Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United's Unlimited Domestic Upgrades Program (Data through March 18, 2010) [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United's Unlimited Domestic Upgrades Program (Data through March 18, 2010) [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
So how would this tie in with the new co-pay system that is supposed to become effective January 12, 2010?
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Yeah, I can see this being problematic when flying with a spouse or child.
The system will automatically upgrade the next elite flyer flying solo if it boils down to one more seat to upgrade. It's going to suck for 1Ks traveling with children or the S.O.

That's why I like AA's system. I'm battling close to 99.9% on upgrades this year.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by cepheid
...Unless e500s are maintained and allow people to trump the list, with complimentary upgrades coming only after all those who are willing to pay with instruments have been processed... of course, that means 1Ks may not ever bother with instruments, since why spend when you can get it for free?
Well, if it worked in a manner like what you laid out it would certainly benefit 1K's to use 500's or CR1's to confirm the u/g's ahead of time if they really want the upgrades. So with that in mind, I don't see too many 1K's not using their region 1 certs (assuming they still have an active role) in order to get freebie.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 2P
As a 1P, I'm simply put not very stoked about this, but, lets be honest, it's not like I'd have any better options anywhere else in terms of upgrading, and United's route system is most convenient for me. I'll wait to see what comes up with the email tomorrow.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 3:00 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Not a good news for me

although I will be 1K soon. This is not fair for other members if no more e-500s or CR1s. Just yesterday I mentioned to my friend that unlike AA, UA's upgrade system is more fair, but ...
Old Oct 12, 2009, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Dang...looks like this 2010 1P is going to be spending more time in coach.

For what it's worth, it looks like my primary 2010 travel destination will be Dallas, thus sending me back to AA anyway as UA doesn't compete for the MCI-DFW route even if I was willing to take a very suboptimal connection. Ah well, my short 1K run on United was quite nice while it lasted.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 3:01 pm

Programs: nada these days
Originally Posted by Hmbrglar
As a 1K - this should be a vewwy vewwy good thing...wonder what I should do with my 12 CR-1s?
Give them to me!

I echo everybody else's qualified "hooray!" -- I'll make 1K this year for the first time thanks to DEQM, but I don't know how long I'll be able to hang onto it, so I hope there will still be a way for 1P and 2P to confirm upgrades in advance using instruments.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
WOW!

This is just what I wanted! ^

I might just stick with UA next year! ^ I will 100% stick with UA if they match AA's all fare classes upgrade with SWUs
But you will still get 2 less SWUs. I play both fields so I can maximize on my Upgrade Coupons. Next Year it will 6 (3 RTs) with UA and 10 (5 RTs) with AA since I will fly more than 125K with AA.

DEQM is a God send and here's hoping it continues next year.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I think this is an excellent development. I'd hazard a guess that reciprocal upgrades between CO and UA (as existed between NW and CO) are also in the works.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised at the generally negative reaction around these parts. 1Ks, in particular, should be ecstatic if they are eligible for complimentary elite upgrades on their domestic flying and still retain SWUs for their international travels.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 3:08 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I can't think of the last time I was on a two-class plane that had more F seats than 1Ks ...take that back, Hawaii flights are the one exception.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by United PR
Hello all,

We want you to be among the first to know that Mileage Plus will be introducing Unlimited Domestic Upgrades in the second quarter of 2010.

All members that have premier and higher status will enjoy unlimited domestic upgrades that will include Hawaii, which most of our competitors don’t do. You will no longer need to request an upgrade; you’ll automatically be on the list, making it much easier for you to enjoy a more comfortable flight.

With our exclusive Economy Plus seating, new unlimited amount of domestic upgrades and systemwide upgrades that typically have the fewest restrictions compared to our U.S. competitors, you now have the industry’s most comfortable seating.

Stay tuned for an e-mail from Mileage Plus tomorrow explaining the program in detail.

Happy Upgrading!

Robert Sahadevan
VP - Mileage Plus
So now what happens to the UG co pay system that is due to start in Jan , Quarter 1? Is this going to get off the ground or simply for non elites worldwide and elite internationally?

Personally I'm fired about the complimentary free upgrades. What would htey do on the three class domestic flights? Permium Service?

I'll raise my hand and jump in F if they need me to.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 3:11 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Prez
[QUOTE=hausrath;12611284]I like it because of the likelihood that, as a 1K, I'll be sitting up front more.

I guess it depends on which routes a person flies. In my last two years of being a 1K in Seattle I was almost always up front. Now that I mostly fly out of San Francisco I'm not as "special" as I was in Seattle because of so many additional 1K's in this market. I can see the WL becoming very long and chances of making it upfront reduced.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 3:13 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wilp888
So how would this tie in with the new co-pay system that is supposed to become effective January 12, 2010?
My fear is that this becomes the only way to confirm an upgrade.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by l'etoile
I can't think of the last time I was on a two-class plane that had more F seats than 1Ks ...take that back, Hawaii flights are the one exception.
Las Vegas, too. Probably most ex-Ted destinations stand a shot at it.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYC1K
But you will still get 2 less SWUs. I play both fields so I can maximize on my Upgrade Coupons. Next Year it will 6 (3 RTs) with UA and 10 (5 RTs) with AA since I will fly more than 125K with AA.

DEQM is a God send and here's hoping it continues next year.
If you fly 125k with AA this year, then you could choose the option of four extra SWUs (two sets of two, expressly allowed in the fine print) and thus receive 12 SWUs good for six round trips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.