Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Food for sale in LAX and DEN RCCs ("dine menu")

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Food for sale in LAX and DEN RCCs ("dine menu")

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2009, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by exerda
Although a step in the right direction (how long have we been asking for the RCC to provide some kind of food for purchase above the slowly-improving snack options?!), I still am spoiled by the LH lounge experience at IAD and the free food offerings.
Good thing IAD is your home airport!

This is a step in the right direction. Good news for UA. I hope they don't remove any of the free stuff.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP/US CP, United 1K (1MM) , Marriott Plat, Avis Plus
You're paying for convience

To be quite honest, everything UA has rolled out in the last month has been pretty good. The sandwiches are substantial and good quality, minus the 8,000g fat packet for condiment. It's nice to be able to check emails, grab a quick bit and get a drink. Even the snack boxes are pretty tasty. Still don't know how they get all those carbohydrates in one small box, but they do. My biggest rub is the differences in the offerings of each RCC. Some have towers, some have self-serve soda dispensers, some have cheese, some have fresh vegs, some have cookies. I wish they were all the same, but food offerings is always plus, especially towards then end of the night when most of the restaurants are closed. You can always, go stand in line at McDonalds, but it's hard to get heartburn from a Turkey Sandwich. Good luck getting a drink out of the Int'n (C-7) terminal at IAD after 21.00.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS
Originally Posted by exerda
Although a step in the right direction (how long have we been asking for the RCC to provide some kind of food for purchase above the slowly-improving snack options?!), I still am spoiled by the LH lounge experience at IAD and the free food offerings.
Other airlines (AC and LH for example) have decent free food offerings and their club membership fees are not that expensive. (AC's is $425 CAD for anyone to join; not sure about LH) I relish the opportunity to use the Maple Leaf Lounges when possible as they are a much better product than what the RCCs offer. Very clean, comfortable spaces. Decent free food offerings (the last two times I was in the YVR club there was salads, soups, vegies, and savory snacks) and self-pour booze (beer, cocktails, wine).

Last edited by vt2k; Sep 29, 2009 at 3:09 pm Reason: Changed "savory snakes" to read "savory snacks" - thanks Fredd for the catch!
Old Sep 29, 2009, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by vt2k
...the last two times I was in the YVR club there was salads, soups, vegies, and savory snakes) and self-pour booze...
I agree the MLL is great and I've spent more time in YVR than any other. ^

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 29, 2009 at 7:37 pm Reason: now moot
Old Sep 29, 2009, 3:33 pm

Programs: Mlife Plat,Total Rewards Diamond, UA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz 5*, Avis Presidents C
Lightbulb

As long as the quality of the food for purchase is good and the free snacks don't slip than I am all for this.

I would much rather eat a sandwich in the RCC than in the Terminal. ^

If the quality is bad and the free snacks slip than may I suggest a new acronym instead of "Buy In Club". My acronym will be synonymous with "complain" and "whine" which is what we will all be doing. Then it could be "Buy In The Club House"
Old Sep 29, 2009, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I'm not a fan of the AA food for sale, and I don't like the RCC doing it either. It's a move in the wrong direction.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 3:58 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by zrs70
I'm not a fan of the AA food for sale, and I don't like the RCC doing it either. It's a move in the wrong direction.

Agree. I can see UA going the AA route and cutting out all the snacks in the RCC.

I highly value the free snacks in RCC when traveling on leisure. On business I don't care either way since I can expense whatever food I please.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
In theory, this is good. In practice......

In theory, any option, regardless of whether you like the option or not, is good. Options always add value. In this respect, this is a good move by UA.

In practice, however, I think this is bad. My guess is that UA will use this as a way to cut free food or totally eliminate it. That is exactly what they did with BoB. At first, it was an option. Great! Options are always good! In reality, it was the beginning of the end for free food on board domestic flights.

Prediction: if this sticks, there will be no free food in any RCC in the US within 12 months.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 4:48 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
I can see it coming...coffee and softdrinks $1.50 each, captains wafers and cheese triangles $1.00 each, banana $0.50 each....
Old Sep 29, 2009, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
I'm sure hoping that the prohibition on outside food is not relaxed.
How can it not be relaxed if the same food sold inside is sold outside?

Originally Posted by Arthurrs
I can see it coming...coffee and softdrinks $1.50 each, captains wafers and cheese triangles $1.00 each, banana $0.50 each....
In that case so long to the RCC.

Last edited by mre5765; Sep 29, 2009 at 11:17 pm
Old Sep 29, 2009, 5:49 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
This far into the thread and no one has asked a very important question: do you get bonus miles for purchasing these items? And even more bonus miles with your UA MP Visas?
Old Sep 29, 2009, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Looking forward to my 2 sandwich chits in my 1k package?
Fat chance, eh? Would be nice though
Old Sep 29, 2009, 6:16 pm

Programs: *G
what an insult

rcc is such trash
Old Sep 29, 2009, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by deniah
what an insult

rcc is such trash
I don't think UA can get away with eliminating the free snacks, especially with the $400 price tag for annual membership.

I like having the option to buy a hot sandwich in the RCC to go along with the cheese, veggies, and snack mix. I would love to see UA emulate LH when it comes to lounges, but the two airlines have different business models.

UA's new favorite word is OPTIONS. I don't mind this option.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold; Million Miler
Smile food for money

I definitely don't like the idea of 'trial mix'!.

But why on earth can't we have some decent salads and fresh fruit salad. And some crackers and good cheese?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 29, 2009 at 7:38 pm Reason: now moot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.