Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA elites to enjoy EUA/"premium" seating on CO, CO elites to get UDU, E+ on UA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA elites to enjoy EUA/"premium" seating on CO, CO elites to get UDU, E+ on UA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:01 am

Did you see the priority list in CO forum? Unless you are 1P or better, I think it will be very unlikely that you get upgraded unless you can confirm space in advance. Next we'll see that 2P's will only be entitled to E+ middle seats and a mileage bonus.

For travel on United, the clearing order will be:
United Global Services
United 1K
United Premier Executive
Continental Platinum Elite
Continental Gold Elite
United Premier
Continental Silver Elite
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SF1K
But UA only has two flights between SFO-EWR per day, and usually 8 or 12 F seats, even as a 1K I don't risk taking these and trying to upgrade. I either buy an A fare, or if upgrade space is available confirm it in advance. And now as a CO Plat I will probably be on CO and only if I can confirm in advance using an M or higher fare instant upgrade.
Or if schedule permits it, fly UA p.s. to JFK and confirm with the reinstated CR1. No chance of CO elites grabbing instrument-based or UDU seats on those flights!
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:09 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by kb1992
SWUs go away?

As soon as UA management follows CO and eliminates SWUs, I'll quit flying UA.
Agreed. I will fly other *A carriers in C to Asia and Probably focus more on OW and AA for C to F using EVIP's to Europe.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:10 am

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
Those complaining of E+ access for CO elites are IMO not being objective.

Some CO elites will now fly UA and have E+ access. However, it is equally true that some UA elites will now fly CO (while in the past they would have flown UA) so in the end it will be more or less a wash.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, National Executive Elite, Hertz Five Star
Remember the Northwest/Continental upgrades?

Continental and Northwest had reciprocal upgrades when they were in ST together. I assume this is something CO wanted with UA. Since their tiers were very similar, I know that as a CO Plat then, I got an upgrade on NW metal almost all the time. I can't remember if there was a time I didn't get an upgrade.

I know it's a small consolation, but one thing that CO does in E is offer meals during meal time, something that I never got in UA. A free hot cheeseburger as opposed to a $6-7 snackbox is much better don't you think?^

Another thing that I just thought about... Maybe the reciprocal upgrade is the reason why UA is adamant about us UA Eliters losing the 500's, regionals, and no complementary upgrades on PS flights.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Some CO folks appear unhappy about UA elites having any access to CO exit rows.... can't say that I blame them as there are so few good seats in CO Y. Some are talking about pressuring CO to rescind one of the few benefits we'll get on CO.

Originally Posted by iwillflytheworld
Those complaining of E+ access for CO elites are IMO not being objective.

Some CO elites will now fly UA and have E+ access. However, it is equally true that some UA elites will now fly CO (while in the past they would have flown UA) so in the end it will be more or less a wash.
When one is used to E+, CO Y is a big comedown. CO elites getting E+ is very, very lopsided. There is no E+ on CO. No amount of spin or COol aid can change that.

Living in Houston, I was very interested in what the UA elite would get on CO. I expected to get the shaft and that is pretty much what happened...and it appears that it is the same cramped coach 31" pitch seat that non-elites get. When I was CO elite I couldn't get upgrades a lot and I doubt that I would get more as a UA elite. Well I can fight for one of the 4 good exit row seats?

Last edited by Renard; Nov 17, 2009 at 10:28 am
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:27 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
(I posted this in another thread, but seems to fit in the discussion here a little better)

I personally think it shakes out like this:

>100,000 EQM adv. United
The SWUs, CR1s, 2nd highest upgrade priority on UA, 3rd on CO makes this a no brainer

75,000-99,999 EQM adv. Continental
Highest upgrade priority on CO, 4th on UA

50,000-74,999 EQM adv. United
3rd highest upgrade priority on UA, 5th on CO, exit rows on both

25,000-49,999 EQM adv. Continental
Not likely to get upgrades at all, E+ either way, might as well use the program with the best redemptions

Thoughts anyone?

Chris
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by SFOisHome
I am US Air Gold and flew on that number until June on UA. I had to beg for E+ seating, and more often then not was denied and told it was only for UA elites. This could have changed since June.
Still the same. US Elites and all other Star Gold Elites are not allowed complimentary E+ access. Some agents may take pity on you though.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:34 am

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
Originally Posted by Renard

When one is used to E+, CO Y is a big comedown. CO elites getting E+ is very, very lopsided. There is no E+ on CO. No amount of spin or COol aid can change that.
From a psychological or game theory point of view, I very much agree. The agreement is "unfair" for the reasons you explain.

My point is that in practice, the implications will be minimal. The E+ cabin won't be noticeably more crowded because of this.

Originally Posted by Renard
Living in Houston, I was very interested in what the UA elite would get on CO. I expected to get the shaft and that is pretty much what happened...and it appears that it is the same cramped coach 31" pitch seat that non-elites get. When I was CO elite I couldn't get upgrades a lot and I doubt that I would get more as a UA elite. Well I can fight for one of the 4 good exit row seats?
You can:
  • Pre-book a good exit row if available.
  • Hope for an EUA.
  • Get a confirmed instant upgrade on M fares.

While there will be cases where exit rows are taken and the EUA doesn't clear, there will be many cases where either one does work. If you want peace of mind, spend a little more and get a M-up.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by siricepick
I know it's a small consolation, but one thing that CO does in E is offer meals during meal time, something that I never got in UA. A free hot cheeseburger as opposed to a $6-7 snackbox is much better don't you think?^
But that comes at the expense of legroom. You can always bring or buy your own sandwich. You can't make legroom.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 17, 2009 at 11:21 am Reason: response to deleted quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
So as a LH Star Gold member I don't get access to E+ but now all CO Elites do? I thought LH and UA worked closely together with TA profit sharing, etc. and now they give CO elites this benefit. What a joke! A CO Silver member gets more than a Star Gold?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:42 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
I'm officially moving into the fortune-teller business at some point. In the meantime, let's all give a loud "YES WE CAN!" to the reciprocal expansion of our benefit across both carriers.
Yes we can
--not get advanced confirmed domestic upgrades anymore unless we spend lots of miles and points
--not get seats in E+ on many more flights, as they'll fill up early more often
--get E- seats on Continental that happen to be located at places Continental considers "premium" for no apparent reason
--switch to another carrier

Hurrah! Welcome to the Village!
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:43 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
>100,000 EQM adv. United
The SWUs, CR1s, 2nd highest upgrade priority on UA, 3rd on CO makes this a no brainer

75,000-99,999 EQM adv. Continental
Highest upgrade priority on CO, 4th on UA

50,000-74,999 EQM adv. United
3rd highest upgrade priority on UA, 5th on CO, exit rows on both

25,000-49,999 EQM adv. Continental
Not likely to get upgrades at all, E+ either way, might as well use the program with the best redemptions
Looks reasonable to me.

I'm still tyring to figure out if there's snowball's chance of getting my family upgraded on UA metal when all of the MP program enhancements are in place in 2010.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:45 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
I love this

As a NY-based UA flyer, I think the ability to reserve exit and bulk head Y seats in advance, on CO, is awesome. I was really hoping this would be the case, a big thumbs up to both carriers. And I openly welcome CO elites to enjoy E+. Thank you Merci Danke!
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 2p
This sucks! Wave goodbye to empty middles in E+. Say hello to JetBlue.

Edited to add: WOW. Just read the Upgrade hierarchy. 2P's are SCREWED. I thought it was bad before! I can't believe I wasted my time trying to make premier. What a joke. Thumbs WAY, WAY DOWN.

Last edited by jerriblank55; Nov 17, 2009 at 10:58 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.