Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EQM when using VDB voucher

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
EQM when using VDB voucher

Hi,

I had received 4x$50 (total $200) vouchers when I VDB'd for a flight this summer...

And I was wondering if I would get EQM for the ticket that I book with this voucher.

I am thinking about making a trip from JFK to SFO so after using this, it would come down to about $50~70 (270-200).

Right now I have 32,000EQM... so if this could work out, it would be

(2586 + 2586)*2 for DEQM = 10344

32,000+10,344 = 42,344

and if I add my trip to Seoul (8250 miles) in the winter

I would right above the threshold...

So would this work out and give me some extra rooms in my baggage next year? (in the 90s and early 2000s, I used to pack 32KG per bag, but now all airlines impose 23KG, so I have been cutting down a lot in my bags)

Thanks!
Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, samwise6222!

Yes, any non-free ticket you book, regardless of whether or not you use discounts or vouchers, will earn (D)EQM.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Thanks for the quick reply!

So when you say "non-free ticket" does that mean the ticket has to be a greater value than the voucher you have?

Say that you have $170 ticket purchased with $200 voucher. Would that not qualify for it?

Thanks!
Old Oct 22, 2009, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by samwise6222
Say that you have $170 ticket purchased with $200 voucher. Would that not qualify for it?
I was generally referring to awards and DBCFREE tickets. I'm not sure what happens if you get a ticket down to $0.00 with vouchers, but I suspect it will still earn miles and EQM.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA, WN, Marriott, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Nope, we were just implying that any revenue ticket (not an award ticket booked using miles or the DBC FREE voucher) will earn miles, regardless of whether you use your vouchers or not. And whether you can either use your vouchers to pay for all of the ticket or you have to pay some of the balance on a credit card, you'll still earn miles as if you paid in full with a card. Wordy, but hope that clarifies. Your e-receipt will still show the full $ amount of the ticket, and below will detail how much you exchanged in vouchers in addition to the balance put on your card.

Lol.. mahasamatman beat me to it.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt. RewardsNetwork dining.
Originally Posted by samwise6222
Hi, I had received 4x$50 (total $200) vouchers when I VDB'd for a flight this summer... And I was wondering if I would get EQM for the ticket that I book with this voucher.
Hi, I took a VDB two weeks ago. The two other volunteers got a lower-48 free ticket; I asked the agent if it was possible to get a voucher instead. For the reason you mentioned: if I use the $400 to purchase a ticket that ticket will earn EQM, as opposed to a free ticket.

So... Yes.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'm not sure what happens if you get a ticket down to $0.00 with vouchers, but I suspect it will still earn miles and EQM.
Of course it will... the ticket is still a revenue ticket with a non-zero fare basis. It simply has an A/C (add-collect) of $0. That is certainly the case for Type B vouchers. For Type A, the base fare can go to $0, but the fare basis is still non-zero (it is the original fare basis, with discounts taken as separate line items, which used to be visible back when the fare details were still shown on the e-receipt) and AFAIK it's still a revenue ticket and earns miles - otherwise, we would have heard all about it by now from people who've booked $0 fares using e-certs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.