FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   I love Jesus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/100444-i-love-jesus.html)

lqdnitin Aug 20, 2002 12:50 am

I love Jesus

Seen written along the cloth necklace badge holder (the kind provided at trade shows) of a FA recently.

Didn't bother me, but could have to others. Seems a little provocative, any policies surrounding this?

aussieinsf Aug 20, 2002 12:53 am

This brings to mind the little cards with a quote from the bible that they place on your meal tray in first class on Alaska Airlines....I was not offended but I thought this was a little forward.

couscous Aug 20, 2002 12:56 am

amen

OttoGraham Aug 20, 2002 1:22 am

I love Him too, no problem with me!

aisleorwindow Aug 20, 2002 1:32 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by aussieinsf:
This brings to mind the little cards with a quote from the bible that they place on your meal tray in first class on Alaska Airlines....I was not offended but I thought this was a little forward.</font>
I wouldn't want one of these on my tray.
I could see how some people would find these things offensive.
I wonder if they still have it on the Kosher meal?

AS Flyer Aug 20, 2002 1:43 am

It's against the law for United to suggest she stop wearing this neckband unless they prohibit all accesories that are not company issued. Never gonna happen. This is such a harmless thing, why even mention it. I think you might have way too much free time on your hands. As for AS prayer cards - employees have been telling management for years that they are inappropriate but positive passenger comments far outweigh any negatives and the company continues to place them on meal trays.

MatthewClement Aug 20, 2002 2:53 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AS Flyer:
This is such a harmless thing, why even mention it. I think you might have way too much free time on your hands.</font>
I can see a case of double-standards potentially happening here. While most passengers might be relatively indifferent to "I love Jesus", would they feel uncomfortable with an FA wearing an "Allah is the way" necklace?

I'm not suggesting that an "Allah is the way" necklace is any more or less valid than an "I love Jesus" necklace. I'm just suggesting that in the post-9/11 climate, the former is more likely to cause controversy than the latter; if you allow one, however, you must allow both.

I personally believe that while all religious beliefs should be respected, open displays of religion (beyond those garments & practices strictly required by the religion -- e.g. turbans for Sikhs) are inappropriate in any workplace.

Droneklax Aug 20, 2002 3:03 am

I think the FAs should be allowed to wear whatever they want as long as it's not part of the uniform. "I love Allah", "I love Jesus", "I love the Goddess of the Volcano", "I love Elvis", sure, whatever helps them make it through the day.

The little AS cards are a bad, repulsive case of a corporation pushing a religion down their passengers' throat. I didn't ask to be preached to when I asked for that sandwich. Bad.

ual744777sta Aug 20, 2002 4:17 am

Doesn't bother me! and I also love Him too. As for AS cards, since AS is a Prviate company, the FAA can not order those banned. I also like those AS cards especially the pictures. If you live in SO-CAL, luxury fast-food burger company In-N-Out has refrences on the bottom ring of it's cups on the end of it fries bag too. So to people out there who are botherd just simply show your opinion by not doing business with companies that bother you.

Plato90s Aug 20, 2002 5:58 am

I don't think there's any issues with FA's (or ground check-in staff, or gate agents, or pilots) wearing or displaying religious symbols or phrases.

Unless UA has some kind of internal rule which prevents it, let the staff wear what they please.

dhacker Aug 20, 2002 7:06 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Droneklax:
The little AS cards are a bad, repulsive case of a corporation pushing a religion down their passengers' throat. I didn't ask to be preached to when I asked for that sandwich. Bad.</font>
I agree 100%. This is very different from an individual wearing a cross or whatever. I don't think the government has any say in it, unless AS applies for loan guarantees or something. As for me, I'll vote with my butt and just avoid AS whenever I can.

UAPremierExec Aug 20, 2002 7:12 am

Here in Florida the "king of political correctness" has turned into a hypocrit.

There are a bunch of attornies running for judge and one of them happens to be Jewish, so in one of his latest and largest campaign brochures there is a picture of his family wearing some sort of cloth w/ hebrew and "scribes" on it I believe... there was an article about it in the Sun Sentinel.

What is so funny about this guy is he is against the use of religious icons and signs in public and even blasted a competitor a few years ago for stating in public he's Christian...

hummmmm

I'm all for people being prideful of their religion.. doesn't bother me. It just bugs me when people complain about hearing about "Jesus" or "God" or "Allah". I'm firm in my religious beliefs and it saddens me when the "lost" complain so loudly about how "God" shouldn't be mentioned anywhere in public.

About the "I Love Jesus" lanyon, an FA had a pendant made of gold and diamonds that said the same thing and I applauded her for it.

We can all spread the word of God (whichever one you worship) in a way to witness to others without rubbing it in their face. I just think that when people get offended by religious icons they have WAY too much time on their hands.

If work ever asks me to remove my CTR ring (Choose The Right) you bet my ... I'll be at an attorney's office within an hour.

dhacker Aug 20, 2002 7:18 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AS Flyer:
As for AS prayer cards - employees have been telling management for years that they are inappropriate but positive passenger comments far outweigh any negatives and the company continues to place them on meal trays.</font>
This reminds me of our kids' teachers telling us "no one ever complained about there being too MUCH homework before, most parents ask us to assign MORE". They are only listening to the PTA workaholics, while those in the silent majority suffer (and quietly do their kid's homework for them).

At AS, could they be listening only to a few vocal bible-thumpers?

dhacker Aug 20, 2002 7:25 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UAPremierExec:
We can all spread the word of God (whichever one you worship) in a way to witness to others without rubbing it in their face.</font>
AS is almost literally rubbing it my face when they serve a prayer on my tray with dinner. The only way they could get it closer to my face would be to print it on my napkin.

[This message has been edited by dhacker (edited 08-20-2002).]

LAOCA Aug 20, 2002 7:38 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UAPremierExec:
We can all spread the word of God (whichever one you worship) in a way to witness to others without rubbing it in their face. </font>
You really can't. What's “to witness to others”, is to “rub in the face” to some. What you may not find offensive, others may.

An exaggerated but obvious example to witness support of Satan is an obvious offense to a Christian. Less over stated, but timely – praise to Allah is now frightening to many Americans. Especially when flying.

My opinion: Religion is best left private. Preaching is best left to be practiced when you are invited to. HOWEVER, as an individual she has every legal right to express herself; that’s our way.

This reply in not in support or against ANY religion or racial origin, the examples were only used to make a point.