Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Transfer miles from Chase or Marriott to UA
Beware for Chase this is an one-way transfer and for Marriott the return would lose points
This can take a few hours to a few days
Mile/Points transfers between UA & Marriott via RewardPlus - Questions/Experiences

Purchase Miles from UA
Currently, at 3.75 cents per mile, an expensive program but often has significant sales where miles are 2 to 2.5 cents per mile
This can take a few days

Award Accelerator
This is a more complex process but generally runs 2 to 2.5 cents per mile but hard to buy a specific amount
Miles post in a few hours at the most
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions

Transfer miles from another UA account
This costs 1.5 cents per mile (plus $30 fee)
Miles will post within 1 day
Generally considered a bad deal, as you can purchase the miles at about 2 cpm and not lose the miles in the other account
Short miles for award, What about transferring from another account? Alternatives?

Miles from Purchases (for small amounts)
Either via MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles
or MileagePlus Shopping
Posting time is variable

Credit Card signup bonuses
Cheapest approach but requires getting card approval and likely some card usage

An alternative is Book with Money and Miles -- What is the "Book with Money and Miles" option ?

Additional ways to earn miles
Also the slowest, as this will take months

e-Rewards® Opinion Panel

Print Wikipost

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:28 pm

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
Originally Posted by arfgoblue
Hey all!

I find myself needing to book a flight to China using my United miles to avoid the "rapid redemption fee" on almost every other carrier.

I have 61k miles in the account and need an extra 4k for the award...any ideas short of paying United's extortion (about $170) for the difference? I have Amex MR, but that doesn't transfer to United.

Thanks!
(1) If you are 1K, stay at Hyatt for 2K bonus. (2) Go on mileage run. 4K is such a modest goal vis a vis some crazy folks here (myself included).
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:30 pm

Programs: big pimpin'
Originally Posted by Cheerfulflyer
(1) If you are 1K, stay at Hyatt for 2K bonus. (2) Go on mileage run. 4K is such a modest goal vis a vis some crazy folks here (myself included).
1) not 1k.
2) not enough time (before award travel departure) to go on MR and have the miles post.

4k really is nothing...but I doubt United would let me go into the negative
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
If you have a friend with some orphan miles,
transfer 5K for $110.

OK, not much better than buying 4K for $164.
But $50 is $50.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 1:08 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Emirates Gold
Do you have a MP Visa? You can sign up for Netflix and earn 3k miles.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 3:54 pm

No, and not that quick (takes a week or two)

I need the 4 k in less than 4 days.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Short of buying/transferring miles, taking a flight, or complaining about something and getting lucky with compensation of 4k+ miles, I can't think of a way to get miles that quickly.

Also, go blue!
Old Apr 30, 2010, 4:23 pm

How long does a "buy miles" tranaction take to post?

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Also, go blue!
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:34 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum, Starwood-Gold
How to get 5,000 miles to post within 2 weeks

I have the credit card and am 5,000 miles short of an award ticket. Does anyone have any ideas to earn 5,000 miles other than charging $5,000 on the card? United wants to charge $200+ for the miles and I'd like to avoid that charge. Thanks!
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by centralpark
Does anyone have any ideas to earn 5,000 miles other than charging $5,000 on the card?
Flying is a good way to earn miles. One transcon will do it.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by centralpark
Does anyone have any ideas to earn 5,000 miles other than charging $5,000 on the card? United wants to charge $200+ for the miles and I'd like to avoid that charge. Thanks!
Just a thought, maybe someone else has experience with this. if you have a UA card that does triple miles for UA.COM purchases, you could charge a $1700 refundable ticket, and you'd get 5000 miles on the next billing statement date. However, when you refund the ticket, your MP account might go negative, and I do not know the ramifications of this. Opinions?
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:39 am

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Originally Posted by arfgoblue
How long does a "buy miles" tranaction take to post?

Does anyone have recent experience with buying miles? The website states up to 48 hours for miles to post, but several previous posters indicated that miles post almost instantly. Thanks!
Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:20 am

Need 4K miles for Saver Award - suggestions

My wife is trying to get to Hawaii and there is a Saver Award of 20K miles + $240. I am short 4K miles. I could purchase for $165 but was wondering if anyone has suggestions for a cheaper way to get these miles or maybe even get me to 40K for a full award for the flight.

The United Visa offer is 50K but says it will take 6 to 8 weeks to post.

Any help would be appreciated
Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, dougb!

It's hard to get that many miles quickly without flying or using the purchase option. You could check to see if the Netflix signup bonus is still around, but I don't know how long that takes to post. You should consider just paying for the ticket and save your miles for a future trip (you'll still get the benefits, they will just come later rather than sooner).
Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:38 am

Thanks for the welcome. I have been a long time lurker.

Thanks for the advice. It looks like the cheapest and immediate option is to pay for the miles.

She is not interested in paying $800 for the flight.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 6:16 am

Programs: Cutting down :-(
Success with Award Accelerator

I was short 75 miles for an award and successfully used the award accelerator to buy 200 miles for $7.

Yesterday I purchased a fully refundable ticket between two cities roughly 200 miles apart. At the time of purchase I also got the award accelerator for $7. This morning the accelerated miles was posted and I requested a refund for the ticket. It was all done online with little effort from my side.

It is good to know that Award Accelerator is good for something.

Last edited by cvarming; Jan 7, 2011 at 11:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.