FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   LAX-HNL 3 class cabin (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/1009393-lax-hnl-3-class-cabin.html)

blueslip Oct 24, 2009 3:54 am

LAX-HNL 3 class cabin

Normally, UA flies LAX/SFO/ORD/DEN-HNL using 777s and 763s with 2 class cabin. In one occasion, I was on 747 from SFO-HNL. I have 2 reservations in January with LAX-HNL segment on 763 which shows NC (Business) for upgrade. I confirmed this with the 1K Desk that this is a 3-cabin AC. Does anyone know if this AC is the same as the 763s that are used internationally? Thanks.

UAPremierGuy Oct 24, 2009 4:16 am

If it is showing as a 3-cabin-aircraft (what does the seatmap show?) then it would be the same as the 3-cabing used internationally. All 3-cabin 767's have now been converted to the the new configuration.

blueslip Oct 24, 2009 4:30 am

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy (Post 12700799)
If it is showing as a 3-cabin-aircraft (what does the seatmap show?) then it would be the same as the 3-cabing used internationally. All 3-cabin 767's have now been converted to the the new configuration.

Awesome!

ual744777sta Oct 24, 2009 5:06 am

What dates are your HNL flights?

LAXOGG Oct 24, 2009 5:10 am

Originally Posted by blueslip (Post 12700765)
Normally, UA flies LAX/SFO/ORD/DEN-HNL using 777s and 763s with 2 class cabin. In one occasion, I was on 747 from SFO-HNL. I have 2 reservations in January with LAX-HNL segment on 763 which shows NC (Business) for upgrade. I confirmed this with the 1K Desk that this is a 3-cabin AC. Does anyone know if this AC is the same as the 763s that are used internationally? Thanks.

What specific dates? I checked seat maps on a lot of dates and all showed as standard 777 and 763.

ual744777sta Oct 24, 2009 5:24 am

There are flights that are marketed with connecting flights across the pond into Europe. They will show C (now J) class availability. However in reality the availability will be exactly the same as F.

windchill Oct 24, 2009 5:42 am

NC seats have been available for years to Hawaii on two cabins either due to the connecting flight numbers through SFO or LAX or the connecting aircraft going into to those two.

On occasion there will be a reposition 74 or 777 to HNL to then go on and fly the HNL to NRT route.

I've been told that the demand for 3 cabin revenue seats between the mainland and Hawaii is very low and that's why it is no longer offered. The same OPS person told me the last time UA scheduled 3 cabin service to HNL from the mainland was when they flew the 74's from HNL to SYD and the DC-10 between ORD and HNL in the 90's.

Downunder girl Oct 24, 2009 7:10 am

Lucky you if it is truly a 3 class cabin ^. I just flew the 2 cabin 767 to HNL return and they are not impressive.

Oh how I wish UA would bring back SYD HNL route.... I have flown that route in the 90's and would love to do it again :D. A bit off topic, but does anyone know why they took it away?

kmfdm91 Oct 24, 2009 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Downunder girl (Post 12701145)
Lucky you if it is truly a 3 class cabin ^. I just flew the 2 cabin 767 to HNL return and they are not impressive.

Oh how I wish UA would bring back SYD HNL route.... I have flown that route in the 90's and would love to do it again :D. A bit off topic, but does anyone know why they took it away?

I have no clue why they took the SYD-HNL route away, but you can do some similar flights with *A -

Last year on a *A Award, I went: DCA-(UA)-ORD-(UA)-YVR-(AC)-HNL-(NZ)-AKL-(NZ)-SYD

Just because there was no availability on any of the SYD flights on UA. Not only did we get a ~20 hour layover in HNL, but we got a good ~12 hour layover in YVR and the actual stopover in AKL was great...plus of course the final destination of SYD :)

-jeremy

kenhawk Oct 24, 2009 11:06 am

Try doing a dummy booking for your specific flight and check the seat map for a 3 cabin aircraft. I would bet $$ (and the answer key to the halfway to Hawaii game) that it is a 2 cabin plane with F class being sold as business.

PanHam Oct 24, 2009 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Downunder girl (Post 12701145)

Agreed - the two cabin flights are nothing special - especially with the profound cuts in Hawaii service over the past two years, or so.

A three cabin flight would certainly ease the pain, a bit, but, I bet it would be filled with upgraders. I think, even now, there are few full-fare F pax to Hawaii.

boifromtroy Oct 24, 2009 1:18 pm

IIRC, Flight 934/935 is marketed as HNL-LAX-LHR so it is probably the flight with "C" availability showing...

Potreroflyr Oct 24, 2009 3:05 pm

747 ord-hnl

FYI (slightly off topic, but) It was noted elsewhere that UA is scheduling 747s (3-class) from Chicago to Honolulu over the peak Christmas holiday. And pricing accordingly :eek:

You could always fly LAX-ORD-HNL :)

Ripper3785 Oct 24, 2009 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by blueslip (Post 12700765)

Originally Posted by LAXOGG (Post 12700882)
What specific dates? I checked seat maps on a lot of dates and all showed as standard 777 and 763.

I checked LAX-HNL every day in Jan, and there's no 3-class on any day. 1K desk agent was wrong.

Your flight # is a continuation of an intl or domestic 3 class flight, thus the NC you're seeing.