Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Unconfirmed] UA Preparing to Sell E+ at Booking as Separate Cabin (like DL C+)

[Unconfirmed] UA Preparing to Sell E+ at Booking as Separate Cabin (like DL C+)

Old Nov 10, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by narvik
It hasn't happened........................................y. e.t.
Writing is on the wall.

I'm glad this is happening right now, and not when I'm sitting with 1.9MM miles about to cross into LT Platinum. If this takes place, and the upgrade policy from Y to F becomes upgrade into E+, and instruments become a requirement.... you know that upgrades will also be impacted.... and it will be hard to ever get out of an economy class seat without paying a significant cost, especially on int'l.

Will wait to see details on the rules and pricing for these new seats, but I have a good hunch that it is not going to be good for the perks we have taken granted for some time.
narvik likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 12:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Writing is on the wall.
I've [temporarily] ditched UA, and it's eyeopening, to say the least.
Not sure I can sustain the low business class fares I have been scoring with other carriers (hence the "temporary part"), but it's been fantastic so far! ^^^
jjmoore likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 1:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Nor am I. Our miserly travel people don't permit separate "seat upgrade" charges on either DL or UA.
My employer is the same way, and the prospect of having to sit in E- on trans-con is really upsetting. Trans-con is 80% of my travel pattern. Long haul int'l is the rest.

Read through more comments, and all I can say is that I hope Gold and higher can still choose free seats after booking. I'm not counting on that though.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Kacee
I've been doing some no status flying on AA and it's been surprisingly okay.
Same here.
Tomorrow, I'll be taking my 5th flight on AA in paid F this year, and I find their food better than UA's, their service about the same, and seat comfort about the same.

I am not taking these flights out of spite because of the changes, I am taking these flights because they were either cheaper, with roughly the same transit time as UA or, they were direct flights with shorter transit times, but marginally more expensive than UA. In other words, I am taking the best options to get to my destination, without consideration of carrier. I wouldn't be doing this if I hadn't already made 1K months ago.

I've also flown on DL twice this year (once in Y) and find their service, seat comfort, and food better than UA's-but my sample size is very small on DL, so I am not willing to assert that, across the board, DL is better yet.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Tomorrow, I'll be taking my 5th flight on AA in paid F this year
If you're paying for F, status is generally meaningless on any airline.
droopydog likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik
It hasn't happened........................................y. e.t.
It hasn't happened at all, and there's a good chance that it will not.

There's a possibility that it might. But UA still has much larger E+ cabins than DL C+, and that remains extremely relevant. DL had a greater need to restrict C+, because they were losing HVF Y business.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If you're paying for F, status is generally meaningless on any airline.
After flying on other domestic carriers this year (for the first time in at least 5 years), I wholeheartedly agree with you. But, I didn't plan for it to be this way. I really wanted to stay with UA, but my RPU success rate this year dropped to 5% or less, so I resolved to just buy F, if it's reasonable. I would've preferred to stay with UA with this move, but, lately, they are rarely the cheapest.

For example, on two of my AA flights this year, which were last-minute bookings, UA Y was more expensive than AA F! As a previously loyal UA flyer, I found that shocking, and it really opened my eyes to seeking the cheapest fares, regardless of carrier.

I still value E+ on the shorter flights and will use UA for those but I did find DL's Y seat more comfortable than UA's.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by jjmoore
I'm glad this is happening right now, and not when I'm sitting with 1.9MM miles about to cross into LT Platinum. If this takes place, and the upgrade policy from Y to F becomes upgrade into E+, and instruments become a requirement.... you know that upgrades will also be impacted.... and it will be hard to ever get out of an economy class seat without paying a significant cost, especially on int'l.
This seems a bit alarmist to me. I'd almost bet UA doesn't touch F upgrades. Why? Because it's the biggest selling point of an elite program. The prospect of a free upgrade to first class. Also, they have become so good at selling the seats and (apparently) the elite ranks are still so swollen that it's not hurting their frequent flyer base to the point they have to change the pricing dynamic of FC. In addition, with the rollout of PlusPoints on Dec 4, more people will be burning points to sit up front which could have a negative impact on the few CPUs we were getting anyway.

So, no, I doubt UA makes any detrimental changes to the upgrade program. If anything, I can see them adding LAX/SFO-EWR (and the few to BOS) to the CPU mix. Why? Because CPU on that route will be 0.000001% chance given all the instruments that are waitlisted and never clear. On the off chance an elite flies on a Saturday red-eye, they may get lucky. This is exactly why DL changed their program and allows free upgrades on these routes now.

-RM
jjmoore likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
This seems a bit alarmist to me. I'd almost bet UA doesn't touch F upgrades. Why? Because it's the biggest selling point of an elite program. The prospect of a free upgrade to first class.
Almost no airlines outside of the US majors have free upgrades to F. And, I can't think of another airline outside of the US that even has a sub-cabin with more legroom that gives those seats to elites while selling them to everyone else. In that sense, UA would just be more closely aligning with the rest of the industry but, they need to get their soft product up to par with the rest of the industry as they do so.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by STS-134
Almost no airlines outside of the US majors have free upgrades to F. And, I can't think of another airline outside of the US that even has a sub-cabin with more legroom that gives those seats to elites while selling them to everyone else. In that sense, UA would just be more closely aligning with the rest of the industry but, they need to get their soft product up to par with the rest of the industry as they do so.
For some planes, the hard product needs to get up to speed as well, such as seat back entertainment, USB ports, and outlets that work. However, their newer planes are quite good!
Old Nov 11, 2019, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by STS-134
I'm not comparing United to international carriers. I'm comparing them to any airline (mostly DL and AA) who give elites free upgrades to F. I thought that would be pretty clear in my post? I guess my use of the word "an" instead of "their" threw things off?!

United doesn't follow the industry. They follow DL and most threads on this board will talk about that. You don't often (very rarely) see a thread of UA being compared to EK, SQ, etc. unless it's to point out how wide the gap is between the products and what the "home" flyers are willing to tolerate.

Thanks,
-RM
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
This change should not come as a surprise. Now that UA is installing a premium economy cabin on their longhaul fleet, they need to offer those travelers a Y+ seat on the domestic segment. It is more of an incentive to purchase a PE ticket PHX-IAD-BCN, for example, if the PHX-IAD segment is in Y+ verus Y-. Now, UA could change their poilcy to just allow "Y" and "B" fares access to the Y+ cabin at the time of booking (as "B" is the booking code a PE ticket uses for the coach segment). And IIRC, that is how it was when UA first introduced Y+. But doing it this way allows UA to generate more revenue by selling a Y+ fare outright using different fare basis codes, and for a lot less than a normal Y or B fare.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Now, UA could change their poilcy to just allow "Y" and "B" fares access to the Y+ cabin at the time of booking (as "B" is the booking code a PE ticket uses for the coach segment). And IIRC, that is how it was when UA first introduced Y+.
And it is still that way.

Originally Posted by Fanjet
But doing it this way allows UA to generate more revenue by selling a Y+ fare outright using different fare basis codes, and for a lot less than a normal Y or B fare.
It shouldn't really be thought of as a B fare in the normal sense of full-fare. It's definitely not that. I suspect B was used because it has near-last-seat availability. It's possible that the people who designed it never considered the instant upgrade aspect of B fares -- or figured that most Premiers weren't going to be shopping for an E+-included fare anyway.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold

I found this. It sure looks like they are selling economy plus as a separate fare. Lots of potential implications here.
droopydog and narvik like this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by IMissThe747

I found this. It sure looks like they are selling economy plus as a separate fare. Lots of potential implications here.
Anyone happen to recall the standard E- to E+ buyup for SFO-EWR? More or less than the $179 difference in this chart?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.