Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated IAD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2024, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Active thread: Consolidated IAD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

MCT generic
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .45 .45 1.30 1.30UA-UA DD .40 EQP W - ALL
UA-UA DD .40 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 1 - 2839
UA-UA DD .40 FLT 1 - 2839 - FLT 3160 - 6384
UA-UA DD .35 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 3160 - 6384
UA-UA DD .30
**-UA DD .55
UA-** DD .55
UA-UA ID 1.10 FLT 1 - 2839 - FLT 1 - 2839

Connecting Information:

International Connections at IAD will use the mid-field terminal. Passengers will clear Immigration and Customs before retrieving/rechecking bags.
There is a TSA precheck lane.

Archive: Consolidated IAD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated IAD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Imstevek
Why does IAD do everything different than all the other UA hubs re: immigration and security? Why do they always do it in backwards manner? They've leapfrogged EWR in terms of poor execution and thought, hands down.
IAD gets the back of UAs hand in almost every aspect of the passenger experience, with the midfield "temporary" concourse being the primary example. Crappy UCs, overcrowded gates, and arrivals area are miserable even on a good day. Simply put, UA refuses to fork out the $$$$ for a proper concourse and decent passenger experience because there is no real competition.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:39 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sannmann
What is the current minimum connect time at IAD for international to domestic, both on UA?
Usually not one for doing less then 1.5 hour connections, but found a great price on a return from BOS with a 51 min connection at IAD. Route would be BOS-IAD-IAH on a Sunday morning in late october. Depart BOS at 5:50am so not expecting any delays there. Think I should do it?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by S.R
Usually not one for doing less then 1.5 hour connections, but found a great price on a return from BOS with a 51 min connection at IAD. Route would be BOS-IAD-IAH on a Sunday morning in late october. Depart BOS at 5:50am so not expecting any delays there. Think I should do it?
That early on a Sunday I wouldn't hesitate myself to book it.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by halls120
IAD gets the back of UAs hand in almost every aspect of the passenger experience, with the midfield "temporary" concourse being the primary example. Crappy UCs, overcrowded gates, and arrivals area are miserable even on a good day. Simply put, UA refuses to fork out the $$$$ for a proper concourse and decent passenger experience because there is no real competition.
Yes, but there are also a lot of cooks in the kitchen. UA doesn’t want to pay for a new terminal there; it thinks MWAA will pay. MWAA hopes that Uncle Sam will pay for a new Terminal- it is the national capital, after all. Then, there are also VA, MD, and DC- none of which can agree on the future of the airport.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: StarWood Hotels-Gold, Loews Hotels-Gold, RCI-Diamond, HH Diamond
Hi All,

Traveling soon FRA - IAD - TPA in economy. FRA - IAD arrives at 4:00pm and IAD - TPA departs at 6:06pm.

I am GE and on one ticket with not bags. I presume I should be fine, but welcome opinions. Also, how best to clear before or after train?

Many thanks,

Andrew
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by CoHiba Gent
Hi All,

Traveling soon FRA - IAD - TPA in economy. FRA - IAD arrives at 4:00pm and IAD - TPA departs at 6:06pm.

I am GE and on one ticket with not bags. I presume I should be fine, but welcome opinions. Also, how best to clear before or after train?

Many thanks,

Andrew
You should be fine. I would use mid-field transfer, as you end up right inside the C/D terminal. I assume your TPA flight is mainline, not UAX?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Layover issue?

Hello,
So i am doing this route.

YYZ --> SIN

Toronto, ON, CA (YYZ - Pearson) to Washington, DC, US (IAD - Dulles)
10:24 am - 11:48 am (1h 24m)
UA 6198 Canadair Regional Jet 700
51m connection
Washington, DC, US (IAD - Dulles) to Los Angeles, CA, US (LAX)
12:39 pm - 3:33 pm (5h 54m)
5h 22m connection
Los Angeles, CA, US (LAX) to Singapore, SG (SIN)
8:55 pm - 6:50 am (17h 55m)

I am not worried about the LAX since it's ample time but i think 51 mins from international YYZ To IAD to switch to LAX might be a bit too tight?

Anyone with these experience?
This flight is happening on a Sat.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: BA GfL
You should clear US customs and immigration in Toronto, so what you’re taking is in effect a domestic flight from YYZ to IAD. The time may still be tight if your flight is delayed at all, but if the airline sold you this itinerary on one ticket, then they are OK with a 51-minute connection. If you are truly worried about it (and I might be, given that you are connecting to a trans-Pacific flight that might be hard to find a substitute for if you miss it), then take an earlier flight to IAD, or figure out a better way to get to LAX.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:04 pm

i gave united a call and voiced my concerns , they said no worries and will take care of it should problems arise.
I guess it's onto them as long as i dont get dragged out haha!
would be a first on the dreamliner thou.

thanks travelmad478!
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The connection, while International-to-domestic is logistically domestic-to-domestic because you will pre-clear CBP at YYZ and thus arrive as a domestic passenger at IAD and simply walk (potentially train) to your LAX departure gate.

Thus, the connection is within MCT and UA will rebook if you misconnect. But, it is far outside SCT (Sensible Connection Time) because the consequences of a misconnect are fairly significant and may cause a delay of a day or more or potentially two lengthy flights in the lousiest left-over seats on the aircraft.

The combination of smaller aircraft, winter weather and tight connection all add up to problems for you even if UA handles the rebooking.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:11 pm

here's to hoping feb 24 wont be have bad weather=/

Thanks all!
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:47 pm

arriving KE first, checked bag, mobile passport entry --> UA Express, regular TSA
1:45 connection, on a Sunday, separate tickets

never transited IAD before so I assume you have to grab your bag, go to UA and do a new check in

Doable? and any advice?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by saaveraward
arriving KE first, checked bag, mobile passport entry --> UA Express, regular TSA
1:45 connection, on a Sunday, separate tickets

never transited IAD before so I assume you have to grab your bag, go to UA and do a new check in

Doable? and any advice?
That will be really tight. Risky, for sure, especially on separate tickets.

Yes, you will need to collect bag and re-drop with United. If you can get your bag interlined, you would need to use the midfield connection. If not, you will need to go through IAD arrival channel. Note that if you do not get your bag interlined, the cutoff time for baggage check in is 45 minutes prior to your United scheduled flight departure.

If you use the mid-field connection, you will exit TSA right into the C/D terminal. Most UAX flights leave from Terminal A, which is a 15 minute trip from C/D (walk + train + walk). Some UAX flights do depart from C/D, especially the larger regional jets. Checking gate history will give you some clue as for what to expect.

Good luck. I think you are going to need it.

Definitely have the United app on your phone, for checking in for your flight as well as checking gate and flight status.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Asked and answered many times over in the UA forum https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ional-iad.html
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: UA MM
The backup flight from IAD to LAX, should you miss the original, still probably gets to LAX in time to make that UA flight to Singapore (~ 1 hour connection). I'm sure they'd do their best to get you over to that gate in time.

Last edited by JimInOhio; Jan 23, 2018 at 8:15 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.