ORD B-18 RCC, prepare to stand and wait

Old Nov 13, 09, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT
ORD B-18 RCC, prepare to stand and wait

With the B6 RCC closed, I hit the B-18 RCC yesterday afternoon. It was packed. Standing room only throughout the entire club. The staff were very pleasant and the cleaning crew was actually keeping up with the turnover and snacks and such. The bathrooms were clean and the newspaper supply seemed to be fresh. I was actually there for quite a while and there was probably a 15 minute wait for a seat. If you were there with a guest, your chances of getting a collocated seat was zero.

If you have the time, you may want to venture to the C RCC, which I did not check out yesterday but find it hard to believe it could have been busier.
Old Nov 13, 09, 7:25 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Gold (almost LT Plat), Hilton LT ♢, National Exec,
I was going to comment on the F-concourse RCC in its own thread, but this one seems appropriate enough.

Four times in the last 3 weeks (twice for me, twice for my wife), it was S.R.O. at the small F club. Once on a Monday afternoon, once a Wednesday evening, and twice on a Thursday evening.

That club is simply TOO SMALL. While, yes, it's better than not having a club there at all, spending $500-plus a year for my wife and I to have a membership, feels like a slap in the face that I can't even get a seat.

Once I hung around 20 minutes until I could get a seat, the other time I went to Chili's and had dinner. My wife waited it out both times, and once didn't get a seat in 45 minutes worth of waiting.

This was all BEFORE they closed the one B Club for renovation.
Old Nov 13, 09, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, American Platinum
I was at the B-18 RCC yesterday as well at about 6pm. I couldn't believe how packed it was and immediately walked over to the C RCC. While busy, there were plenty of seats available in C.
Old Nov 13, 09, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by cohighcountry1k View Post
I was at the B-18 RCC yesterday as well at about 6pm. I couldn't believe how packed it was and immediately walked over to the C RCC. While busy, there were plenty of seats available in C.
COHIGHCOUNTRY1K, I was there at the same time as you yesterday. I actually arrived earlier and can say that it was not any different from 3PM onward. The seating area outside of the entry vestibule was standing room only as well.

I know that this has been exacerbated based on the B6 repairs, but yesterday was amazing.
Old Nov 14, 09, 11:31 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, SPG Ambassador & Lifetime Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Prez, AVIS 1st, Amtrak Select
I think the problem is compounded by the fact that most posters above seem to be hitting at the busy time--before European-bound flights when it's not just the RCC but all the *A types as well. I was there last week after that bank would have rolled out but also noticed a nice job by cleaning staff and constant refresh of snacks, etc. My concern/assumption given that it's UA is that the clubs are over-staffed at the moment and things will go back to normal when the extras return to B6.
Old Nov 14, 09, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC *S, Marriott Plat....
The F concourse RCC is probably busier than ever due to the growing number of UAX flights to everywhere... I thought that RCC was too busy in the evenings a couple years ago, now I am sure its probably insane.
Old Nov 14, 09, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
I hit B-18 a week ago, packed. Had gone to C RCC before, but just wasn't feeling it. B club was busier 'n hell for a while, then LH FRA boarded and it became an oasis. Amazing difference. B18 style + free booze would be a major upgrade of the whole RCC experience IMO.
Old Nov 14, 09, 1:58 pm
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
The F RCC has been almost SRO each time I've been there the past 2 weeks, although I was able to find a seat each time. Late morning (waiting for the ORD-SDF UX flight). B18 on Thursday morning was empty, but I was there at about 6:30am!
Old Nov 14, 09, 2:30 pm

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Titanium
For morning 9 am-noon, is B-18 RCC packed?

I am referring to pax for most Asia bounded flights.

When will B-6 RCC be completed?
Old Nov 14, 09, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
Is B18 the new modern RCC???

Also,

I think that UA should cap memberships to RCCs. If I join (which i did) I want to be able to have a seat and be away from the hustle of the terminal. Not in a busy standing room only "lounge" with no seats and waits to get in and speak to the CSRs there.

I agree that this is unusual because of the closeure to B8 but something needs to be done here possibly only allow RCC members and send all *G pax to C16?
Old Nov 14, 09, 4:53 pm

The C RCC had a line out the door yesterday the 13th...
Old Nov 14, 09, 5:25 pm
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
Is B18 the new modern RCC???
Yep.

Funny thing was on Thursday morning I forgot about the new entrance location and walked around towards B19 wondering where the door was! Signage was very weak, I thought. I did eventually find it.
Old Nov 14, 09, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by vkng View Post
The C RCC had a line out the door yesterday the 13th...
This is exactly what i mean in my previous post...
Old Nov 14, 09, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA*G, AA PLT, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kb1992 View Post
For morning 9 am-noon, is B-18 RCC packed?

I am referring to pax for most Asia bounded flights.
No so, as basically you can count how many widebodies flight in the morning use B16 and B17. UA1 and UA3 (weekends) always depart there. After that basically only have UA881 (NRT) at usually UA950 (IAD) between 12pm and 1pm. Therefore, there is only 1 or 2 at the most int'l flight during the early part of the day, much less *G traffic.

UA835, UA851, and UA895 always leave from C16, C18, C20, and of course NH 11 leave from C10 as well.
Old Nov 14, 09, 7:45 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Originally Posted by MBS PremExec View Post
I was going to comment on the F-concourse RCC in its own thread, but this one seems appropriate enough.
F RCC has always been a joke given that it's only even relevant for UX-UX transfers and the B8 RCC is 5 minutes away. Less a 2-minute stop to navigate other pax's feet and bags to fight for a couple crackers, there's never a reason to go.... except, of course, that the B8 is closed right now.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: