Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Amazing video about United from 1979 - "DIAMONDS IN THE SKY - 2, RUNNING AN AIRLINE"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amazing video about United from 1979 - "DIAMONDS IN THE SKY - 2, RUNNING AN AIRLINE"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2009, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by kenhawk
Thanks for sharing that video! I loved it. It was particularly interesting that the narrator's perspective on UA 1 was that it was not luxurious. Based on travel today - it was extravagant! (His coach meal was my F class meal recently.) I wonder how he would have felt about a BOB box that the customer has to pay for now during that same 9 hour flight in coach.
Perhaps my eyes fool me, but it did look like the configuration in Y was 2-4-2, whereas it's now 3-4-3 on the 744s. I know the DC10s were initially 2-4-2 before they became 2-5-2. On the other hand, F and C seats seem to have have improved pretty much across the board (as bad as today's two-class F product to Hawaii may be). And at least we have E+ now.

Interestingly, the employee headcount and fleet numbers quoted from 1978 are nearly identical to today (excluding regional employees and RJs). Yet the 40 million annual passengers a UA official discussed appears to be about half of what UA carries today. Besides all the outsourced flying, I guess it helps that they're no longer flying 737s to pick up one dude in Ely, Nevada!
Old Oct 22, 2009, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA PLT
Originally Posted by UNITED863
Fun video to watch... thanks for posting the link OP!

Did any of the other tail-number-spotters notice which DC-10 they were inspecting in the video after the birdstrike? It was N1819U, the Sioux City UA232 airplane. Kind of eery. And it was the #2 engine to boot.
Wow - good observation...and very eery.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:40 am

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
This was great

Why don't UA show this instead of the stupid short features? Minus the smoke in the cabin scene perhaps!!

Thanks!
Old Nov 4, 2009, 6:57 pm

Programs: rapidly diminishing
Anyone signing up for Movember ought to check out the impressive moustache at around the 26:30 mark - it's the finishing at the ends that deserves special mention.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
2 things that really stuck out to me... the Las Vegas segment with all the people smoking. And the Flight Attendent (Stewardess) graduation. Wow. Pretty emotional!
Old Aug 17, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Just found this video. Posting here since I hope Jeff (or more importantly the board) will watch over the weekend. Great stuff and brings a tear to my eye given recent experiences on UA.

Here is the YouTube link btw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5_VZL5Obc4
Old Aug 18, 2012, 6:07 pm

The most fascinating part of this is the focus on stress in the system from the spike in passengers following the deregulation-induced cut in fares during the summer of 1978.

In many ways it's similar to the current stress of the SHARES conversion...

1) 11:30 in...Ferris admitting the hold times and service levels are not up to snuff, though not offering any real solutions. Then the front line reps talk about how poorly prepared they are with 30 min+ hold times.

2) 29:15....

The management team meeting where they are briefed on deteriorating customer service metrics. The UA Insider equivalent notes the increasing number of complaints from 'full fare' travelers as a result of the system being stressed by leisure low fare travelers.

Then she talks about how 'casual' travel has become ,etc.

If flyertalkers were around then they would be calling for the imminent demise of United after seeing these segments.

And that 747 to Hawaii...first class pitch doesn't look any better than coach. We'd be calling that the ghetto bird today.

Great stuff - think about it before calling the sky falling today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.