FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   My United Upgrade Instruments (SWU/CR-1) Are Going to Expire - What Are my Options? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/1012198-my-united-upgrade-instruments-swu-cr-1-going-expire-what-my-options.html)

FlyertalkTW Feb 1, 2011 1:53 pm

What to do with soon to be expired SWU's??

Hi there,
I still have several SWU's, which are about to expire between February and Apil.

My current travel plans are on non UA/Lufthansa flights, so i think i will not make use of them.

Any suggestion how to make good use of these?
Is it allowed to trade SWU's against miles (i am sure selling is against policy)?

mahasamatman Feb 1, 2011 1:57 pm

Selling and bartering are both off-limits. Your (allowable) choices are generally to give them away or let them expire. Some people like to just pick random (or not so random) passengers at the airport to give them to.

Dcislander Feb 1, 2011 2:00 pm

I am in the same boat. I would rather not see them go to waste. I just called United and suggested that they allow us (I am GS) to apply expiring upgrades for the flights of service member returning home from duty abroad. I often see them in Frankfurt. The agent thought it a great idea, but like most jumbo organizations, i am sure it will die there. Im my SYUs will expire with no value, I am going to call the local USO and ask them.

FlyinHawaiian Feb 1, 2011 2:02 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...r-1s-swus.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...man-woman.html

speaking247 Oct 26, 2011 12:47 pm

Systemwide Upgrades

I have 7 systemwide upgrades that will be expiring soon (one in December, the other six in January), and it is a shame to let them go to waste (I will not be traveling internationally anytime soon, and I have plenty of regional upgrades). A gentleman at the United Club told me I could sell them, but I believe that is against the rules. Anyone have an idea on what I can do with them? Thanks! :D

PTahCha Oct 26, 2011 12:52 pm

Welcome to FT!

Yes, it is against program rules to sell or barter them. You can also use them to upgrade on domestic flights, save the regionals for the future since there'll be less of them going forward. Or gift them to friends and family members.

speaking247 Oct 26, 2011 1:04 pm

Thanks for the greetings and quick response, PTahCha. That's what I thought, and I just wanted to check. Many thanks, and God bless! ;-)

tarheelnj Oct 26, 2011 1:45 pm

If you do gift them, remember that they have to be used or waitlisted at least 24 hours before departure. They can't be used for at-the-airport BF upgrades.

WineCountryUA Oct 26, 2011 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by tarheelnj (Post 17340361)
If you do gift them, remember that they have to be used or waitlisted at least 24 hours before departure. They can't be used for at-the-airport BF upgrades.

For CO metal, however UA metal or LH does not presently have that restriction (but you still have the issue of needing to be authorize the gifting).

thomasj Oct 27, 2011 12:33 pm

Best use of 5 SWU's for some January Mileage?

I'm at 95,000 eqm's so far for this year, and I'll make it to 1K with no problems.

But the only problem is that I have 5 SWU's left (they expire at the end of January). And I would hate to waste them. I figure it would be good to do a mileage run or two in January to help get 2012 off to a good start (and I like to fly...so that helps).

Any suggestions on best routes (departing LAX) (for upgrade chances)? I checked some random dates in January for trip from LAX-LHR (connecting via ord or iad) and found NO upgrade availability.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

mahasamatman Oct 27, 2011 12:38 pm

I never have trouble finding NC on the SFO-ICN route (though I usually book with longer lead time than you're doing).

bseller Oct 27, 2011 12:39 pm

Check availability for LAX-SEA-NRT. Usually can find "reasonable" costs to NRT and ex-SEA flights are not too hard to upgrade.

Might even try to join the SIN DO over MLK weekend. ;) :D

Dave

garykung Oct 27, 2011 12:50 pm

Based on time being, you are going to waste them no matter what (unless UA is willing to extend that for you, which is unlikely in this year).

My suggestion:

1. Craigslist (although it is in direct violation of M+ T&Cs).

2. Trade it (but it is too bad you can't use the Couple Connection yet).

3. Waste it (Instead of UDUs/EUAs/CR-1, use SWUs first).

Or sponsor whoever you feel like it.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 17346206)
I never have trouble finding NC on the SFO-ICN route (though I usually book with longer lead time than you're doing).

But are you buying W or K ? :D

thomasj Oct 27, 2011 1:17 pm

thanks for the replies so far!

I priced ICN, NRT, and SIN.....all of those cities are coming back with fares in the $3k to $4k range for upgradeable economy! Must be the min stay requirement???

garykung Oct 27, 2011 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by thomasj (Post 17346457)
thanks for the replies so far!

I priced ICN, NRT, and SIN.....all of those cities are coming back with fares in the $3k to $4k range for upgradeable economy! Must be the min stay requirement???

And that's the reason I said you will waste your SWUs anyway.

AFAIK - a lot of 1Ks are in the same boat as you do (and that's why I don't want to become a 1K).

So you want to help UA to save money or let other to benefit, it will be totally up to you.