Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Decisions Made. Strict Enforcement of Rules. Read this!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2002, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Location: Memphis, TN USA UA 1K, NW Platinum, AA Gold, Starwood Platinum, HHonors Gold

I just got off the phone with a 1K International Res Angel, and she just left a meeting and there have been wholesale changes. Here is some of what I remember she said....

No Waivers, No Favors - NO EXCEPTIONS.
There will be NO Exceptions to the fare rules. They will be strictly enforced. She advised me to double check the fare rules before purchasing because after purchase you are stuck to their most strict application - Every RULE!

She said that meetings have been taking place between US Airways and UA people and they are bringing their programs in alignment.

She said that STANDBY for same day travel is OK. You must standby, no same day changes permitted.

1K rooms are history. All are closing.

It would seem that Non-refundable tickets are now worthless unless used. Miss your flight, and you are out of luck. If they are going to be applying the fare rules strictly.

She said that big changes are coming shortly on upgradable fares. Many of them are going to be made ineligible for upgrading by a notation in the fare rules. Again, they will be enforced.

She said that they are unable to be 'nice' and do much in the way of anything. She stated that it is suggested that as Northwest Airlines Agents must input a Waiver Code for anything done, that UA Agents have been told that they are NOT ALLOWED to make any exceptions.

She also said that they are upset, because they know the response they are and will get from the 1K's. She said that those who made the decisions will have no contact whatsoever with the customer, and that frustrates them. Her hands have been tied.

She said a few other things, but this is the bulk of it. O, she said that just wait to see the fees which will be religiously collected.

She will call me again Thursday to let me know what happens at a meeting then.

Rather sad.
Old Aug 27, 2002, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can believe this quite easily. Other airlines (DL and AA) have done this, so can UA.

The emphasis is going to be on revenue, revenue, revenue.
Old Aug 27, 2002, 8:08 pm

Programs: SPG Pref+, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, BA Blue, AA Riff-Raff, UA Unwashed, Travel Anonymous Platinum
OH man, this is sad.... I truly hope there is something to offset all those changes in the long run (ie after getting through BK process). If not, UA has a good chance of joining PA and EA in the Great Blue Yonder...

I've got a reservation in November that I'm using SWU to upgrade. Will I expect hassles about it, as I'm using a friend's SWUs? And should I go imediately ticket my award travel, which I just booked this afternoon?

[This message has been edited by UA_Eagle (edited 08-27-2002).]
Old Aug 27, 2002, 9:48 pm

There's something to be said for cycles. Maybe this overly tough stance will allow UA to become profitable again, and relax the rules again. We'll see.

UA Eagle, it's a good idea to get a letter from your friend that confirms that friend hasn't been paid, etc. Also, some fares are SWU upgradeable only by 1K's, so make sure your fare isn't one of those (if your profile is correct and you're not a 1k).
Old Aug 27, 2002, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Will we be able to exchange restricted international tickets for new tickets of a greater value (with or without a change fee)?
Old Aug 27, 2002, 10:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Well they better make the fare rules clear on their website . . . This is the biggest problem I have with "odd" restrictions. The websites don't always have the full set of rules. E.G. Expedia doesn't list standby rules while Travelocity does. Same goes for fare classes. If you can't book by fare class easily, how can you choose the fare with the rules you want (assuming you can find the rules).
Old Aug 27, 2002, 10:55 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
I was afraid when I heard about the USAir changes this morning, that it might be something that the other carriers raced to "match" like a fare war, I just hoped it would take a little longer than this

Beware of my milestones. The September 11th attacks occured 2 days before my first full trip as a Premier Exec was scheduled, and now as I post my nine hundred, ninety-ninth FlyerTalk post, this happens!

God forbid I hit 1K!
Old Aug 27, 2002, 10:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
A black day in UA history for me.
Old Aug 27, 2002, 11:28 pm

Just had the same meeting here in Melbourne this morning. Sydney had it also. The Bean counters are watching everything we do now.
Old Aug 27, 2002, 11:44 pm

For those long time UA flyers, has there ever been a point in UA's recent (25 year) history where United has locked tight everything, and then slowly opened up again? Like Gulf war? Any input would be appreicated.
Old Aug 27, 2002, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
I'll probably repeat myself in another thread when it gets created.

I don't mind standby without confirmed same day changes.

I don't mind upgrades restricted to fares other than V, W, T (expect to hear this very soon)

I do mind not being able to reuse an unused ticket of greater than $100 value on a future trip if I am unable to use it on the original trip.

I don't mind SWU being limited to H fares or higher - it still saved me using miles.

These are some things I have to give up to be able to still have an airline to fly. The alternative is still SWA, and I'd prefer not to fly them, given a choice.
Old Aug 28, 2002, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Sad news.

And sadder we need to read it here. At least we are softened up a bit. Imagine the other 99.9% of MP members who are not pre-warned by FT, and will assume things are "as usual". Wow some employeees will get some terrible FLAK and abuse, at a time when their morale is already terrible.

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Aug 28, 2002, 12:40 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozstamps:
Sad news.

And sadder we need to read it here. At least we are softened up a bit. Imagine the other 99.9% of MP members who are not pre-warned by FT, and will assume things are "as usual". Wow some employeees will get some terrible FLAK and abuse, at a time when their morale is already terrible.

</font>
Exactly, I'm curious how and WHEN they plan to communicate this to us. With the No-Same-Day Change policy going into effect Wednesday (18 mins from now in the PST), when exactly were they planning on informing us? Let alone the employees? I was planning on purchasing about 5 RT tickets for September later this week, were they going to tell me then? Does United.com website now tell us - I don't think so. I guess the overall word to sum up the feelings of many of us today, is frustrated. Or perhaps scared, as one poster put it, of what may be announced tomorrow, or any other day for that matter. :-(
Old Aug 28, 2002, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyingRev:
No Waivers, No Favors - NO EXCEPTIONS.
There will be NO Exceptions to the fare rules. They will be strictly enforced
</font>
I can understand your upset, Rev. Those of us who are frequent DL flyers have been dealing with this for over a year now, and very similar language was used to explain it then. Uncle Leo Mullin calls it his "SGB" policy, which stands for Simply Good Business. However, most DL customers feel that "Scary Goons B*tching" might be more appropriate.

You can live through it. You just have to be adept at finding the actual loopholes in the rules, as opposed to finding "angels" who would bend or break them on your behalf.
Old Aug 28, 2002, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">You just have to be adept at finding the actual loopholes in the rules, as opposed to finding "angels" who would bend or break them on your behalf.</font>
Great point. Can you illustrate with a few examples? I know that will be DL and not UA, but it will help. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.