International Standby?

Old Nov 3, 2009, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold
This issue would all go away if the original upgrade cleared. Anyone have any luck getting cleared on a flight with seatcounter showing C3?
Old Nov 3, 2009, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 2K MM - Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bklink
This issue would all go away if the original upgrade cleared. Anyone have any luck getting cleared on a flight with seatcounter showing C3?
Well shucks!
If one received an upgrade, on their original flight, then their problem would definitely be solved, wouldn't it?

C3 --- C9 ain't no never-mind--- depends on your horsepower.

Last edited by TRIPLE-7; Nov 3, 2009 at 5:32 pm
Old Nov 3, 2009, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by deniah
Last spring's ORD <--> LHR 200$ MR bonanza many people reported success getting LHR to change LHR --> IAD --> ORD to LHR-ORD direct.

I tried it myself at check-in and got confirmed on the earlier direct flight with 0 hesitation
I had success getting on the LHR - SFO nonstop, from the original LHR - ORD - SFO routing on that famous fare. The LHR - SFO flight was empty. Having walked around London all night, boarded, and passed out, woke up in San Francisco.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:29 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Miracles do happen...

So I am in the middle of a *A award SIN-Europe-SIN. When I ticketed the return I was on a triple connection

I kept checking to see if the non-stop from FRA-SIN would open up, and it never did prior to my departure. Just for the heck of it I checked last night and it did. I figured I might as well ask as I have nothing to lose.

Well I walked pass the UA ticketing office at LHR T1 and the agent said no. Went to check in at the LH Check-In area at Zone K and I asked the agent who was checking me in if I could go on the non-stop and she told me to go ask the ticket counter. A couple of agents worked some magic including issuing me a paper ticket I did and after about 10 minutes I was now confirmed on FRA-SIN :O

As someone else said, "LH went around UA's back"

I know not the norm but sometimes miracles do happen!
Old Dec 13, 2009, 8:38 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
Does anyone have experience doing international standby at NRT? I might want to switch to the SFO nonstop instead of via SEA, but I'm thinking NRT GAs may be more by the book than at LHR.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
International standby, as previously stated in this thread, is not, at least by the rules, allowed in regular ops. In irrops, of course, this is different.

You might get lucky, but don't count on it. If there is weather in SEA, or if SEA flight is oversold, that is probably you're best chance. Otherwise, you're likely to have to go on your original routing.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Similar situation here - so looking for recent reports or advise.

I booked ORD-BRU as ORD-MUC-BRU to ensure my SWU would take (at time of reservation ORD-BRU was not available for immediate upgrade. C is now wide open on the direct flight and I could change for a fee. With It being so wide open I'm guessing that it won't fill up before my flight next week.

The MUC/BRU segment is on a LH puddlejumper.

My options are:

1. Change today and pay $400 (refare plus $200). Not wild about this.
2. Chat up the CS agent at ORD and try to change to direct.
3. Chat up GA for the BRU flight at ORD, or try in the RCC.

The LH puddlejumper means they'll probably make me gate check my carryon at MUC, so I was planning to check my bag at ORD and forget it. Now I'm thinking better to keep it with me at ORD in hopes of a switch to the direct flight at the gate???

Or, is none of this even worth thinking about due to low odds?
Old Mar 31, 2010, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by milepig
My options are:

The LH puddlejumper means they'll probably make me gate check my carryon at MUC, so I was planning to check my bag at ORD and forget it. Now I'm thinking better to keep it with me at ORD in hopes of a switch to the direct flight at the gate???

I would do both 2 and 3. If the nonstop is really wide open I think you'll find success somewhere along the line as a 1K. Definitely keep your bag with you.. if you have to gate check at MUC so be it.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 2:07 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
As I posted upthread somewhere, we tried 2. to change ORD-IAD-LHR to ORD-LHR but had absolutely no luck, even though the CS agent was extremely pleasant. He said only way he could do it was refare it.

We did, however, succeed with the GA part of 3., even without much of a chat up. GAs have a lot of power. That would be your best bet IME, but of course still no guarantee.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
As I posted upthread somewhere, we tried 2. to change ORD-IAD-LHR to ORD-LHR but had absolutely no luck, even though the CS agent was extremely pleasant. He said only way he could do it was refare it.
And the mystery is that CS agents at LHR will often do exactly the same thing in reverse.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 2:35 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
And the mystery is that CS agents at LHR will often do exactly the same thing in reverse.
Indeed. We did the same thing (switch LHR-IAD-ORD to LHR-ORD) at LHR with the check-in agent and he was happy to oblige. No need to talk to a GA.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
Indeed. We did the same thing (switch LHR-IAD-ORD to LHR-ORD) at LHR with the check-in agent and he was happy to oblige. No need to talk to a GA.
+1...I assume this means the loads are heavier on the LHR-IAD leg than on the non-stop (go figure), and they want the wiggle room.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lskohn
+1...I assume this means the loads are heavier on the LHR-IAD leg than on the non-stop (go figure), and they want the wiggle room.
I'm not sure the loads even matter. One time I showed up very early for my 3:30ish flight to ORD and the CS agent just said "you can still make the earlier flight, shall I move you to it?" And on another occasion the person said "Why are you flying through IAD,?? I can get you on the non-stop" again unasked. Costs UA nothing, and made me feel very special. BTW, this was when I was still 1P.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Similar situation here - so looking for recent reports or advise.

I booked ORD-BRU as ORD-MUC-BRU to ensure my SWU would take (at time of reservation ORD-BRU was not available for immediate upgrade. C is now wide open on the direct flight and I could change for a fee. With It being so wide open I'm guessing that it won't fill up before my flight next week.

The MUC/BRU segment is on a LH puddlejumper.

My options are:

Update. Plan 3 worked like a charm. This morning the weather at ORD was dicey, and there were warnings of "ATC delays" so I called, but still no dice.

Tried at the RCC and after calling a supervisor the person said I "needed to follow my original routing".

Tried again at the gate (flight was still emply with only 62 expected pax) and the GA was able to process it for me. (No checked bags.)

She had to work a bit, as she had to offload me from the LH segment first (I had already checked in this morning.) After that, she offered me my choice of almost any seat in the C cabin. Woohoo. From 777 with xfer at MUC, to a non-stop to BRU with the new cabin.

Thanks to all for the advice!
Old Jun 23, 2010, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
International Standby???

I know that the rules don't allow for Int'l standby, but curious about other's actual experiences.

I am set to fly ORD-LHR on the 6pm, which has only 2 available C seats to sell, and 1 available F seat. My best guess is that W fare won't cut it for SWU upgrade on this bird.

The 4pm flight, however, has 9 or more C seats for sale.

I will not check luggage, so could confirm a change to the 4pm NOW for approximately $200.

What do you think is likely to happen if I simply arrive at ORD early enough to catch the 4pm and ask if they'll waitlist me for Y->C??

If I don't clear to C on the 4pm, I'd just take my exit aisle on the 6pm.

Thanks!
Dave

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.