Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Transfer miles from Chase or Marriott to UA
Beware for Chase this is an one-way transfer and for Marriott the return would lose points
This can take a few hours to a few days
Mile/Points transfers between UA & Marriott via RewardPlus - Questions/Experiences

Purchase Miles from UA
Currently, at 3.75 cents per mile, an expensive program but often has significant sales where miles are 2 to 2.5 cents per mile
This can take a few days

Award Accelerator
This is a more complex process but generally runs 2 to 2.5 cents per mile but hard to buy a specific amount
Miles post in a few hours at the most
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions

Transfer miles from another UA account
This costs 1.5 cents per mile (plus $30 fee)
Miles will post within 1 day
Generally considered a bad deal, as you can purchase the miles at about 2 cpm and not lose the miles in the other account
Short miles for award, What about transferring from another account? Alternatives?

Miles from Purchases (for small amounts)
Either via MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles
or MileagePlus Shopping
Posting time is variable

Credit Card signup bonuses
Cheapest approach but requires getting card approval and likely some card usage

An alternative is Book with Money and Miles -- What is the "Book with Money and Miles" option ?

Additional ways to earn miles
Also the slowest, as this will take months

e-Rewards® Opinion Panel

Print Wikipost

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K SPG Plat HHonors Diamond
take a flight...if you are elite that's 1 flight pretty much... or buy em...usually bad cpm
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
If you have UA Visa (issued by Chase), and have large credit card bills, you can rack up 10k fairly fast. And you would get up to 5k EQM status if you buy UA tickets on ual.com or with UA agent.

Amex MR can't xfr to UA, but you can xfr to CO, and then you can combine UA-CO together by Dec.2011 into single UA balance.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
SPG transfers at 2:1 to UA and CO. If you are looking to book *A flights, transferring to US or AC would be much better (those get transfers from SPG at 1:1).
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by npei
If you have UA Visa (issued by Chase), and have large credit card bills, you can rack up 10k fairly fast. And you would get up to 5k EQM status if you buy UA tickets on ual.com or with UA agent.

Amex MR can't xfr to UA, but you can xfr to CO, and then you can combine UA-CO together by Dec.2011 into single UA balance.
May I ask what is "xfr"?
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Originally Posted by applenew
May I ask what is "xfr"?
xfr is often used short-hand for transfer. But I can understand if newbie thinks this is FT-specific lingo.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Fly West Coast to LHR or FRA. It'll take you 22 hours and earn you over 10,000 miles, whether BIS, EQM or RDM. Of course if you are 1P or above, you only have to go one way and it'll only take 11 hours.

If you fly LAX-LHR-SFO, you can even take the same plane back and your time on the ground will only add 2 hours to it. Enjoy.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 7:11 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
more in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-threads.html
Old Mar 13, 2011, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
Two easy ways!

Two of the easiest ways to top off your account is purchasing miles or getting a UA credit card.
Old May 21, 2011, 4:59 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Most effective way to get 8000 miles?

Hi all,

I need to pick up about 8,000 MP miles so my wife and I can get to Paris sometime in the future. I've already done the credit card bonuses (got the first 100,000 miles that way) from both CO and UA, and will have about 12,000 in AmEx MR points to transfer over.

So, for the 8k left... I can just outright buy them, but that would be $300. United has some new partner called "Rockland Identity Theft Solutions" that s advertising 5500 miles for new subscribers. That would cost me $75. I have absolutely no use for the product, but think 5500 miles is worth $75. Am I wrong? Are there more cost effective ways to essentially buy this many miles?
Old May 21, 2011, 5:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
"Most effective way" is in the eye of the beholder

long discussion of options in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-threads.html
Old May 21, 2011, 8:45 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
"Most effective way" is in the eye of the beholder

long discussion of options in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-threads.html
I don't need them quickly
Old May 21, 2011, 10:33 pm

Programs: Formerly UA, now whoever has the best routing or C/F price
WineCountryUA referred you to an excellent thread discussing this issue, and makes a great point with regard to inexpensiveness/value being in the eye of the beholder. But IME here are a few of the easier and fairly painless methods:

1) Are you guys foodies? MP Dining is a good option. It can be inexpensive too, because a lot of the restaurants on there also work with restaurant.com so you can get $25 GCs for around $2-$3, and then earn miles for the difference and tip.

2) Are you guys winos? American Cellars Wine Club is still offering 2500 miles to UA elites (2000 to GMs) for subscribing to their service. I've heard the wines are pretty decent and reasonably priced and am considering doing this myself. My biggest concern is the climate in which I live not being conducive to shipping of wine (100+ degrees in summer), otherwise I would have already taken advantage of this offer.

3) Like movies? 1500 miles for joining Netflix, another 1500 if you join using your MP Visa.

4) Depending on your tastes and needs, UA has partnered with many other companies. Refer to this site to see many more.

Last edited by traumamed; May 21, 2011 at 10:35 pm Reason: typo
Old May 21, 2011, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, PC Platinum
and you have the MP shopping toolbar that gives you up to 100 miles every month... it adds up.
Old May 21, 2011, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I would say that anything that results in you getting 8000 miles was an EFFECTIVE way to get 8000 miles.....

now if you care about the most EFFICIENT or QUICKEST way to get 8000 miles, perhaps that's a different question!
Old May 21, 2011, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
go with e-rewards and transfer into your OP account then into your MP account

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.