Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

My United Upgrade Instruments (SWU/CR-1) Are Going to Expire - What Are my Options?

My United Upgrade Instruments (SWU/CR-1) Are Going to Expire - What Are my Options?

Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by BigBossman
What does "CC" mean? In reference to above lines like, "I used CC to gift my SWUs"
CC is the Coupon Connection, which is a subforum available to members with a minimum number of posts and/or time.
You don't have the requisite number to see that forum.
Dave

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 27, 2010 at 4:32 pm
Old Oct 27, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3.7MM, Hawn Platinum, Hilton Diamond, PC Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Natl Exe Elite
Thanks to all

Originally Posted by dhammer53
I'm still learning from my teacher, even after all these years on Flyertalk. ^
I just want to thank all the veteran FTers for their invaluable advice. I learn so much by all of your comments. Before I joined FT, I thought I knew UA's program quite well. Now, I feel like a first grader listening to college professors. The great thing about this forum is that nobody shoots (or rarely) down another member for a question or comment. I see this type of behavior on other forums and it intimidates newbies (like me) from posting.

I have used the knowledge from FT on many occasions and have reaped the rewards of upgrades and other benefits. Aloha and Mahalo to all of you who contribute to this great forum!

Now all I need is to hear is that my SWU cleared for SFO-HKG on 11/19 and it will be a perfect day!
Old Oct 27, 2010, 1:42 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Smile

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy1987
I have sponsored 4 SWUs through .bomb. - absolutely painless to do.
I was sponsored via .bomb last April for my wedding in Taiwan. NRT>TPE and TPE>NRT cleared immediately. LAX>NRT and NRT>LAX legs took a little longer, but still cleared several days before the flight.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.3mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, IHG Diamond, National EE
1K Voice

I sent an email to 1K voice a couple of weeks ago asking them if I could sponsor some of our very deserving service men and women traveling home for the holidays since I have 9 SWU that are going to expire. No response at all, I thought they'd be all over that.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by zrs70
A friend of mine (not a FTer) has an SWU that expires this month. He called MP support and they offered to exchange them for Regionals. (I believe two of them) that will expire this December.
I wonder how your friend got this done. After seeing this post, I wrote United on Tuesday and requested just one of my 3 December expiring SWUs and they flatly rejected the request.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 8:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DullesJason
I wonder how your friend got this done. After seeing this post, I wrote United on Tuesday and requested just one of my 3 December expiring SWUs and they flatly rejected the request.
The exchange is not standard UA policy and there probably a memo out now reminding agents of that.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 9:07 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The exchange is not standard UA policy and there probably a memo out now reminding agents of that.
So, have anyone been successful in extending SWUs? I have few left and would like to do something with them.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by al613
So, have anyone been successful in extending SWUs? I have few left and would like to do something with them.
In recent years, in November, UA has offered to extend one (1) SWU to April, we have to wait and see if they do that this year. Otherwise you will not get an agent to extend SWUs.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 9:16 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
In recent years, in November, UA has offered to extend one (1) SWU to April, we have to wait and see if they do that this year. Otherwise you will not get an agent to extend SWUs.
Thank you! Did they ever exchanged them for miles?
Old Oct 28, 2010, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by al613
Thank you! Did they ever exchanged them for miles?
never have heard of that and not that I know of in a formal offer -- but with UA and the large population of elites most anything has probably happen.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
Yeah, that's probably as likely of an explanation as any. I have 3 expiring in December. I'll try to find a way to burn them though. My brother is flying IAD-FCO in a few weeks, so hopefully he can use one of them. I'll try to get to HNL or somewhere in Europe before the end of the year to burn the last 2. Not how I'd normally like to use an SWU, but it beats losing them.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K; AA Plat; B6 Mosaic; SPG Plat
If only there was a way to find paid-C passengers on a particular flight ... I could use my extra SWUs to sponsor their upgrade to F, opening up a seat for my waitlisted W-to-C upgrade on ORD-LHR in a few weeks.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I am hoping to get one of my two unused SWUs extended into February or even March/April. Today I was able to have the other one put towards a domestic transcon 777 flight I have booked for December and had upgraded with a CR1. The CR1 was put back into my account and will expire in June and one of my SWU was put against that booking. I do have one other SWU being used for a transPac in January but only the domestic flight was confirmed in C (NC), so I hope the Pacific flights get upgraded prior to departure or at the gate. Return has all been confirmed, so may have one more with 2-weeks left in January!
Old Oct 31, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by goldstj2
If only there was a way to find paid-C passengers on a particular flight ... I could use my extra SWUs to sponsor their upgrade to F, opening up a seat for my waitlisted W-to-C upgrade on ORD-LHR in a few weeks.
I was on IAD-FRA in paid C fare and was unable to use my SWU for upgrade to F both ways in mid October. So even this route is tough.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K
What to do with soon to be expired SWU's??

Hi there,
I still have several SWU's, which are about to expire between February and Apil.

My current travel plans are on non UA/Lufthansa flights, so i think i will not make use of them.

Any suggestion how to make good use of these?
Is it allowed to trade SWU's against miles (i am sure selling is against policy)?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 1, 2011 at 2:02 pm Reason: moved into existing thread

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.