Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated IAD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2024, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Active thread: Consolidated IAD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

MCT generic
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .45 .45 1.30 1.30UA-UA DD .40 EQP W - ALL
UA-UA DD .40 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 1 - 2839
UA-UA DD .40 FLT 1 - 2839 - FLT 3160 - 6384
UA-UA DD .35 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 3160 - 6384
UA-UA DD .30
**-UA DD .55
UA-** DD .55
UA-UA ID 1.10 FLT 1 - 2839 - FLT 1 - 2839

Connecting Information:

International Connections at IAD will use the mid-field terminal. Passengers will clear Immigration and Customs before retrieving/rechecking bags.
There is a TSA precheck lane.

Archive: Consolidated IAD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated IAD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by threeoh;30952481[b
]If same ticket, they will check before your first leg.[/b]

If separate tickets, I don't know if they would be willing to handle this for you on request at the check-in for your domestic flight. I don't see why they wouldn't; on the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't really set up to do that.

If you are already airside at airport where your int'l flight departs, they can (and will) check it at the gate. You can either get in line or wait for them to call your name.

If you aren't checked in and are in danger of missing the T-60 (int'l) check-in deadline and no GAs are at your gate, you can go to a United Club / Polaris Lounge or you can go to one of the airside customer service centers and check in with a kiosk or a human. On the UA terminal maps, these are blue circles with white checks:

https://www.united.com/web/en-us/con...wr.aspx?POS=US
I fly to Canada frequently and UA has never checked for my passport when boarding the first (domestic) leg. It's always been when boarding the US-CAN flight that it's been checked.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I fly to Canada frequently and UA has never checked for my passport when boarding the first (domestic) leg. It's always been when boarding the US-CAN flight that it's been checked.
If you travel frequently, your passport is stored in UA's system. We're talking about people flying with a "new to UA" passport. Generally you can't check in for or fly an int'l itinerary (even domestic legs) without giving your passport info.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by threeoh
If you travel frequently, your passport is stored in UA's system. We're talking about people flying with a "new to UA" passport. Generally you can't check in for or fly an int'l itinerary (even domestic legs) without giving your passport info.
But that's a no-brainer. The UA app on a phone will record the passport data with the built-in camera.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:08 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
I'm thinking of booking YOW-IAD-FRA-LJU this July with 1h05 in IAD. Does that seem like a feasible connection? It's not critical that I make FRA-LJU, but it would certainly be a hassle if I missed it. Otherwise, I have to book something like YOW-YUL-FRA-LJU which only has 1h10 in FRA -- also a problem
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:14 am

I think this question has been effectively answered by piecing together different discussions on this thread but just to be confirm.

I'm flying on United metal from DUB-IAD-SFO. I plan on checking a bag and assume that it will go through to my final destination at SFO. If I decide to purchase whiskey at duty free, I shouldn't have problems taking it through on my domestic connection to SFO, right? If it were a different airline like Aer Lingus, I think that would be a problem as I would have to leave the International section, and go back through security so I'd have to check in my duty-free purchase of liquor since I couldn't get through security with the 750ml of liquids.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
You had better hope that you have to collect your bags at IAD, clear customs and recheck them. If they are sent directly to SFO without you touching them at IAD, your duty-free is SOL -- unless you can put them in a carryon that you then check. You will not be able to take it into the cabin of your IAD-SFO flight.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by seenitall
You had better hope that you have to collect your bags at IAD, clear customs and recheck them. If they are sent directly to SFO without you touching them at IAD, your duty-free is SOL -- unless you can put them in a carryon that you then check. You will not be able to take it into the cabin of your IAD-SFO flight.
Since I will be going through Pre-Clearance with CBP when departing from DUB, I would have thought that when I land in IAD, I will be in a domestic terminal and can just walk to my connecting gate without going through customs and having collect my luggage and check it again?

At least that's what I thought from reading through the posts in this thread.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by rccsd
Since I will be going through Pre-Clearance with CBP when departing from DUB, I would have thought that when I land in IAD, I will be in a domestic terminal and can just walk to my connecting gate without going through customs and having collect my luggage and check it again?

At least that's what I thought from reading through the posts in this thread.
You are correct. DUB is a CBP clearance station, so when you get off the plane you'll get off just like someone would flying in from Chicago. I am not 100% sure about this, but I believe your bags will be fine and just transfered like normal (domestic) at IAD. I'll let others chime in though to say for sure.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:01 pm

I'm not too worried about my checked bag. I just don't want to have to donate a newly acquired duty-free bottle of Irish whiskey to TSA because I have go through security again.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by UAL250
You are correct. DUB is a CBP clearance station, so when you get off the plane you'll get off just like someone would flying in from Chicago. I am not 100% sure about this, but I believe your bags will be fine and just transfered like normal (domestic) at IAD. I'll let others chime in though to say for sure.
They transfer checked bags from pre-cleared flights from Canada all the time and there is no need to reclear security. I don't see why they would treat DUB any differently.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 11:48 am

It's been years since I connected in IAD. Have I understood correctly that upon arrival from an international flight, connecting to domestic, we will not have to take moonbuggies?

We will arrive on SK from CPH (terminal B?) and connect to a UA domestic flight to MCO (terminal C/D?). We have Global Entry.

From what I've gleaned here, Global Entry will speed us through customs & immigration, and there is a TSA Pre-check queue when clearing security. But we still have to wait for luggage and re-check, correct? And we will not be transported via moonbuggies?

We have 2 hours if the flight is on time. Should be ok?
Old Oct 7, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by SusanDK
It's been years since I connected in IAD. Have I understood correctly that upon arrival from an international flight, connecting to domestic, we will not have to take moonbuggies?

We will arrive on SK from CPH (terminal B?) and connect to a UA domestic flight to MCO (terminal C/D?). We have Global Entry.

From what I've gleaned here, Global Entry will speed us through customs & immigration, and there is a TSA Pre-check queue when clearing security. But we still have to wait for luggage and re-check, correct? And we will not be transported via moonbuggies?

We have 2 hours if the flight is on time. Should be ok?
If I understand correctly, you will be on moon buggy. Arrival at B, and there are 2 ques. One for connecting flights and one for terminating at IAD.
Moon buggy takes you to mid-field immigration / customs. You clear immigration, wait for bag, go through customs, drop bag for connecting flight, then go to gate.
At least that is how it worked on an OS arrival last month.
And yes, 2 hours should be plenty of time.

The no-moon-buggy is if you arrive on United, so you are already at mid-field immigration.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 2:04 pm

Thank you! Very helpful information - I guess it was wishful thinking that we'd avoid the moon buggies. Good to be prepared and know what to expect.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold
SK arrives in terminal B. You will be funneled to one of two lines: connecting pax, or final destination IAD.

You will go to the "connecting pax" line and take the moon buggy over to FIS in terminal C, where you will clear immigration and customs, then drop your bag(s) off again. Your connecting flight to MCO will leave either from the C gates or the D gates.

With GE, 2 hours is more than enough time at IAD.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 10:52 pm

I am debating whether I should just travel with carry-on luggage and not bother with a checked bag. I'd appreciate any and all opinions. I have two separate bookings. One getting me from CPH to IAD on an SK flight. I arrive this coming Wednesday at 3:15pm. Second booking (domestic United) leaves IAD at 5:15pm. If SK is unable to check my bag through to my final destination due to the separate bookings, what are my chances of making my connection if I have to go all the way to the Main Terminal to collect my bag and check in again? I know no one can say for certain, but I'm wondering if anyone has had similar experiences at IAD? I hold a US passport, but no Global Entry or Pre-Check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.