Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2017, 6:22 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by swiftaw
If the re-routing occurs on the outbound part of your itinerary, should I wait until after I have completed the return portion of the itinerary before I claim for Original Routing Credit, or does it not matter?
No need. Give the outbound 4 or 5 days to post and you should be fine to call in for ORC, based on my experience.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
So the mileage posted for my rerouted journey. Interestingly, it turns out when they rerouted me they booked me into Y class, so I got the fare class bonus. Thus even though the rerouted itinerary covered fewer miles I actually earned more PQM than I would've done on my original itinerary, so no need to file for ORC.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 5:33 am

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz, National
This trip is currently in process, so the miles haven't posted yet. Just trying to be proactive and make sure I know what to keep an eye out for...

Original itinerary (SK ticket stock):
CLE-ORD (UA, P); ORD-ARN (SK, Z); ARN-GDN (SK, Z)

CLE-ORD segment was delayed and would have preventing me from making the rest of the onward segments. Agent at UC in CLE put me on the following itinerary:

New itinerary (UA ticket stock and labeled INVOL):
CLE-IAD (UA, Z); IAD-FRA (UA, Y - upgraded to R); FRA-GDN (LH, C)

1) When I look at the receipt on my MP account, it appears the IAD-FRA segment will post as Z with the higher mileage accruals, rather than Y. I hope this actually occurs since I was ultimately on a paid business class fare.

2) If my calculations are correct, the new routing will result in more PQM, PQD, and PQS - mainly driven by the fact that I went from SK to UA ticket stock. Will I get the higher amounts?

3) Anything else I should be concerned with?

Thanks!
Old Oct 15, 2017, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by BasedinCLE
This trip is currently in process, so the miles haven't posted yet. Just trying to be proactive and make sure I know what to keep an eye out for...

Original itinerary (SK ticket stock):
CLE-ORD (UA, P); ORD-ARN (SK, Z); ARN-GDN (SK, Z)

CLE-ORD segment was delayed and would have preventing me from making the rest of the onward segments. Agent at UC in CLE put me on the following itinerary:

New itinerary (UA ticket stock and labeled INVOL):
CLE-IAD (UA, Z); IAD-FRA (UA, Y - upgraded to R); FRA-GDN (LH, C)

1) When I look at the receipt on my MP account, it appears the IAD-FRA segment will post as Z with the higher mileage accruals, rather than Y. I hope this actually occurs since I was ultimately on a paid business class fare.

2) If my calculations are correct, the new routing will result in more PQM, PQD, and PQS - mainly driven by the fact that I went from SK to UA ticket stock. Will I get the higher amounts?

3) Anything else I should be concerned with?

Thanks!
You will get miles flown with 200% PQM. Makes no sense to ask for ORC here IMO. Not sure why the Y --> R crediting as Z. How did the Y --> R happen?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz, National
Originally Posted by cfischer
You will get miles flown with 200% PQM. Makes no sense to ask for ORC here IMO. Not sure why the Y --> R crediting as Z. How did the Y --> R happen?
Well, I'm not sure it'll be Z exactly. Based on the MP accrual calculations on the receipt, it looks like I'll be getting the 200% PQM for the segment - rather than the 150% I would get if I was Y.

The Y-->R happened because the UC agent couldn't confirm me in business at the time I was rerouted. Instead, she put me at the top of the upgrade list on the IAD-FRA flight and wished me luck. Thankfully, the upgrade went through after the flight closed about 10 minutes before boarding - otherwise it would have been seat 42B on a 772! Unfortunately, no other routing we could come up with had a confirmable business seat and leaving the next day wasn't an option for me.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BasedinCLE
Well, I'm not sure it'll be Z exactly. Based on the MP accrual calculations on the receipt, it looks like I'll be getting the 200% PQM for the segment - rather than the 150% I would get if I was Y.

The Y-->R happened because the UC agent couldn't confirm me in business at the time I was rerouted. Instead, she put me at the top of the upgrade list on the IAD-FRA flight and wished me luck. Thankfully, the upgrade went through after the flight closed about 10 minutes before boarding - otherwise it would have been seat 42B on a 772! Unfortunately, no other routing we could come up with had a confirmable business seat and leaving the next day wasn't an option for me.
o.k., if the underlying ticket is Z then it should credit as Z. If not, write to UA and they will fix it.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I just submitted a request for ORC for my flights last week.

Scheduled to fly XXX-SFO-ORD, but due to wildfires/smoke, XXX-SFO was going to be about 2.5-3 hours delayed and likely would have missed SFO-ORD.

I got the red banner/exclamation point in my app to change flights, so got myself on the XXX-ORD non-stop about 10 minutes before XXX-SFO boarded.

I have no idea how this situation gets coded in the system (INVOL vs VOL or something else), although WineCountry seems to suggest only an agent-initiated change is coded as such.

Any similar experience being prompted to change your flight through the app due to potential IRROPS and still getting ORC? went back about 70 posts and didn't see anything relevant.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I just submitted a request for ORC for my flights last week.

Scheduled to fly XXX-SFO-ORD, but due to wildfires/smoke, XXX-SFO was going to be about 2.5-3 hours delayed and likely would have missed SFO-ORD.

I got the red banner/exclamation point in my app to change flights, so got myself on the XXX-ORD non-stop about 10 minutes before XXX-SFO boarded.

I have no idea how this situation gets coded in the system (INVOL vs VOL or something else), although WineCountry seems to suggest only an agent-initiated change is coded as such.

Any similar experience being prompted to change your flight through the app due to potential IRROPS and still getting ORC? went back about 70 posts and didn't see anything relevant.
I had this once before. Ticket wasn't marked as INVOL (as far as I can tell, red banner just triggers the app to offer SDC but with no fare class restrictions). I didn't request ORC b/c my new route was longer than the original, but I'd be shocked if UA wouldn't allow it (especially if you can demonstrate that staying on your original route would irrefutably have led to a misconnect).
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Which of the links below is the correct/best site to request an ORC?

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...countInfo.aspx
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/mil...mileagecredit/
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KAFlyer
neither. Just send an Email to MP. All they need is the PNR in question and a quick description what happened (why you want ORC).
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
The first link (email to MP) does have a mileage credit option. I would give it a try.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:51 pm

This is my first time requesting original routing credit (I did not know we could before).

When an IRROPS on United metal results in a missed flight connection on a partner airline, and an involuntary rerouting on a non-partner airline, is it customary for United to refer the request for routing credit to the partner airline? Thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... When an IRROPS on United metal results in a missed flight connection on a partner airline, and an involuntary rerouting on a non-partner airline, is it customary for United to refer the request for routing credit to the partner airline? ...
Not in my experience, has this happened to you?
Doubtful the partner would be willing to do anything based on UA's issue.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Not in my experience, has this happened to you?
Doubtful the partner would be willing to do anything based on UA's issue.
Yes, it just did. Today.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Yes, it just did. Today.
Odd

Who did the re-routing, who selected the non-partner? The partner or UA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.