Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated IAD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2024, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Active thread: Consolidated IAD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

MCT generic
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .45 .45 1.30 1.30UA-UA DD .40 EQP W - ALL
UA-UA DD .40 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 1 - 2839
UA-UA DD .40 FLT 1 - 2839 - FLT 3160 - 6384
UA-UA DD .35 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 3160 - 6384
UA-UA DD .30
**-UA DD .55
UA-** DD .55
UA-UA ID 1.10 FLT 1 - 2839 - FLT 1 - 2839

Connecting Information:

International Connections at IAD will use the mid-field terminal. Passengers will clear Immigration and Customs before retrieving/rechecking bags.
There is a TSA precheck lane.

Archive: Consolidated IAD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated IAD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Anyone know if pre-check is available for I-D connection security at IAD now? Haven’t connected this way through IAD before, so curious. If not, is it faster (or even possible to) exit as a terminating at IAD passenger and clearing security in one of the regular lines.

Anybody been through IAD recently to know if the lack of TSA staff with the shutdown (more people calling in sick than normal) is having any impact at IAD. Have a < 2 hour connection to domestic and don’t want to cut it too close.
I just arrived IAD yesterday afternoon on an Intl to Dom connection. I used the transfer / mid-Field process and it went very smoothly. There wasn't any type of line, and it looked almost like US citizens were all going through a Pre-Check process, and Foreign passports went to a different line. Can't swear 100% as it went really quick, but that is how it appeared to me. They may be adjusting process to account for staff shortages?

There were signs in place for Pre-Check there as well, so I would go that route instead of exiting as a terminating passenger.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:05 am

Does anyone know if the Passport Express machines have been permanently removed from IAD? I flew through a couple of weeks ago and there was no sign of them, but unclear if that was due to the shutdown or a permanent change.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:23 pm

United flight- 49 minutes to short for connection?

Hello, first time flyers here. In May I will be traveling with my 6 year-old son to orlando from Cleveland. We leave Cleveland at 6AM and arrive in DC IAD at 7:26am. I didn't realize until today that we have to switch planes. The connection plane leaves at 8:15 So we have 49 minutes to make it to the next flight and be boarded. I'm honestly freaking out alittle. I called United and she said that the minimum connection time is 45 minutes so look we get 4 extra minutes 😐. Tickets are non refundable or changeable 😭😭 Can we do it?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:28 pm

Can we do it?
Yes.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Samantha Anne
Hello, first time flyers here. In May I will be traveling with my 6 year-old son to orlando from Cleveland. We leave Cleveland at 6AM and arrive in DC IAD at 7:26am. I didn't realize until today that we have to switch planes. The connection plane leaves at 8:15 So we have 49 minutes to make it to the next flight and be boarded. I'm honestly freaking out alittle. I called United and she said that the minimum connection time is 45 minutes so look we get 4 extra minutes ��. Tickets are non refundable or changeable ���� Can we do it?
A lot of this will depend on the gates used -- how far are the gates apart from each other.
And the other factor is if your plane from CLE arrives on time -- fortunately, early morning flights tend to do better on this.

You should try to choose seats as far toward the front of the plane as you can as this will get you off the CLE flight the soonest possible.

Assume you arrive on time -- 7:26 AM
You get off the plane by, say, 7:35 AM
The Worst case walk is about 15-20 minutes (no stops, no restrooms and the 6-year-old is cooperative) -- arriving at Orlando departure 7:55 AM
You have arrived at the gate 5 minutes before boarding ends at 8:00 AM-- tight but doable.
If the gates are closer, that gives a little extra margin.

But with a 6-year-old, it would be better to have more time -- but if you purchased Basic Economy non-changeable tickets, you don't have much leverage.

Two things to be aware of
1) a schedule change -- if either flight changes their schedule between now and May, the drops the connection below MCT, UA will be required to offer a "legal" connection
2) If you miss the connection, then UA will put you on the next available flight (with seats)
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:50 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
2) If you miss the connection, then UA will put you on the next available flight (with seats)
There is a 95% chance you'll be fine. But, I want to emphasize this last point: you're not completely hosed if you do miss it. UA will put you on the next UA flight with seats at not additional charge. It's disappointing to have the start of your vacation delayed like this, but not catastrophic. Protip: Call UA before waiting more than 10 minutes in a customer service line at IAD.

Also: traveling with a six year old can be fun. Great chance for one-on-one time. That said, when I'm with my kids, all dietary and screen time rules are suspended on airplanes.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Samantha Anne
Hello, first time flyers here. In May I will be traveling with my 6 year-old son to orlando from Cleveland. We leave Cleveland at 6AM and arrive in DC IAD at 7:26am. I didn't realize until today that we have to switch planes. The connection plane leaves at 8:15 So we have 49 minutes to make it to the next flight and be boarded. I'm honestly freaking out alittle. I called United and she said that the minimum connection time is 45 minutes so look we get 4 extra minutes 😐. Tickets are non refundable or changeable 😭😭 Can we do it?
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

The answer to your question is that it is absolutely possible to make the connection, and if the flights are on time, there's a good chance that you won't have any problems. I do agree with the advice to watch the schedule. If the connection changes by even one minute, call UA and ask if you can be put on a longer connection or a nonstop flight. Explain that you were already nervous about the short connection, and now you're even more nervous. Be polite, and be prepared to HUCA (Hang Up and Call Again) if the first agent doesn't want to help. It's generally best not to escalate to a supervisor, as the supervisors tend to back up whatever the agents say, and you'll get a note in your record that will make the next agent less likely to help you.

However, the most important thing you can do is to be prepared on the day of travel. If you have a smartphone, make sure that you have the United app installed. Wi-fi is available on United flights, and you should be able to access the United app at no charge. That will give you up-to-date information about your flights' gates. There is a map of the Washington Dulles airport in the Hemispheres magazine (in every seat pocket on the plane), and there is an interactive map in the United app as well. The gate information can change, so double-check it from time-to-time if possible.

You're unlikely to have a lot of extra time for dining or bathroom breaks; try to get those necessities taken care of in Cleveland or on board your first flight.

There is a nonstop flight from Cleveland to Orlando that leaves every day around 9:30 AM. If your first flight looks like it's going to be delayed, you can ask to see if the gate agent would be willing to put you onto the nonstop. If not -- or if the delay happens after you've already gotten on the plane, which is possible -- there are several other flights from Washington to Orlando after yours. Look for the customer service desk; and, if possible, call United while you're in line. That way you're basically waiting in two lines at once, and you can get help from either person.

And, most of all, try not to freak out. May is a long time away, and you're liable to spoil your trip if you spend that entire time stressing about the flight. There's a good chance you'll be fine, and you've done the legwork to be prepared if there is an issue.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
A lot of this will depend on the gates used -- how far are the gates apart from each other.
And the other factor is if your plane from CLE arrives on time -- fortunately, early morning flights tend to do better on this.
Yesterday's 6AM departure arrived at IAD 14 mins early - which bodes well. Your flight will most likely arrive at the A terminal, which means you will have to take the Aerotrain (or the moon buggy, if it is operating) to the C/D terminal.

As others have noted, if your flight leaves CLE on time, you should have no problem making the connection.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
Yesterday's 6AM departure arrived at IAD 14 mins early - which bodes well. Your flight will most likely arrive at the A terminal, which means you will have to take the Aerotrain (or the moon buggy, if it is operating) to the C/D terminal.
No, it won't. The 6 AM flight is a 737 in May. The A terminal gates are used for regional jets; a 737 will operate out of the C/D terminal. The 6 AM flight is a regional jet now, but that's seasonal.

OP: You should be able to walk from one gate to the other; no train or moon buggy involved.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jsloan
No, it won't. The 6 AM flight is a 737 in May. The A terminal gates are used for regional jets; a 737 will operate out of the C/D terminal. The 6 AM flight is a regional jet now, but that's seasonal.

OP: You should be able to walk from one gate to the other; no train or moon buggy involved.
didnt realize the equipment change - my bad.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:32 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
On an UA international to UA domestic connection at IAD, is it possible to claim a checked bag, clear customs & immigration, then walk out of the terminal without rechecking bag as if I were terminating there? For the curious minds, I need to retrieve items from the checked bag for friends outside of security. TIA.

LAX
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by LAX
On an UA international to UA domestic connection at IAD, is it possible to claim a checked bag, clear customs & immigration, then walk out of the terminal without rechecking bag as if I were terminating there? For the curious minds, I need to retrieve items from the checked bag for friends outside of security. TIA.

LAX
Yes, the airport doesn't care if you recheck your bags or not.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by LAX

LAX
Assuming your bag is tagged to your final destination, it will be sent to the midfield CBP facility dedicated to connecting passengers. The only way out of that facility is through the TSA checkpoint. The bag recheck point is prior to the TSA screening. If the items you want to hand to the friends are permitted in carry-on, you could bring them into the secure area, then proceed to the Main Terminal and meet them outside.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Yes, the airport doesn't care if you recheck your bags or not.
Originally Posted by 14940674
Assuming your bag is tagged to your final destination, it will be sent to the midfield CBP facility dedicated to connecting passengers. The only way out of that facility is through the TSA checkpoint. The bag recheck point is prior to the TSA screening. If the items you want to hand to the friends are permitted in carry-on, you could bring them into the secure area, then proceed to the Main Terminal and meet them outside.
14940674 is correct. The airport doesn't care, but IAD has an unusual setup where connecting passengers go through customs and immigration in a completely separate building from arriving passengers.

OP: the only way you're going to get this to work is if you can either carry the items through the checkpoint, as suggested, or if you can get UA to short-check your bags to IAD. Unless you have an overnight transfer at Dulles, that's against UA policy, and it's unlikely that they'll agree.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:09 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by 14940674
Thanks. I am glad I asked. I have never made an international to domestic connection at IAD and didn't realize this is how it works there. I guess I will need to come up with an alternate plan.

LAX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.