Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA elites to enjoy EUA/"premium" seating on CO, CO elites to get UDU, E+ on UA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA elites to enjoy EUA/"premium" seating on CO, CO elites to get UDU, E+ on UA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
For what it's worth, when CO and NW elites enjoyed reciprocal benefits, NW elites could Y-up* (purchase a full Y fare and upgrade from the time of purchase, if inventory was available) on domestic CO flights just like their CO counterparts. Whenever the long-promised CO and UA reciprocity kicks in, I expect this model will be followed.
*B fares are also instant upgrade eligible.
As a perk unique to CO Platinum status, CO Platinums can also upgrade M fares from the time of booking. Whether 1Ks (and GSers) will net this benefit when reciprocity kicks in remains to be seen.
According to coinsider on the co forum GS/1K will have the same upgrade privilege as CO platinum when it comes to Y/B/M fares.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SF1K
According to coinsider on the co forum GS/1K will have the same upgrade privilege as CO platinum when it comes to Y/B/M fares.
You're right. Here's that post:
Originally Posted by CO Insider
Hi SF1K, yes, United's Elite customers will have the same access to our Elite instant upgrades for Y and B fares. Additionally, Global Services and 1K members will have access to instant upgrades for M fares just like Continental's Platinum Elite members.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 7:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
I will possibly be flying UA to SYD in August and don't know if reciprocity will take place by then. How much is E+ for LAX/SFO-SYD?
Old Jul 18, 2010, 2:57 pm

I am looking at a trip in October and I am 1k. Would it make any difference on whether I booked the actual CO flight on continental.com versus the UA code share on united.com? Right now, united.com doesn't allow us to select the seat.
Thanks
Old Jul 18, 2010, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by canred
Would it make any difference on whether I booked the actual CO flight on continental.com versus the UA code share on united.com?
As a general rule, never book a codeshare unless there's a substantial advantage (usually price). There are just too many disadvantages to codeshares.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Executive, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
As a general rule, never book a codeshare unless there's a substantial advantage (usually price). There are just too many disadvantages to codeshares.
I recently booked a codeshare - ticketed UA where I am 1P, but flown on US metal, in F cabin. My traytable had issues on the first leg of the RT flight (the long leg - a transcon). I wrote to UA since it was a codeshare and I bought the ticket on them. They sent me a $200 voucher. I'm not sure if US would have done the same especially since I am 1P on UA but nothing on US. Moreover I got the voucher on UA not US, which is much more useful to me. Due to *A I could have gotten the miles on UA either way, as a codeshare on UA or directly ticketed on US but since I bought the ticket on UA I went back to them for compensation. Interestingly, on my MP account the flight is listed as a US flight not as the UA codeshare. Makes sense because I check in to US but list my UA MP account.

Originally Posted by canred
I am looking at a trip in October and I am 1k. Would it make any difference on whether I booked the actual CO flight on continental.com versus the UA code share on united.com? Right now, united.com doesn't allow us to select the seat.
Thanks
If you go with the codeshare you should be able to obtain the record locator number for your flight on the actual carrier, in this case CO. Then you would look the reservation up on CO and select the seat there, or call them and ask them about seats over the phone. I bought an award ticket on CO, but for a UA flight. I could not get a seat from the CO website. But I called UA and asked them about it and them arranged the seat next to a second ticket purchased directly from UA - which was not an award ticket.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 18, 2010 at 3:54 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
The sixth CO flight in a month coming up later today. CO coach is really miserable. At least this flight I was able to snag an aisle seat in the back of coach. These flights have reminded me what it is really like to fly CO when all the FT spin is wiped away and the COol-aid side effects have worn off....a cramped sardine can.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by Renard
The sixth CO flight in a month coming up later today. CO coach is really miserable. At least this flight I was able to snag an aisle seat in the back of coach. These flights have reminded me what it is really like to fly CO when all the FT spin is wiped away and the COol-aid side effects have worn off....a cramped sardine can.
FWIW, an aisle seat in the "back of coach" on a United flight would necessarily suck just as much.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
FWIW, an aisle seat in the "back of coach" on a United flight would necessarily suck just as much.
Except for the fact that it's pretty well documented that CO's E seats suck worse (e.g., harder and shorter) than UA's E- seats.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 6:53 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
Yes...but I don't have to sit there. I made poor decisions back when I was under the influence of the lure of reciprocal seating benefits that I am starting to suspect won't even happen this year. I guess I have to learn the hard way sometimes.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Except for the fact that it's pretty well documented that CO's E seats suck worse (e.g., harder and shorter) than UA's E- seats.
Very true...CO seats are like sitting on a wood bench. I like UA's IFE better too. (read: Free)
Old Jul 20, 2010, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K
Very good advice

Codeshares can be horrible, unless you find a really great price.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
I agree, but since price is an issue, and assuming EUA is available to UA elites later this year, would anyone here think that UA codeshares on CO metal would get treated differently for upgrades than if purchased as a CO ticket?

I'm looking at a trip in November that would be UA metal outbound, and CO on the return. United.com will price it, but not ticket it* . I think I can buy it on Orbitz, and for less $ if the return is ticketed as a UA codeshare.

Thanks!

*We’re sorry, but due to technical issues, the quoted fare for your selected itinerary is not currently available for purchase. To purchase the itinerary you selected, please contact united.com customer support at 1-800-589-5582. Please be advised that fares may be higher than originally quoted.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 7:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by SFOTerry
assuming EUA is available to UA elites later this year, would anyone here think that UA codeshares on CO metal would get treated differently for upgrades than if purchased as a CO ticket?
They may still not allow codeshares to upgrade until day of departure, but we won't know until it happens.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 9:56 am

help -- continental elite + economy plus

I have a flight in an hour to SFO from ORD. I am in the last row, middle seat, but it seems there are plenty of economy plus seats open.

I am a Continental Elite Gold, and reading the Continental website, it seems that I should have access to Economy Plus at no charge. I'm in the RCC lounge right now and they insist that's not the case.

Does anyone know? Flight leaves in one hour...

Alex
Old Jul 25, 2010, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
I'm a 1K and I'm not receiving any CO benefits, other than *G boarding.
Seems like we're receiving equal reciprocal benefits at this time.
We're all looking forward to the time when these are expanded, mid year, but according to something other than the greco/roman calendar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.