Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I love Jesus

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2002, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
JoeDoakes, I don't have a big issue with a subtle sign of faith. Recently I was on a flight with an FA wearing a cross pin on his outfit and while "resting" reading a big book that had an offending (to me) name, but he wasn't carrying it about. I have always had an office policy of "we don't discuss religion or politics with the clients" and also don't do things that are going to be likely to lead to a religious or political conversation with clients.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 10:30 pm
LLZ

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lqdnitin:
As I stated in my message, the necklace didn't bother me. Why are you trying to make my message say something else, or going on the defensive about your religion by my message in the first place.

From the responses, there is a spectrum of opinions on the FA letting their view be known.

My own opinion is that the FA uniform should be standard, and that they should not be allowed to adorn/wear anything in addition to it. I love Jesus, I love abortion, Gore in 2004, I love Cheetos, ... I don't really care.

In a service business, I do not want to know the provider's view on anything. They are free to have their view in the privacy of their own activities, but not while active in their profession. But that's just me.

BTW, the FA was male, not female. An interesting stereotype perhaps casting the rest of the discussion as well.

In honor of Homer, "mmmmm, purple". (eating a donut filled with purple goo)

[This message has been edited by lqdnitin (edited 08-21-2002).]
</font>
Well guess what. Maybe after UA FA's were had their throats slashed in 9/11 it gives him some comfort. And the majority of Americans aren't going to have a problem with it. You do though (although protesting that you don't. If you don't....why post on it?)

I have been stunned to see that UA and CO are allowing their FA's with tattoos now wear short sleeved shirts exposing such. This never would have happened back in the 70's or 80's.

So be it. It's 2001, I deal with it. I don't like it. I think it's ugly and defiling your body, but I have never posted as such, much less ever complained.

What is the big deal with this? If the guy had it tattooed on his arm would you have complained?
Old Aug 21, 2002, 10:32 pm
LLZ

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by aceflyer2:
God believes in you even if you don't believe in Him. How anyone could look at the beauty of the world and not see God is beyond me. Everyone else (e.g., Hollywood, media) has the right to speak up and say whats on their minds and so do we. Its time that we as Christians stood up proudly and expressed our views. If people don't like this about Alaska Airlines, then they don't have to fly them. But, I'll bet if they advertised this, they would probably see a significant increase in passengers who travel with them!

]Originally posted by tfong007:
Would it be okay to have a pin that says " I love SATAN"?</font>

[/QUOTE]

One of two lone voices. God Bless You (eww...will I get flamed for that?) and perhaps well see each other on a flight aceflyer2. I'll have the pin on
Old Aug 21, 2002, 10:33 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eastbay1K:
JoeDoakes, I don't have a big issue with a subtle sign of faith. Recently I was on a flight with an FA wearing a cross pin on his outfit and while "resting" reading a big book that had an offending (to me) name, but he wasn't carrying it about. I have always had an office policy of "we don't discuss religion or politics with the clients" and also don't do things that are going to be likely to lead to a religious or political conversation with clients.</font>
Sounds reasonable to me.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LLZ:

I have been stunned to see that UA and CO are allowing their FA's with tattoos now wear short sleeved shirts exposing such. This never would have happened back in the 70's or 80's.

</font>
Well, in the 70s and before, there were FAs who barely hid their panties under the shorts they wore. No tattoos, but if they were "forced" to wear that now? (C'mon, put one of those UA FAs, size 300, dressed like a reupholstered couch in an old FA outfit in a 70s FA outfit?)

Old Aug 21, 2002, 10:41 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by aceflyer2:
God believes in you even if you don't believe in Him. How anyone could look at the beauty of the world and not see God is beyond me. Everyone else (e.g., Hollywood, media) has the right to speak up and say whats on their minds and so do we. Its time that we as Christians stood up proudly and expressed our views. If people don't like this about Alaska Airlines, then they don't have to fly them. But, I'll bet if they advertised this, they would probably see a significant increase in passengers who travel with them!</font>
Fine by me when Christians, Jews, Muslims, wiccans, Zoroastrians, atheists, Moonies, time share worshipers, or whatever stand up and proudly express their views UNLESS I am a captive audience at the time. If I see a merchant proudly displaying their views, and I disagree with those views, I have a choice not to enter the store. A public common carrier is a different environment, especially when the doors are locked.

I should add to clarify my earlier post that I would not allow the "I love Jesus" deal if I were the boss; it just doesn't happen to trip my particular trigger.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 10:45 pm
LLZ

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eastbay1K:
Well, in the 70s and before, there were FAs who barely hid their panties under the shorts they wore. No tattoos, but if they were "forced" to wear that now? (C'mon, put one of those UA FAs, size 300, dressed like a reupholstered couch in an old FA outfit in a 70s FA outfit?)

</font>
I did Braniff, United, American, and Delta back in the 70's and I never saw any panties.

Legs, yes, sans tattoos. Many of them had chains with crosses across their necks too. No one ever complained about those.

What does this have to do with today and this forum?
Old Aug 21, 2002, 10:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I was always taught that the real issue is not so much how you feel about God*, as it is how God feels about you.

God* Except for the name, an a few other changes, the story's the same one.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Last summer, my mere presence on a flight turned into a religious experience for one FA:

My New Calling

Old Aug 21, 2002, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
A whole page of posts ago, RalphUA said "Have you noticed those hard-cover blue Holy Bibles in the FC magazine rack? I wonder if that offends people?
I've never seen the Torah, Qu'ran, nor the Wiccan Handbook on any of those 737s or Airbuses."

Actually, you've seen the Torah; you just didn't realize it. It's contained in every one of those Bibles; plus-or-minus translation issues, the Torah is the first five books of the Old Testament. (The word simply means "law".)
Old Aug 21, 2002, 11:44 pm
LLZ

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LarryU:
Last summer, my mere presence on a flight turned into a religious experience for one FA:

My New Calling

</font>
The link to that (50 ways) doesn't work any longer. Would repost that? It was hilarious and I would like a copy!
Old Aug 21, 2002, 11:49 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Here it is:

http://www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ft...ML/004576.html
Old Aug 22, 2002, 12:14 am
LLZ

Thanks a bunch! That is classic and terribly creative!

Up there with the (although not lyrical) Chef Ho meal report made about UA....turkey sandwich and chips, "inspired" by the same.
Old Aug 22, 2002, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
Back to the topic - who cares what an employee uses to hold their i.d. around their neck? Regardless of your personal feelings (for disclosure, I am a Christian), she is not attacking you or forcing you to listen to her. She is just wearing a rope around her neck - jeesh. If this is so offensive to some, then I guess you should stop staying at any hotel with a bible in the dresser.
Old Aug 22, 2002, 10:54 am
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
I like Punki's comment, a real "Diamond"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.