Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Melbourne RCC should be moved to AirNZ Koru Club.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2009, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM,Bonvoy Titanium Elite

Does anyone know why United RCC has not moved to the Air New Zealand Koru Club? The transfer is such a success in Sydney.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:52 am

Programs: UA G
Really, shouldn't all RCCs be moved to (Insert *A Alliance Partner Here) Lounge?

(Although I'm not sure if UA would be allowed to participate in *A if they didn't have lounges...)
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:11 am

the little RCC room keeps Koru just a tad bit less crowded... keeps the uninitiated in the dark
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:13 am

Programs: UA Gold, MR Plat (life gold), SPG Gold
The staff at the desk there are great. Would be a shame to loose them -- unless they were placed at the other lounge.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by unavaca
I'm not sure if UA would be allowed to participate in *A if they didn't have lounges...
UA is a founding member with full veto power. They can pretty much do anything they want.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 3:50 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PDXUAFAN
the little RCC room keeps Koru just a tad bit less crowded... keeps the uninitiated in the dark
+1
Old Oct 25, 2009, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM,Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Tiojelly
The staff at the desk there are great. Would be a shame to loose them -- unless they were placed at the other lounge.
Great idea. They are great and should be moved over to the better lounge.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM
But the MEL RCC has the only can I've been to in the world with those oddball urinals sporting fussy, germ-laden covers...
Old Oct 26, 2009, 3:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Gold HH, JAL, LAN
+1 to keep it, it's the last one we have in Australia.

Staff are great, new coffee machine like my clients and it does the job.

If you are * G, why not just use the NZ instead and leave the RCC more empty?

I fail to see the reason in closing a RCC because someone with access to a better lounge choses to pick the lounge they disapprove of, you have access as 1K to the NZ lounge ThorHermes, so just use it instead.

Last edited by Nexus888; Oct 26, 2009 at 3:27 am Reason: Why Close a RCC?
Old Oct 26, 2009, 4:14 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Nexus888
+1 to keep it, it's the last one we have in Australia.

Staff are great, new coffee machine like my clients and it does the job.

If you are * G, why not just use the NZ instead and leave the RCC more empty?

I fail to see the reason in closing a RCC because someone with access to a better lounge choses to pick the lounge they disapprove of, you have access as 1K to the NZ lounge ThorHermes, so just use it instead.
+1 I agree wholeheartedly. We need more RCC not less. Options are good to have. Some did mention in a thread about which RCC would be the next to close and Melbourne came up. I don't think it would be a great loss as the NZ Koru is a great alternative, but having it open does definately deflect some traffic.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 4:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Gold HH, JAL, LAN
Originally Posted by schley
We need more RCC not less. Options are good to have. Some did mention in a thread about which RCC would be the next to close and Melbourne came up. I don't think it would be a great loss as the NZ Koru is a great alternative, but having it open does definately deflect some traffic.
Melbourne will be the next to go, once the lease runs out on space, as what happened in Sydney, but I seriously doubt the staff will be kept, they dont have the profile of Annie, but help day in day out for United customers something that is overlooked when then there is a fog delay into Sydney and affects connecting flights out of the US after arriving in LAX/SFO.

Club wise I have no issues, is far better than most RCC clubs in the US, hot food, "Decent" coffee, great serviceand they remember you rather than just a number.

Sure NZ might offer more, but if a UA customer is happy with the basics, why not enjoy it. Walk in, do your stuff, walk out to catch the plane.
Old May 28, 2010, 8:44 am
In Memoriam

Programs: UA 1K, RCC; AA EXP; HH Diamond; CC Gold
I understand not wanting to lose more RCCs, but after visiting the Koru Club in MEL, I wouldn't miss the RCC there if it were to close. The RCC isn't even connected to change seats/print boarding passes, etc.

Here's a few pics from the Koru Club. Loved watching the ramp work on the QF A380!

Old May 28, 2010, 12:57 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Mrs. MBS and I visited the MEL RCC in December while on F tickets...Was quite disappointed. Yes, the staff was really nice, however the food and ambiance was quite lacking. Was hoping for a First Class Lounge, but there wasn't one.

We actually discussed at the time why they had a RCC there (and not using a partner lounge). After seeing the above pics, I think there's even more of a case for dumping the RCC...That room for one flight a day seems like a waste to me, unless UA is getting the space from the airport authority pro bono.
Old May 28, 2010, 2:43 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
There was a separate lounge for F passengers--it is the door to the left of the reception desk. I was in it last year and the offerings are just a slight step above those in the regular RCC. I'll be passing through next week and will take photos if it is still there--nothing spectacular, but a quieter place with far fewer people.
Old May 31, 2010, 6:25 pm

Location: Los Angeles, CA USA UA Premier Plat , 1.24MM, AA EXP
NZ Koruclub in MEL better than RCC

I'm sitting here in the NZ Koruclub in MEL waiting for my UA flight 840 to SYD and on to LAX. At the check-in counter, the UA rep gave me directions to the RCC. I asked if there was an NZ lounge ( was spoiled by the NZ lounge that UA pax use in SYD). She said she did not know if I would be allowed in since there was a RCC there. You would think that UA check-in agents staffing C and F areas would know the *gold rules on reciprocol use of lounges.

Anyway, I walked straight into the RCC, saw that it was about the size of a large closet, and walked out and over to the very spacious NZ Koruclub. Its on the lower level, with very nice amenities. I just had a nice breakfast of eggs, sausage and bacon, along with a latte and muffin. Lots of fruits, sandwiches, soft drinks, full bar and a nice choice of beers. It also has a nice view of planes from the tarmac level. My current view is of a QANTAS A380 being towed slowly by.

I'm not sure why pax would prefer the RCC in MEL over the NZ Koruclub, except for the fact that the RCC will announce your flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.