Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

what is happening when the computers go down? and why often in Hawaii?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2009, 8:10 am
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

I don't know if it's just my pattern of luck, but several times flying out of Hawaii over the past many months (including last night), the "computers are down", leaving check-in and gate operations in a primitive state. Luckily I usually have checked in online and printed BP already.

But I am curious, what is happening when this happens, and is it unusually common for Hawaii for some reason? (esp. KOA and LIH) Does it have to do with internet outages?

Last edited by TA; Oct 23, 2009 at 8:19 am
Old Oct 23, 2009, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
If it is limited to HI, I wonder if it is tied to some update, backup, or shutdown that they try to do during offpeak (mainland USA) times?
Old Oct 23, 2009, 8:55 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Could it be that the State of HI owns the computers? I think they own all the Mr. Chickens, which are supposed to be able to service different airlines, IIRC....
Old Oct 23, 2009, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
When UA got rid of the mai tais, the computers started drinking them, made with all the dark rum that was also evicted from the planes.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 3:18 pm
sjl

Programs: 1K, SPG Gold, HH Gold
I was told by one agent the computer systems are old and overloaded. It's quite frustrating for them too.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sjl
I was told by one agent the computer systems are old and overloaded. It's quite frustrating for them too.
Isn't it the same system at every domestic (and int'l?) UA station?
Old Oct 24, 2009, 5:10 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
While I don't have the answer, I have to concur with the OP that this happens way too frequently at KOA. I'd say about 25% of the time the computers are down in my experience, including my departure last week. Allowed them to blame our 30-minute delay which was really mechanical (failed engine start which required an external assist) on the computers, though.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Erasmus
While I don't have the answer, I have to concur with the OP that this happens way too frequently at KOA. I'd say about 25% of the time the computers are down in my experience, including my departure last week. Allowed them to blame our 30-minute delay which was really mechanical (failed engine start which required an external assist) on the computers, though.
UA's still responsible either way right? It's not like computer problems are like ATC or weather problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.