficult for CO Plats to get upgraded.

No fair!

Not a pretty picture for UA elites. We stand to lose much more than gain. On top of these, we lose CR-1s.

What's next? Let CO take over and eliminate SWUs.

Another sad day for UA elite flyers.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:21 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
This is a great day for CO Elites who now have access to E+.Not such a great day for UA Elites,as CO does not have similar seating-the "premium seating" is the same as the rst of economy,albeit closer to the front of the aircraft.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by kb1992
CO elites will compete for upgrades on UA. OTOH, UA elites will have a hard time to get upgraded on CO because it's already often very difficult for CO Plats to get upgraded.
only on transcons, on midcons plat is almost a sure upgrade.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:22 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (1MM), AS MVP
Not an even trade obviously. The number of CO premium seats with extra legroom are very limited.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Was there this level of outrage, and comparison with each individual member airline's Y product when UA allowed all *Golds to access Y+?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:31 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
What's next? Let CO take over and eliminate SWUs.

I think it is only a matter of time untill both are one carrier, perhaps in 2011. My prediction is that LK comes out of his new Private Equity venture to head
'ConUni' or "UniCon". The job of the current UA management will be to 'prune' the airlind down, get rid of all the money losing operations, and take the union heat and stikes at UA that are sure to occur.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.