Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Star award ticket revoked, stranded and made to buy a new ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2011, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond

Back in November I wanted to go home for Thanksgiving. I snagged a one way ticket to SFO and then on to DXB from SYD. I checked in for the flight and then had an emergency situation and had to cancel my plans till the next day. No bags checked so not a big deal.. The station manager at SYD spoke to me in the tone that I did this on purpose, and I have done this before. My girlfriend was very ill, and I couldnät leave in this situation. What he was referring to was back in 2008, I did some LAX to SYD turn arounds, and develoved pinkeye, and had to skip a few transpacs out of LAX, I caused quite a deal at LAX as I told off an agent who jumped down my throat about the situation.. So here we are almost three years later. I try to change my flight and I am quoted a change fee although I am a 1K. So I call back later, and then the flights are not available, I pay $150 to cancel??? So I want to get to SFO for Thanksgiving ASAP. With the QF problems there are no flights, yet I find a 25,000 mile one way award to NRT, and a cheap ticket NRT to SFO. So I ticket through 1K desk SYD BKK NRT.. Paid some 80 in taxes, and went on to BKK for a night. Upon checking in at BKK, TG denied my check in citing that UA did not pay the correct taxes. At this point I called 1K desk, and talked to agents there. An agent notated on my account I should not owe a tax. I decide to give in as I need my flight. At this time I produce a credit card which they will not take.. At the moment I could not produce cash and tried seeking help from UA. The best they could do was rebook me for the next day. So they do this. I spend a night in BKK get my cash, and roll up the next day for the same flight 700 baht in hand. TG says UA canceled my ticket. I go to UA staff in BKK, they are very rude and cite that XXXX XXXX in Chicago Revoked my ticket, and I should know why she did this. They told me to call on my own dime, and left me on my own.. XXXX XXXX never picks up the phone or returns calls, and 1K says they donät know why my ticket was canceled but tell me to buy a new one, and United will reimburse me. At this point all I can do is get a Business Class ticket home, and I get in very late. Calling UA on arrival. I am told that there is no explanation of why my ticket was canceled, only that my account was being audited. I followed up on this matter several times a day with no answer. Finally I threaten a DOT complaint and the woman I talked to admitted that someone screwed up asked me mnot to file a complaint, and just to wait. I went on with the complaint, and now it has been some 45 days no word at all. I was contacted by XXXX XXXX, who confirmed the audit, and just the other day she told me that My account was closed, my miles, status and upgrades forfited. She cited that in 2008 I missed several flights, and caused United delays. She also cited that I was rude to Ms. XXXX and a Ms. XXXX. I have never spoke to these women, only left daily voicemails to call me or email me. So in conclusion theres is this trivecta of evil women at UA whom hate me. Most likely because when they stranded me halfway through an award flight home for Thanksgiving, and ruined my trip, I was a bit angry at them. so what are my courses of action. I paid about 80$ tax on the award ticket, and 25000 miles it was a star award, and United canceled it citing that I missed my flight and could not change it. They said I no showed. I did show up, documented this with a note on my PNR, and interaction with United Staff. They did not tack on the Thailand Transit-stopover tax on my ticket. This is not my fault. I learned that when you stop in Bangkok and leave the terminal you are taxed 700 baht. United gave me a 16 or so hour lay over.. Of course I will seek accomadations in the city. As for paying the tax United kept me holding for a long time, and told me that I didnt have to pay it, and in the end caused me to miss the flight. I am hoping I outlined everything here. What kind of damages can I seek for canceling a ticket like this. They closed my account to try and get rid of me. Just a side note I did give them hell, and I am working on a lawsuit in regards to promising me a 1800$ TC, and they ended up refunding cash 1800 to a crooked Kuwaiti TA on a nonrefundable ticket.. I raised hell on this all year, and switched my flying to EK and SQ, sending them reciepts of J and F fares that they lost for this mistake that they never fixed.. The trio of witches may be pissed about this..

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 10, 2011 at 5:45 am Reason: per policy
Old Jan 10, 2011, 2:27 am

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
There is this great invention called a paragraph. If you edit your post and use it, I might be able to actually read what you wrote. As it is, I gave up, too hard to focus for my old eyes...
Old Jan 10, 2011, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Ditto.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Well, I read it.

I wouldn't have bought the C tickets unless you had written confirmation from UA that they would pay you back.

There has to be more to the story! UA wouldn't close an account just because you missed a few flights. How rude were you to the agent in 2008?
Old Jan 10, 2011, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
You seem to have rather bad luck, what with being banned from Starwood and having UA audit and close your account now.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Ill edit tonight. Need to use a keyboard. As for 2008. I did several sfo hnl lax syd and back runs.. and needed a few times to change flights and overnight in lax. (I had a nasty documented illness) The agents in HNL on checkin would not shortcheck me to LAX, which caused a hassle when I would arrive in LA. On a few occasions I would have to go to an agent and be offloaded. One occasion the flight from HNL was late, and the SYD flight almost took a delay as my bag was offloaded. (Mind you I asked for a shortcheck in HNL)
On my final flight, an agent printed me a BP for the next day, and a woman stormed up to me asked for it tore it up, and made me call rez and pay some $400 change fee. She berated me pretty badly, so of course I was harsh in my complaint about her. Nonetheless no swearing, or threats
This just seemed to leave a nasty stink on my MP account. Everytime I fly I get notes on my PNR from one of the women, stating that I cannot make any changes etc (When on restricted tickets) As for written authorization from UA, they have still yet to respond about the revoked ticket.. I would still be in BKK waiting for a reply. Just I do not get how they can close my account based on a two week period in 2008. I usually cleared up to 250,000 miles a year!

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You seem to have rather bad luck, what with being banned from Starwood and having UA audit and close your account now.

You have nooooooo idea.. not a good start for Jan 2011... Maybe in FEB I should play the lottery!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 10, 2011 at 5:40 am Reason: merge
Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:54 am

Programs: UA 1K
Wall-O-Text FTL!

I did read it though, even though I must now find some Ibuprofin. All I can say is you must have caused some kind of scene to lose your miles and membership. You said you left voice mails numerous time for these agents? My guess, your voice mails were not exactly friendly and were then used as proof that you are perhaps an irate whack job. I could be wrong though and I wish you the best of luck. Maybe take this as a lesson learned to hold your temper back when dealing with people, even if they are in the wrong.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:28 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
OP:

It looks like UA is not a good vendor for you.

It also looks like you are not a good customer for UA.

The two just don't or can't work together any longer.

I honestly think that the OP and UA should permanantly part ways.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bennijiggs
Wall-O-Text FTL!

I did read it though, even though I must now find some Ibuprofin. All I can say is you must have caused some kind of scene to lose your miles and membership. You said you left voice mails numerous time for these agents? My guess, your voice mails were not exactly friendly and were then used as proof that you are perhaps an irate whack job. I could be wrong though and I wish you the best of luck. Maybe take this as a lesson learned to hold your temper back when dealing with people, even if they are in the wrong.
LOL.. Not much a scene really... Just demanding an answer.. Just think you purchase a ticket to come home for the holidays.. Half way through your trip 8,000 miles from home, the airline which issued your ticket cancels it... Gives you no reason.. Tells you to spend thousands of dollars on a new ticket. Weeks and weeks go by and nobody tells you what happened, nor refunds anything.. My relationship with UA may be crap.. But nonetheless a ticket is a contract. I was not transported from point A to Z.. . More like A to M...
Old Jan 10, 2011, 8:21 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
The OP seems to always want to change a non-changeable ticket. That is the reason that UA isn't pleased. Well, on top of the abuse that is hurled at them for not wanting to change a non-changeable ticket.

People fly w/ pink eye all the time....just don't touch it.

Aloha
Old Jan 10, 2011, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I'm sure that if you've been documented as being a troublemaker, they don't find that they need to give you the same customer service level. I know there are people that I won't sell to, since they often complain so often, that it's better to concentrate on the good customers.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 8:56 am

Sounds as if you repeatedly tried to break fare rules on a ticket -- missed segments, hidden-city ticketing, etc. Sounds like after multiple events UA decided to audit you and fire you.

Also, I don't believe UA told you to buy an airline ticket. They are a freakin' airline, they can issue you a ticket for any airline (in any class of service) at a much better pricing then you could find. I find this especially true if on a saver-award. If you read the T&Cs on tickets, if they find/believe that you committed fraud or some other shady dealings, the reserve the right to cancel your ticket (at any point in time) and strand you.

In either case, there is still more to this story.

You may want to update your profile, I don't think you are a "UA 1K MM" but rather UA banned as well.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:47 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by denverhockeyguy
Sounds as if you repeatedly tried to break fare rules on a ticket -- missed segments, hidden-city ticketing, etc. Sounds like after multiple events UA decided to audit you and fire you.
Exactly. An airline gets to choose its customers, just like any other company.

I'd suggest that the OP invest in travel insurance from now on. When you buy non-refundable/non-changeable tickets, you assume the risk that if some medical or other emergency forces you to change plans, you'll have to pay lots of money for a new ticket. If you don't like that risk, mitigate it with insurance.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 1:02 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Originally Posted by ryan754
. She also cited that I was rude to Ms. XXXX and a Ms. XXXX. I have never spoke to these women, only left daily voicemails to call me or email me. So in conclusion theres is this trivecta of evil women at UA whom hate me. Most likely because when they stranded me halfway through an award flight home for Thanksgiving, and ruined my trip, I was a bit angry at them..
Quite difficult to understand how this could possibly be.

I believe you mean, "triumvirate".
Old Jan 10, 2011, 1:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ryan754
...Mind you I asked for a shortcheck in HNL....
UA does not do shortchecks and requesting this will raise hidden city concerns

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.