Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GS status based on miles (not revenue) ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2009, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K3MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hertz PC
Question GS status based on miles (not revenue) ?

The united FAQ on this forum suggest that GS status can be granted to people flying "lots of miles" rather than the expected "lots of dollars" ;-)

I am wondering if anyone in the community has experienced this ... how many miles did you had to fly ?

I never flew much beyond 100K per year before but I am getting close to 200K BIS this year and wondering if this could happen to me ..
Old Oct 19, 2009, 9:57 pm

Its a bit of both. Its a minimum number of BIS in specific high/full fare booking classes -- FACDYB. For example, I work with a GS that made it with two C-tickets to Asia.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA GS
Clearly if your miles were combined with a lot of miles on hi-yield fares (at least 50,000 miles), you have a chance. As you have undoubtedly seen on other posts in this forum, GS determination is somewhat of a black box.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K3MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hertz PC
I should have mentionned that in my case I have absolutely no full economy fares or premium cabin fares ... Just lots of discounted H Q V W T S and L fares primarily domestic flights (the few transatlantic fares I have are V or Q if I recall properly)

I guess I won't hope too much ...
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA GS
You may be surprised

Don't give up. You never know......as I said, this is really a black box. GS was the last thing I expected to receive at the end of last year. I was totally shocked to see the designation on "My Mileage Summary" when I logged in on 12/31/2008. (I had over 250K BIS miles, but I had significantly less than 50K high yield miles)

The change in status did effect my flying in 2009. I flew 50K high yield miles this year to make sure I requalified for GS in 2010. In my case, I spent a lot more in 2009 than I would have if I had not been upgraded to GS.

Last edited by LAXOGG; Oct 19, 2009 at 10:49 pm Reason: Added thought
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pbr6891
I should have mentionned that in my case I have absolutely no full economy fares or premium cabin fares ... Just lots of discounted H Q V W T S and L fares primarily domestic flights (the few transatlantic fares I have are V or Q if I recall properly)

I guess I won't hope too much ...
Without significant mileage in high-yield fares, GS would seem very unlikley.
there are a number of non-GS 200k+ (and more) FTers.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:29 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
I am going to be at close to 200K EQM this year... would LOVE to get GS.... but not holding my breath - only two C tickets this year, and both were domestic.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
i've ran into a few GS pax riding in F. They all said they got it by flying like 400K BIS miles a year. I guess, if you fly that much, you're pretty much a shoo-in.

So if I win the lottery tomorrow and want GS, can I just buy like four roundtrips in F to Australia from the US for myself this year and make GS?
I'd be contributing $100K revenue to UA and flying about 51K BIS miles...
Old Oct 20, 2009, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by bniu
So if I win the lottery tomorrow and want GS, can I just buy like four roundtrips in F to Australia from the US for myself this year and make GS?
I'd be contributing $100K revenue to UA and flying about 51K BIS miles...
Just take $50k of your winnings and pre-pay for a year's travel with PassPlus. That will get you your GS fix.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I've seen varying reports here on whether local station managers have any input into GS - or whether it is entirely the remit of WHQ and pretty automated.

(This is disregarding CIP's who often get GS as a bennie for being a big shot at a very important commerical UA account, and as we know that person might fly zero mies on UA and still get his card.)

Any thoughts?

i.e. might the UA manager of Argentina or Vietnam be able to endorse a handful of GS that may not have a hope of getting there if they were based out of DEN or SFO etc. . on either $$$s or miles on high yield?
Old Oct 20, 2009, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by ozstamps
I've seen varying reports here on whether local station managers have any input into GS - or whether it is entirely the remit of WHQ and pretty automated.

(This is disregarding CIP's who often get GS as a bennie for being a big shot at a very important commerical UA account, and as we know that person might fly zero mies on UA and still get his card.)

Any thoughts?

i.e. might the UA manager of Argentina or Vietnam be able to endorse a handful of GS that may not have a hope of getting there if they were based out of DEN or SFO etc. . on either $$$s or miles on high yield?
hmm, GS customer who flies 0 miles with United == zero cost to United.
United doesn't really lose anything at all here, he ain't gonna fly...
Old Oct 20, 2009, 7:37 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
I fly mostly Northeast US and Canada in a mix of fares and made GS.

I spent a boatload of money with UA last year though-all short segments!

I am also CO* too! (I need to stay home more!!!)
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Does anyone know of anyone with 250k EQM who is not GS. I'm wondering if there is some magic number of EQM that will get you in even if you only buy cheap seats.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
I don't think there is any sort of magic number that will get you in on thousands of miles worth of cheap fares. Those are the customers UA loses money on (because the SWU's they give them are worth way more than the revenue they get on an annual basis).

There is, on the other hand, a mysterious magic number of people who fly (almost) exclusively on high premium fares that only fly 30K BIS or so who have made GS.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:25 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by 5khours
Does anyone know of anyone with 250k EQM who is not GS. I'm wondering if there is some magic number of EQM that will get you in even if you only buy cheap seats.
There are many.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.