Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
deleted
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 21, 2011, 6:35 am
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

[Here are the n]ew lifetime benefits [and] we think you’ll agree this is the most generous lifetime program in the world. The following will take effect next spring (so please hold tight until then):
  • Continental and United lifetime earnings will be combined. You all guessed that much, but the key will be how we do it. Continental’s lifetime earnings have been EQM-based, and United’s have been based on actual flight miles. Starting in 2012, the program will be based on actual flight miles, however, we will make a one-time adjustment on the United side to boost everyone’s lifetime earnings to EQMs dating back to the beginning of the program
  • Lifetime premier benefits for 1 million miles = Premier Gold, 2 million = Premier Platinum, 3 million = Premier 1K, 4 million = Global Services
  • Million milers will be able to designate a spouse or significant other to always have the same premier tier as them (this includes when the million miler member earns a higher tier). The spousal premier benefits will be identical as the member, except they will not include RPUs and GPUs. This spousal benefit will replace the one-time and annual upgrade gifts, and hopefully you’ll agree this is a better deal
  • Continental’s Infinite Elite members (the limited few of you that earned this back in the early 90’s) will be grandfathered in and given lifetime Premier 1K status, but without the GPUs. We hope you’ll agree this is a generous resolution

Thanks as always for your feedback, and we look forward to answering your questions.

Scott O’Leary
Managing Director, Customer Solutions
United Airlines
ContinentalFan likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 21, 2011 at 7:14 am
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
New Million Miler Elite Benefits.

My question is re this section -

Lifetime premier benefits for 1 million miles = Premier Gold, 2 million = Premier Platinum, 3 million = Premier 1K, 4 million = Global Services

I am a UA Million Miler now = "Star Gold for life."

Is that the same as "Premier Gold"??? (Whatever that will be) i.e. is it Star Gold?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 21, 2011 at 7:25 am
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:21 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Understanding that this has been a topic of frequent interest and speculation in the past and anticipating additional discussion now that the terms of the future program have been announced (see above), I have created this new thread.

Thank you,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United Mileage Plus Forum
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:23 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Is that the same as "Premier Gold"??? (Whatever that will be) i.e. is it Star Gold?
As I read it, yes.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So seeing there is a 1K and a GS, what is "Premier Platinum"?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:37 am

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
I am a UA Million Miler now = "Star Gold for life."
It will all come down to how they map these new levels to *A.

If *S = Premier Silver + Premier Gold, then no. But it would seem odd to have a UA-labeled level be "Gold" when it doesn't map to that level at *A.

As a 2MM flyer, I actually see this as an upgrade on the UA side -- I'm now mapping to a higher level (United Premier Platinum) for life -- the 75k level vs. the 50k level (Premier Executive). It should be status quo on the *A side -- *G for life.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So seeing there is a 1K and a GS, what is "Premier Platinum"?
The 75K EQM/90 EQP level.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1K-SFO

If *S = Premier Silver + Premier Gold, then no. But it would seem odd to have a UA-labeled level be "Gold" when it doesn't map to that level at *A.
Well I am assuming there are grandfathering in all pre-existing MM to Star Gold for Life, as we were told was for life when earned.

However explaining that to some SQ matron in Changi will be fun.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by UA Insider
This spousal benefit will replace the one-time and annual upgrade gifts, and hopefully you’ll agree this is a better deal
For most people, it will probably be better. But those of us whose spouse also attains the lifetime status on their own merit get hit.

Originally Posted by 1K-SFO
It's all spelled out on the web site. Premier Gold and higher are all *G.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I also don't like the Million Miler change.

Having just crossed 1MM, I was looking forward to RCC access at 2MM. I could care less about nominating a spouse/significant other. Maybe everybody gets married in Texas, but in the larger U.S. cities people date, break-up, or get divorced.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
This works for me. I am very close to MM on UA and with the recalibration will blow right past - just as long as they find all those LH flights.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
For most people, it will probably be better. But those of us whose spouse also attains the lifetime status on their own merit get hit.
I wonder - if my spouse is a MM (but never gets higher than Gold), and I as a sub-MM (for another 5 years or so) stay 1K, can she match up to my status level (on an ongoing annual basis, as long as I stay 1K)?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Apologies if this isn't the right forum for it, but have airlines generally been good about grandfathering MM stati in the past? I'm thinking of getting my kids started on flyer programs (esp. UA), but I don't know if in 10 years the trend will have depreciated the value of MM, or if they'll say eventually that it takes 2MM to be a *G now, or whatever.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That is not true. If one of you earns a level higher than the lifetime level you can nw designate the other one to have the same status.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:08 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
This is the best news I could have hoped for, assuming *G stays at the Premier Gold level. In one day, I move from ~50% of the way there to well over 70% of the way there! This is fair and equitable for all sides, and I congratulate UA for making that change!

Now the waiting game to watch if my EQM that I've tracked over the years will match up with the EQM that UA provides... hoping there will be some sort of accounting of that somewhere.

Also, I suppose this does away with the concept of BIS... unless there's some sort of BIS requirements around the new program - though it doesn't seem like there are.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.