Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [Merged]

Old Aug 2, 2013, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nacho
Why does this lounge have its own thread?
Unlike most nonUnited Club Star Alliance (*A) lounges in the United States, the Lufthansa lounge at IAD is physically accessible to domestic UA passengers. This means:
  1. United *G members may access the lounge on domestic itineraries, even though they wouldn't be allowed free access to the United Clubs on such itineraries.
  2. Passengers who otherwise have United Club access, whether due to a paid membership or a foreign *G card, have the option of a vastly superior lounge in IAD.
What is the Lufthansa Lounge at IAD like?
There are two floors to the lounge: the concourse level, where you enter and check in, which also has the Senator lounge with ample windows; and the lower level, which has the Business lounge and showers. (The showers are very nice; on par with Senator lounge showers in Lufthansa's Frankfurt hub.)

The Senator lounge offers a complimentary buffet throughout the day, including hot dishes, salads, and dry snacks, and has draught beer and a full open bar including champagne, available upon request.

[Need description of FTL offering. Include photos?]

How do I get there?
The lounge is located at the center of the B concourse, from where non-US airlines depart, to the right of the Aerotrain escalators as you enter the concourse from the train.

Hours have changed seasonally, but, as of April 2014, are 8:20 to 21:30 except Mondays, when the lounge closes at 17:30. It also closes daily from 12:00 to 13:30. Some report the lounge opening earlier on occasion and some report it closing earlier on occasion.

From TSA/check-in, the B concourse is one stop away by Aerotrain, but in the opposite direction of the C concourse from where most United flights depart. Allow 20 minutes between the center of the C concourse and the Lufthansa Lounge. The longest part of the trip is the walk between the C concourse proper and its Aerotrain stop. Between concourses B and C, the Aerotrain makes two stops: one at concourse A and one at the main terminal/TSA/baggage claim.

How do I get inside?
With...
  • Any Star Gold (*G) card (including UA Premier Gold and higher) and a same-day departing *A boarding pass in any class to any destination, domestic or international. There are reports (April 2014) that the physical card is no longer necessary; a *G designation on the boarding pass reflected in the barcode may be sufficient. (Senator lounge, 1 guest)
  • A LH/LX HON/SEN card and a same-day departing or arriving *A boarding pass to/from any destination, domestic or international. (Senator lounge, 1 guest [plus spouse if HON] plus children under 18)
  • A LH/LX FTL card and a same-day departing *A boarding pass in any class to any destination, domestic or international. (Business lounge, no guests)
  • A LH Premium Economy boarding pass with ($35 adult/$20 2-12yo child) lounge pass purchased at the ticket counter. [Can it be paid at the entrance?] (Business lounge, no guests)
  • A United Club or Maple Leaf Lounge Worldwide membership card and a same-day departing *A boarding pass in any class to any destination, domestic or international. (Business lounge, 1 guest)
  • A same-day international departing *A First (Senator lounge, 1 guest) or Business (Business lounge, no guests) boarding pass
  • A same-day arriving LH/LX First boarding pass. (Senator lounge, 1 guest)

In all cases, each guest must also present a same-day *A boarding pass for admission.

Lounge access for travel in a domestic premium cabin is not regulated by *A; as such, UA F domestic passengers (without other credentials) do not have access to the LH Lounge according to *A.com, just as they do not have access to the United Clubs. However, the international requirement for C/F tickets is conspicuously absent from Lufthansa's own lounge access sheet (see below), and domestic UA F passengers have reported admission. (Senator lounge, 1 guest)
[If we get (semi-)official confirmation of this policy, we'll add this to the bullets.]

Provided the lounge does not get overcrowded, as is often the case on US-based LH lounges, you may exit and re-enter the lounge as often as you wish. Note that if you are entering on a lounge pass, which are issued by Lufthansa to their own elites for various reasons, re-entry might not be allowed.

(If your access question wasn't addressed by the above, first check the *A access policy and LH's official access policy [generally relying on the least restrictive policy of the two if they appear to conflict], and if they answer a question that this wiki couldn't, update this wiki to help others! And if they don't, ask in the thread!)

So, can I use the lounge upon arrival in IAD?
Only LH/LX SEN/HON (on any *A carrier) and LH/LX F passengers have access to the lounge upon arrival at IAD without regard to onward travel. See the list above for more details. There are reports, however, of passengers not meeting this criteria presenting their arriving boarding pass and still being admitted.

Furthermore, note that, by virtue of not having access to the terminal, no international passenger whose journey ends at IAD has access to the lounge; they will be ferried by mobile lounge to the International Arrivals Building, which deposits passengers landside. [Can pax without checked bags choose to clear CBP in concourse C regardless? Also, do arriving passengers on LH/LX/*A F/C connecting at IAD to Y-class flights have access? According to LH.com, pax arriving in C on LH/LX can use the lounges in Germany and at JFK upon arrival to freshen up. Is the same courtesy extended at IAD?]

How does the Senator lounge compare to the newest Senator lounges in FRA?
Not favorably. The Senator lounge is like the old FRA lounges (cramped, and before a LH flight departure, crowded). Perhaps due to the crowding, LH offers its departing F pax preboarding from the Senator lounge, something which the FRA/MUC FCT/FCL does not offer but is common among LH's outstation lounges. So, enjoying champagne and macadamias at the nose or upper deck while waiting is a nice feature of the IAD Senator lounge.

This sounds too good to be true!
Lufthansa agrees! If the rumors are true, as of January 1, 2015, LH's Business Lounges will become its *G lounges, which means non-LH *Gs will be directed downstairs to the Business lounge after that date. There's some discussion of exceptions, most notable being that *G traveling in longhaul business class will still be admitted to the SEN lounge. Lufthansa has been more generous than most *A airlines in admitting *Gs to its designated *A First class loungesnot even UA's own 1Ks get to visit United's first class lounges without a first class ticketso this change will bring Lufthansa somewhat more in line with the rest of the alliance. Went to the LH IAD lounge in June 2016 with TK G and SK BP flying Y, we were directed into the Senator lounge.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [Merged]

Old Jun 15, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by goalie
Thank you ^ as I have a nice 5 1/2 hour sit from 11:30am-5pm and after a red-eye LAX-BOS and then on to IAD, the shower and lunch is gonna be nice . Also, is wifi still free with the code they give you?
Yes, last time I was there the wifi code was free. They did take away the few desktops that they had in there ( or at least I did not see them ) I did not try the wifi but one in my group did..
Old Jun 15, 2012, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Can anyone confirm usage after 6pm? Would be a huge boon for those of us who want a meal before departing on the evening flights to west coast. ^

We tried earlier this year @6pm and it was shut down. Nothing is worse than wasting 20m getting from Terminal B to C/D after a trip in vain.
As of a couple weeks ago, it was open until at least 8pm when I left.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:21 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Originally Posted by goalie
Thank you ^ as I have a nice 5 1/2 hour sit from 11:30am-5pm and after a red-eye LAX-BOS and then on to IAD, the shower and lunch is gonna be nice . Also, is wifi still free with the code they give you?
Yes, last time I was there the wifi code was free. They did take away the few desktops that they had in there ( or at least I did not see them ) I did not try the wifi but one in my group did..
Thank you as now I will be able to peruse F/t fully refreshed after taking a shower
Old Jun 26, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: A3*G, AB*S. TK*G, AB, Hyatt Platinum
Hello,

This question may have been answered in the prev 50 pages, but a friend of mine would like to confirm whether he can access the LH Senator Lounge at IAD with his UA Domestic F boarding pass (IAD - SAN)? He's not *G with any carriers, and can he bring one guest too?
Old Jun 26, 2012, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Must be *Gold

Originally Posted by mimimin
Hello,

This question may have been answered in the prev 50 pages, but a friend of mine would like to confirm whether he can access the LH Senator Lounge at IAD with his UA Domestic F boarding pass (IAD - SAN)? He's not *G with any carriers, and can he bring one guest too?
Hi mimimim Welcome to Flyer Talk. You need a same day Boarding Pass and a *GOLD card to enter the LH Senator Lounge at IAD. The F Class has no game.. Sorry.. Safe Travels
Old Jun 26, 2012, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Hello,

If he's not *G, then he won't be allowed to access the LH lounge at IAD. Additionally, he won't be able to use any of the UA lounges unless he purchases a one-time pass or membership.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
If he's not *G, then he won't be allowed to access the LH lounge at IAD. Additionally, he won't be able to use any of the UA lounges unless he purchases a one-time pass or membership.
I just checked out Lufthansa's Lounge access policy (http://www.lufthansa.com/ca/en/Loung...access#ancAbT0) and the chart basically states if you have a Star Alliance First Class Ticket , then by presenting a First Class Star Alliance boarding pass for a same-day departing flight, you would gain access to Lufthansa Senator Lounge. I guess this means you only require a F boarding pass from any Star carrier?
Old Jun 26, 2012, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I just checked out Lufthansa's Lounge access policy (http://www.lufthansa.com/ca/en/Loung...access#ancAbT0) and the chart basically states if you have a Star Alliance First Class Ticket , then by presenting a First Class Star Alliance boarding pass for a same-day departing flight, you would gain access to Lufthansa Senator Lounge. I guess this means you only require a F boarding pass from any Star carrier?
Has to be an international F boarding pass.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 8:09 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Has to be an international F boarding pass.
I contacted Lufthansa directly, and apparently you only need a F boarding pass (regardless of its destination) from any Star carrier to gain access to LH Senator Lounge anywhere worldwide. No Star Gold Card required. You can also bring a guest who is also travelling on a Star flight out of the same airport.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 8:13 pm

Did not know that..

I contacted Lufthansa directly, and apparently you only need a F boarding pass (regardless of its destination) from any Star carrier to gain access to LH Senator Lounge anywhere worldwide. No Star Gold Card required. You can also bring a guest who is also travelling on a Star flight out of the same airport.
Thanks for the update. Appreciate you letting us know.. I did not know that. Many F Domestic Pax will be running there if the news gets out.. Safe Travels
Old Jun 27, 2012, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First I've heard of a domestic F ticket working for access, without *G.. I'm a bit skeptical of this, so I'll be interested to see if it actually works...
Old Jun 27, 2012, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA *Gold (1 MM)
Let us know

This policy conflicts with the UA lounge access policy re: Star Alliance lounges; UA specifically excludes domestic F (footnote e). The final decision will be made by the LH lounge matron at IAD. Let us know how that goes.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Flexible Flyer
This policy conflicts with the UA lounge access policy re: Star Alliance lounges; UA specifically excludes domestic F (footnote e). The final decision will be made by the LH lounge matron at IAD. Let us know how that goes.
Everytime I was at theIAD LH Senator Lounge, they took my *Gold Card and ticket, swiped the card and directed me to the Senator Lounge. I have been on Domestic flights in Coach and used my *Gold as well. Never tried without it, even in F.. So, I have no game in saying no. Just got me curious. I actually hope its not true..
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:15 pm

lh website does not seem to differentiate between international and domestic first (which really is equivalent to business) class as opposed to star alliance website. It would be interested to see how it works for domestic first class passengers.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Nice to know. Please let us how it goes after you or some one else have tried it out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.