Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How Many UA Mileage Plus Members/Elites are There?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

How Many UA Mileage Plus Members/Elites are There?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
If they really wanted to cut down on the number of elite travelers, they'd have increased the PQM requirements too.
Instead they instituted 200% PQM on P fares. So you can make 1K on four international RTs in discount business class.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Instead they instituted 200% PQM on P fares. So you can make 1K on four international RTs in discount business class.
Which would still likely be in the vicinity of $16-20k PQD....
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I know there aren't a lot of Silver members commenting on this forum, but I think many of you who have higher status seem to think that Silver status is worthless. As a Silver who is also a cardholder, I find a huge difference from when I had the card, but no status. The biggest difference is E+. I am almost always able to get an exit-row seat at time of check-in, and I've never failed to get an aisle E+ seat. I get upgraded to first about 20% of the time. I also get great service from the premier line when I call in for help. These benefits don't come with the credit card. I find it worthwhile to do things like booking connections when non-stops are available, and occasionally upgrading to first just to get my number of segments up to 30. I don't always get enough PQD, but I spend enough on the card for the waiver.

Another benefit the card doesn't give is the increased mileage earnings. With the change away from actual mileage, the value here isn't as much as it used to be.

At any rate, I believe there are many Silvers who are similar to me, getting just enough to maintain that status. I don't fly very much for work, so I make up for it in my personal travel. If I'm willing to do it, I'm sure there are many others who are doing what it takes to get to even that minimum elite level.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
At any rate, I believe there are many Silvers who are similar to me, getting just enough to maintain that status. I don't fly very much for work, so I make up for it in my personal travel. If I'm willing to do it, I'm sure there are many others who are doing what it takes to get to even that minimum elite level.
The value of Silver depends very much on your travel patterns (like all status levels, frankly). If you're getting upgraded on 20% of your trips as a Silver, and getting E+ 100% of the time, it's definitely worth it -- but that upgrade percentage seems to be on the high side systemwide. (There are 1Ks who report an upgrade percentage less than 20%). The extra 2 miles per dollar on, say, $2500 PQD is 5K miles. Nothing to scoff at, but it only adds up to an extra domestic saver round-trip every five years. For most people who are considering stretching to get Silver, I'd suggest getting an E+ subscription instead.

You're definitely not alone, though. My boss has done mileage runs each of the last two years to gain UA Silver status. I'm pretty sure his upgrade percentage is 0, or close to it anyway -- but he considers E+ an upgrade and he's never missed that. So, it clearly makes sense for some people. ^
8MiHi likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
The value of Silver depends very much on your travel patterns (like all status levels, frankly). If you're getting upgraded on 20% of your trips as a Silver, and getting E+ 100% of the time, it's definitely worth it -- but that upgrade percentage seems to be on the high side systemwide. (There are 1Ks who report an upgrade percentage less than 20%). The extra 2 miles per dollar on, say, $2500 PQD is 5K miles. Nothing to scoff at, but it only adds up to an extra domestic saver round-trip every five years. For most people who are considering stretching to get Silver, I'd suggest getting an E+ subscription instead.

You're definitely not alone, though. My boss has done mileage runs each of the last two years to gain UA Silver status. I'm pretty sure his upgrade percentage is 0, or close to it anyway -- but he considers E+ an upgrade and he's never missed that. So, it clearly makes sense for some people. ^
Almost everyone I talk to who isn't a frequent flyer (and a friend who is United Gold / *G ) deems "E+" as "Premium Economy". They believe it is an upgrade!
Old Nov 15, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Almost everyone I talk to who isn't a frequent flyer (and a friend who is United Gold / *G ) deems "E+" as "Premium Economy". They believe it is an upgrade!
When I flew Air Canada to Tokyo last year in Y, I would have given a lot to have E+. I decided then that if I ever have to travel in Y TATL or TPAC again, it will be on United, where at least I can get E+.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, UA Gold
I made Silver for the first time in September, and since then I've flown 12 segments, with four CPUs, and always a good E+ seat except for a last second standby clearance. Of course the CPUs were not on hub-hub routes, but on ORD-DFW, YYC-ORD, DEN-ELP, and ELP-IAH. Definitely a good experience so far, and much better than simply having a free bag/premier access.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kadomony
I made Silver for the first time in September, and since then I've flown 12 segments, with four CPUs, and always a good E+ seat except for a last second standby clearance. Of course the CPUs were not on hub-hub routes, but on ORD-DFW, YYC-ORD, DEN-ELP, and ELP-IAH. Definitely a good experience so far, and much better than simply having a free bag/premier access.
That's the good life! When I first started flying frequently, I went from General Member to 1K all in one calendar year...I thoroughly enjoyed the perks, from free checked bags, to CPU's and additional customer service support. Back then, most of my flights were ORD-SAN, sometimes with a layover in a hub. I started flying ORD-SJO and got plenty of CPU's as a 1K. Life is much harder now flying SFO-ORD all the time.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Does UA provide a breakdown of the number of MP members by status? I would have thought Wall Street would be interested in the stats in terms of the "cost" of the program.

I am actually curious about the number of GS and 1K members.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Does UA provide a breakdown of the number of MP members by status? ....
No - not at least publically. It is considered proprietary information by "all" the programs.

But it does not prevent regular speculation on FT.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 12:00 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
As a Plat, I was convinced everyone in the world was either 1K or Plat, because BG1 was so big. As a demoted Plat (Gold), my perspective has changed; it doesn't seem to me there are nearly as many 1K & Plats as I thought when I was part of that group.

Point being there may be something going on that causes us to perceive more of "us" in whatever group "us" is in, than there actually are. When we're first part of "our" group, it may seem special, like we have Starz upon thars, but after a while, not so much, seems like everybody has Starz and we're no longer so special.

When the economy and airlines sucked, airlines made it super-easy to be elite. When the economy came back and businesses had significant travel budges again, adding PQD restrictions might have "inconvenienced" some leisure travelers, but that was more than offset by the increase in business flyers. So I'm guessing that the number of elites hasn't changed much as a percentage of air travelers, and with air travel increasing, you'd naturally have more elites. OK, yeah, call me Captain Obvious.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Does UA provide a breakdown of the number of MP members by status? I would have thought Wall Street would be interested in the stats in terms of the "cost" of the program.

I am actually curious about the number of GS and 1K members.
Post #92 in the following suggests a couple hundred thousand 1K's... Why not?
2018 Premier Kits are Shipping - Have you received yours?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
In 2005 MP had 42 million members with almost exactly 2% (838K) making Premier Elite at some level.
63.8% were Premier (today's Silver), 28.5% were Premier Executive (Gold and Platinum), 5.5% (46K) were 1K and 2.2% (18K) were GS.
With more than double the membership today it would be reasonable to find that these numbers have more than doubled.
There is likely to be around 100K 1Ks and 40K GS members. I do not believe there are a couple of hundred thousand 1Ks. It just seems that way.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
Post #92 in the following suggests a couple hundred thousand 1K's... ...
That was some careless phrasing by me, 100,000+- is the more common estimate for 1K and roughly a doubling for each lower level -- re-phrased the referenced posted. The point there was not all kits could be surface mailed at the same time -- since it is a big number)
8MiHi likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 10, 2018 at 2:40 pm Reason: lower levels
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:31 am

Number of UA GS/1k member?

How many UA global service members do you think exists? And
how about 1k members?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.