Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Do we want/need E-Upgrade transferability? Straw poll HERE ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2002, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

As most know on Live Chat, September 12, 2002 we will be visited by Robert Sahadevan. (President, United Mileage Plus)
This is a neat chance to get his views and the last chat was interesting. Sadly he assured us then (in writing) that E-500 milers would be readily transferrable which we now know was 100% Grade A Baloney. They have NEVER been transferrable in practice in my experience and that of the majority of other posters here.

I cannot understand why 500 milers cannot be transferred at will as HK49s can now be. In fact, as there is a secure area of UAL.com where we can now SEE all EUG it surely is not rocket science to allow one to request a transfer via that portal? All you need know is the other MP account #. The prompt would say the transfer is final and CANNOT be reversed. Click "agree" and you are done. Expiry date would remain as same dates they had in your account.

I am sure the issue of transferabilty will come up in the chat. It would be instructive for him to be appraised of the MAJORITY feelings of regular fliers. He may take zippo notice, but who knows?

Can anyone interested please answer just either A, B or C to this question:

I would like to see my 500 miler upgrades be readily transferrable via MP, phone agents, RCC, CTO or internet etc:

Yes - vote "A"

No - Vote "B"

Dont Care - Vote "C"

Old Aug 26, 2002, 7:42 am

Programs: SPG Pref+, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, BA Blue, AA Riff-Raff, UA Unwashed, Travel Anonymous Platinum
Yes
Old Aug 26, 2002, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Vote "A" /YES
Old Aug 26, 2002, 11:31 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
A!
Old Aug 26, 2002, 11:34 am

"A"
Old Aug 26, 2002, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
A (yes!)
Old Aug 26, 2002, 12:09 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Duh!!!
Old Aug 26, 2002, 12:09 pm

I doubt there will be anyone against this move. It increases the flexibility of the upgrades we've earned....but I think one of the motivating factors of going electronic was so that UAL could prevent people from doing this.

How do they know that one isn't making a business off of ebay doing this kind of stuff...

[This message has been edited by juanvaldez (edited 08-26-2002).]
Old Aug 26, 2002, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
A
Old Aug 26, 2002, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
A
Old Aug 26, 2002, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by juanvaldez:
I doubt there will be anyone against this move. [This message has been edited by juanvaldez (edited 08-26-2002).]</font>
UA/Mileage Plus might be against this .

As long as these changes would not affect our current "earning rate" I'd obviously vote for improved and streamlined 'transferability' of UA upgrades.

However such a change would most likely reduce the "breakage rate" and I'd be afraid that UA would ratchet down the rate at which earn upgrades to compensate?

500 milers can be used to upgrade traveling companions ("Companion: Upgrade is not transferable, but may be used to upgrade one traveling companion to the same class of service following the same guidelines.") And we get 500 miles when they expire.

Confirmed North American Upgrades are fully transferable ("This upgrade is transferable,...").

So things are not so bad presently. Sometimes it is best to leave things as they are?

Old Aug 26, 2002, 12:49 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
C - have never needed to do it, probably never will.
Old Aug 26, 2002, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
A - I agree that if the HK-49's can be transfered why not the 500 mile E-certs too.
Old Aug 26, 2002, 1:57 pm

Don't forget the assignability vs. transferability distinction, discussed before. Strictly speaking, even the HK49s aren't transferable, just assignable. As were the E500s, for a while...
Old Aug 26, 2002, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Transpac. Is that an "A", "B" or a "C"? Or a litle of each?

------------------
~ Glen ~

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.