Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

25 July, 2011 - United SWUs now available for use on Continental Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2011, 1:38 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Hi Everyone, as has been mentioned, earlier today we soft-launched the ability for customers who Systemwide Upgrades the ability to use for travel on both United and Continental-operated flights. The option to redeem these upgrades between carriers is only available by contacting us over the phone. Here are some helpful tips:
  • If you want to use your Systemwide Upgrade to travel on:
  • United – Please contact United Reservations
  • Continental – Please contact Continental Reservations
  • Both carriers – You may contact either United or Continental Reservations
Worth noting: As always, if you’ll be using your upgrade to travel on the same airline whose frequent flier program issued the upgrade, you can usually do this directly on the carrier’s website.
  • During our soft-launch, hours will be limited. Currently you can contact us over the phone to redeem your Systemwide Upgrade between carriers from 10:00am to 6:30pm. In early August, we’ll expand this to have 24 hour coverage.

• Regional Upgrades are coming soon. We’re not quite yet ready to handle Regional Upgrades between carriers, but, you can bet that this will be a fast follower. Update: As of August 8, 2011, Regional Upgrades may now be redeemed between carriers too.
Thanks for your patience and feedback as we work through the next week or so of our soft-launch phase.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights and Metrics
United Airlines

Last edited by UA Insider; Aug 20, 2011 at 10:27 pm Reason: Moving "official" post to top of thread, updated Regional Upgrade info
Old Jul 25, 2011, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA GS,Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat

All,

I just called up continental and upgraded myself on a CO metal flight using United SWU

The agent had to call a UA office, transfer the UA SWU to CO system, and apply it on my upgrade.

Took 20 min, easy peasy, and I am now upgraded.... Agent said i'm the first ever to do it (maybe just for them).

Per Agent, new Process should go Live 8/1, but can be done from today.

SOOOOO HAPPPY!!!

If this is old news, sorry

RotemBen
Old Jul 25, 2011, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA .75K, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Is this working on any fare, or just higher (W or better) fares?

This is good news
Old Jul 25, 2011, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
CR1s? When can we use CR1s on CO ticketed flights?
Old Jul 25, 2011, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Nice! Thanks for posting!
Old Jul 25, 2011, 5:38 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
I'm sure many people are happy of this! ^ Only wish I had SWUs
Old Jul 25, 2011, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Considering most CO fliers havent gotten thier 2011 SWU's yet (other than the few on the preview site) I hope that they dont publicize this ability for UA prior to CO fliers getting thiers for CO metal.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Just called the 1K Desk, and the agent said W and higher, and it has to be a true CO flight, not a UA codeshare.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
any news about whether this is limited to SWUs? I assume that if the systems are synced up now, it should also apply for CR-1s?
Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sfoactuary
any news about whether this is limited to SWUs? I assume that if the systems are synced up now, it should also apply for CR-1s?
From what the OP said, it doesn't sound like this is sync'd systems yet. It sounds like UA and CO talk to each other over the phone and manually increase and decrease the SWU counts.

Not very efficient as a stop-gap, but still - progress.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:17 pm

What about using 2010 CO SWUs on UA flights?
Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
I just spoke with a very helpful 1K agent who actually read me the "Soft Launch" announcement for Cross Carrier SWU. The soft launch (and notice to the agents) started today.

I could transfer a 2011 CO SWU to UA over the phone.

It is currently only for SWU - the announcement did not mention regional upgrades.

Unfortunately I could only waitlist for a flight 3 months out (it was to Hawaii, and CR1 eligable, but I couldn't transfer those). 1st was 1/4 full (6 of 24) but not made available.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
The agents are just learning about this. I just reached a 1K agent who just started his shift, and read the memo for the first time while I was on the phone.

Unfortunately, for the next few days, the "integration team" is only operating between 8:30 am and 5 or 5:30 pm Central Time.

So, I'll call tomorrow morning and try to get my SWU's applied.

Last edited by clublounger; Jul 25, 2011 at 7:22 pm Reason: added Central Time
Old Jul 25, 2011, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Great news! Now I hope they start the CR-1 match ....
Old Jul 25, 2011, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA GS,Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Lol

This is what i call true customer service.

The CO Agent remembered I asked the question 2 weeks ago, and emailed me this morning to remind me it's now official.

If i ever needed a reason to keep my loyalty, a service like this is exactly the reason.

I seem to remember there is someone on these forum that work for CO and can help with getting positive feedback to the right place. Am i recalling correctly?

thanks!

RotemBen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.