Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

John Battelle Complains About UA CS on The Business Insider

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2009, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Location: Near Chicago and Under the MDW and ORD Flight Paths, IL, USA
Programs: UA recovering Premier

Haven't seen this on FT.

http://www.businessinsider.com/thank...-money-2009-11

So you're a Million-Miler, 1P and when you call UA for a reservation, you get India? And then whine because you have to pay top dollar when you buy tickets to Tucson the week before Thanksgiving?

Yep, that's him. Don't check the aircraft (only RJs fly non-stop SFO-TUS) and want an F seat (but call it "business"), confuse the rep, change how many seats you really want, hang up, call back, get p-o'd, then rant because you can...

Let's see... he doesn't know that he's a Premier Exec (he says "Executive Premier"), likes to lord his MM status and wonders why no one bows down to him.

The guy figures out his flights on Expedia, but then wants to call to book because he has to buy five tickets and wants upgrades. Pretty sure even dot bomb could handle that on the same PNR. The dimbulb also manages to figure out on the second try that he does, in fact, have the 1P reservation number in his Rolodex, but apparently doesn't punch in his MP number, so he gets routed to India on the second call.

He pretty much gets slapped around in the comments, but there are a few whiners who agree with him.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The Internet is a great pulpit for all kinds of morons.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by p1cunnin
Haven't seen this on FT.

http://www.businessinsider.com/thank...-money-2009-11

So you're a Million-Miler, 1P and when you call UA for a reservation, you get India? And then whine because you have to pay top dollar when you buy tickets to Tucson the week before Thanksgiving?

Yep, that's him. Don't check the aircraft (only RJs fly non-stop SFO-TUS) and want an F seat (but call it "business"), confuse the rep, change how many seats you really want, hang up, call back, get p-o'd, then rant because you can...

Let's see... he doesn't know that he's a Premier Exec (he says "Executive Premier"), likes to lord his MM status and wonders why no one bows down to him.

The guy figures out his flights on Expedia, but then wants to call to book because he has to buy five tickets and wants upgrades. Pretty sure even dot bomb could handle that on the same PNR. The dimbulb also manages to figure out on the second try that he does, in fact, have the 1P reservation number in his Rolodex, but apparently doesn't punch in his MP number, so he gets routed to India on the second call.

He pretty much gets slapped around in the comments, but there are a few whiners who agree with him.
There are a variety of interesting issues here:

1) As a 1P, I've never once been routed to the Indian Call Center. Perhaps 1P MM's (who have achieved the status for life, rather than qualified that year) are routed off shore? (doesn't make a lots of sense, but who knows)

2) Had he been routed to a North American UA 1P Call Center, I don't think that this would have happened

3) He seemed to have confused the agent with his questions about Business & First; I would have immediately assumed that UA wouldn't offer United Business to the Tucson market

4) Again, I think that the North American UA Call Center would have been able to better assist him with the number of seats he requested. Unfortunately though in either case, as most businesses do (simple supply & demand) there are only a limited number of seats available for each fare class. These complexities often confuse consumers, but it's the way the business works!
Old Nov 16, 2009, 9:59 pm

I wish he passed on the SFO-TUS flight!! Damn!! I better check...I hope I am not working the flight dealing with drama queen and his entourage!!!
Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The Internet is a great pulpit for all kinds of morons trolls.
Fixed it for you.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 1:00 am
Suspended

i hope people here post some comments on his blog. we don't want UA to get the wrong idea about him and give him some massive compensation.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 1:55 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA PLT
The guy does sound like a moron...however, I'm all for anything that exposes the horrible ICC. UA needs to shut it down and bring the call centers back to the UNITED States, where they belong.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 2:40 am

Sounds like a textbook case of DYKWIA. Honestly he would be better off finding a good travel agent instead of haranguing the ICC.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:20 am

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
If he is such a experienced flyer how come he doesnt know
the differene between direct and nonstop

What a pathetic whiner!
Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:24 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Well, I'll give him the whole ICC thing. I can't find fault there.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:43 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by globetraveler
1) As a 1P, I've never once been routed to the Indian Call Center. Perhaps 1P MM's (who have achieved the status for life, rather than qualified that year) are routed off shore? (doesn't make a lots of sense, but who knows)
I have a few times, but I think the issue for him was in not entering his MP # when calling (so even more his fault than UA's, other than the fact that UA uses an ICC at all).
Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:09 am

I've reached the ICC as a 1K . . . yes, I entered my MP number. This dude's whining about a small sample size - I'd hazard most 1K/1P members have been routed to the ICC every so often, especially when calling during a busy time of day.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:13 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat
And he wanted to PAY for domestic F. On a 90 minute flight. Clearly not playing with a full deck! If he's so knowledgeable about HIS airline, why did he not think to use e500s for him and his spouse to upgrade? He is an Executive Premier after all and flies tons of miles each year.

Lame!
Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K/Global Services, VS Silver, HH Gold
Regulalry visit that website and saw the posting and could not believe it. Based on his explitive filled posting all I could think of was "boo f***ing hoo". Another self important person who whines and cries when they encounter any little difficulty in getting things done, especially when they have the tools to have made their life easier (call 1P line, use dot.bomb, etc.). I pretty much fly UA exclusively (based near IAD) and though they are not perfect by any means I have been very happy with their overall service over the past couple of years. How is this for an idea, if this guy is so smart why not simply state the issue and provide some constructive thoughts on how to fix the issue. But no we get the typical blogger, complain complain complain.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
The guy supposedly flies so often, but doesn't even know about fare buckets. they have been the industry standard for so many years....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.