S 1100 - 19:00
Print Wikipost

Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit

Old May 2, 2009, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k 3mm, HH-LifeDiamond, Mar-LifePlatElite
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit

Hello all.

Due to typical US Airways operations (not the subject of this thread), I was stranded in Detroit today for 4 hours. I thought, as per the rules of access on Lufthansa's page for lounge Access, that as a 1k (Star Gold), and having a flight on US -Scareways, that I should be able to access the Lufthansa Lounge.

When I went to the counter, however, I was denied access. The reason I was told, was that I had to be traveling internationally on a Star Alliance Carrier or Lufthansa.

I went back and re-read the rules, and as per the link:

http://tiny.cc/zaj52

I should be able to access the lounge with any Star Alliance boarding pass, not just international.

I have been known to misread pages, and the rules are somewhat clear, but I suppose there is room for anyone's take on what it really means...

I have read the thread about all the people giving the IAD lounge a try, but nothing in here about the lounge in DTW.

Am I reading this wrong, or was the desk attendant incorrect, and I should have been allowed in?

Mostly asking for future reference. Thanks in advance.
Old May 2, 2009, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
i just learned about this like an hour and a half ago, but after doing a little bit of research, it seems like the da was wrong. i may be missing something though, but this webpage gives some information.

https://www.lufthansa.com/online/por...en&cid=1000390

at the bottom it says star alliance gold card holders
Old May 2, 2009, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
LH leaves from the NW terminal, right? So when flying UA in the new Smith terminal, it's pretty hard to get to the lounge. Or am I mistaken? Otherwise, this would be a nice perk.
Old May 2, 2009, 2:19 pm

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
LH switched to the new terminal when it was completed with all other non-sky team members.
Old May 2, 2009, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
You should have been able to get into the lounge. This is what people have been doing at IAD recently since they opened the LH lounge there. Also there have been successful reports of people getting into the SQ lounge at SFO on domestic tickets.
Old May 2, 2009, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k 3mm, HH-LifeDiamond, Mar-LifePlatElite
Well, thanks for the advice - Next time I swing through, I will have a print out of the web page ready - unless my fellow FT er's start stopping by regularly, and the agents learn the rules. (LUCKY - headed to DTW any time soon????)

Good thing for FT. Without it, the characters working in the travel industry who don't know the rules and make them up as they go along, don't usually get away with that for too long!

FYI - The lounge in DTW is just around the corner as you are walking towards baggage claim from the UA gates. It is on the left, (again walking away from the gates towards baggage) and does not have a sign on the door. The only reason I even knew it was there was that there was a gentleman walking in front of me who swung in, and I recognized the yellow scarfs that the agents wear. It looks like a nice lounge from the outside. As per the web page, there is a Senator and a business class lounge there at the new North Terminal. Couldn't tell if there was a separation between them, or if they were one and the same.

Next time, I suppose!
Old May 2, 2009, 7:11 pm

I flew through DTW last week. Its a LH lounge for their DTW to FRA flight. Its not open all the time though, only opens for a couple of hours before the flight. They put a sign out front when the lounge is open.
Old May 2, 2009, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UAgeek71
(LUCKY - headed to DTW any time soon????)
DTW has to be one of the least MR friendly cities I know of... and that applies to NW and everyone else! I can't imagine Lucky transits here much. I go, because, well, the in-laws live there.....
Old Aug 17, 2009, 10:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Hello all - adding on to this old thread. I will be travelling LH from DTW-FRA later this week. I am a 1P with United but havent received my card in the mail yet, so am wondering whether any of you has had any luck with using the lounge without having your 1P/*G card on you? On reading other threads, I am planning to take a printout of my MP summary page that shows that I am a Prem Exec - anything else I need to keep in hand?

Thanks!
Old Aug 17, 2009, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA - Kettle
The majority of LH lounge matrons are very by the book. Generally, no card = no access, even if it can be proven otherwise. Sorry
Old Aug 18, 2009, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, RCC, HH GOLD, SPG, OMNI, KIMPTON, A-CLUB
Originally Posted by husker267
The majority of LH lounge matrons are very by the book. Generally, no card = no access, even if it can be proven otherwise. Sorry
+1
Old Aug 18, 2009, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by kingsubbu
Hello all - adding on to this old thread. I will be travelling LH from DTW-FRA later this week. I am a 1P with United but havent received my card in the mail yet, so am wondering whether any of you has had any luck with using the lounge without having your 1P/*G card on you? On reading other threads, I am planning to take a printout of my MP summary page that shows that I am a Prem Exec - anything else I need to keep in hand?

Thanks!
Given LH's past behavior, I would see if there's something more official-looking that you can get MP to fax you.

Alternatively, might want to ask the LH agent to call UA for you (not sure they'll do this).

Finally, be sure that the LH res shows you as *G. You may have to re-enter your MP number to get that to display if it's new status.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 8:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Is this thread accurate? Star gold can use the LH lounge when traveling on star alliance and not traveling internationally?
Old Aug 18, 2009, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by 100% Green
Is this thread accurate? Star gold can use the LH lounge when traveling on star alliance and not traveling internationally?
That has always been the case for non US and UA *G. And now even US and UA *G traveling on domestic *A flight have been able to get in LH lounge within US.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:15 am
Suspended

The lounge is very nice there. They serve tattingers champagne.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.