Wiki Posts
Search

Standard award and E+ - gone?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2009, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL 1K MM
Standard award and E+ - gone?

According to the phone agent I just spoke to, booking mileage seats using a standard award (50K miles domestic) no longer get s you access to economy plus? Is that correct? I sure missed that change if that's the case.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 8:30 am

Programs: UA G
If you're a 1K, you should have E+ access all the time on any sort of ticket. It even works if you're buying UA as a codeshare on another airline.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 8:31 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Is that versus booking a saver award ?

No, that's not true. As a 1K you have E+ access.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think at one point the standard award was treated as a full-fare Y ticket and gave automatic E+ access, etc. Perhaps the agent was stating that that no longer applies (or is confused).

All 3P, 2P, 1P, 1K, GS, and Economy Plus Access customers get E+ access on all of the itineraries they fly on.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by soitgoes
I think at one point the standard award was treated as a full-fare Y ticket and gave automatic E+ access, etc. Perhaps the agent was stating that that no longer applies (or is confused).

All 3P, 2P, 1P, 1K, GS, and Economy Plus Access customers get E+ access on all of the itineraries they fly on.
They removed the clause (Y/B gets E+) long time ago.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by unavaca
If you're a 1K, you should have E+ access all the time on any sort of ticket. It even works if you're buying UA as a codeshare on another airline.
Original poster here - I should have been more clear. I used my miles to buy standard award tickets for family members. I thought they would end up with E+ seats based on past history but I guess that's exactly what is is - past history.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
If you are booking for yourself... you absolutely would have E+ access.

However, if you are booking for a GM (or someone without status), they will not have E+ (unless they are flying with you).

FWIW, its been like this for a few years now.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 9:44 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by hans
According to the phone agent I just spoke to, booking mileage seats using a standard award (50K miles domestic) no longer get s you access to economy plus? Is that correct? I sure missed that change if that's the case.
Looks like you've been around awhile, but I will ask anyway......did you look at F Saver Awards for the same mileage requirement? I've seen this work on a number of occasions.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 9:45 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
There was actually a very long thread on this a few years ago when it changed... very disappointing... if you "pay" that many miles for a ticket, I think you deserve the E+...
Old Nov 9, 2009, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Looks like you've been around awhile, but I will ask anyway......did you look at F Saver Awards for the same mileage requirement? I've seen this work on a number of occasions.
I did check and there was nothing available - Christmas travel.

Last edited by hans; Nov 9, 2009 at 9:50 am Reason: clarity
Old Nov 9, 2009, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA-1K/GS, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Try changin your seat to E+ online. I just booked flights for my whole family and they had us seated in E-. I simply went online and chose different seats. All set.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by adisneyfan2
I just booked flights for my whole family and they had us seated in E-. I simply went online and chose different seats.
If you're flying with your family, that works. If not, no dice.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by soitgoes
..All 3P, 2P, 1P, 1K, GS, and Economy Plus Access customers get E+ access on all of the itineraries they fly on.
Unless of course you fly through HKG where the gate staff is Einsteinian in inventing new rules .. such as 1Ks not really being 1Ks or at least not all the time.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA MM/Gold, Hilton Gold, Sheraton Gold
As of September and October elites could book saver awards (to China) and get E+. I did. If I understand the question correctly...I did it all on line.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gonezen
As of September and October elites could book saver awards (to China) and get E+. I did. If I understand the question correctly...I did it all on line.
That's not the question here.

The issue is non-elite passengers on Standard (high priced) awards. In the past (it's been a while now), UA allowed those pax access to E+. Now they do not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.