Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Merged)

Old Jun 12, 2013, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
What is ORC?

ORC=Original Routing Credit: Claiming credit for your original routing as you originally booked it in the event you are rerouted on flights that earn fewer miles than you originally booked.

When do I qualify for ORC?

If you are flying a UA flight on a UA-issued ticket and crediting to UA Mileage Plus, then generally after being rebooked during IROPS due to a misconnect or canceled flight (regardless of the cause--weather, mechanical, ATC delays, etc.) on a more direct routing than you originally booked that earns fewer United miles. This includes being rebooked on other airlines, even if they are not United partners, as well as being rebooked on other UA flights or UA partner flights.

What if I SDC and then have IROPS?
Reports suggest SDCing AAA-BBB to AAA-XXX-BBB and then having IROPS where you are placed back on AAA-BBB, that ORC might be denied for AAA-XXX-BBB. As your original purchase was AAA-BBB.
Unknown what would happen in more complex situations, such as you traveled to XXX and then IROPS occurred, you would probably just be better without ORC.

You will generally not qualify for ORC under the following circumstances:
  • A change to your itinerary made in advance
  • A United-initiated schedule change made prior to departure
  • A voluntary change made during travel (i.e. SDC, walking away from a segment, etc.)

A reroute during a VDB has been an open issue (best if you can get the VDB marked INVOL but still should be possible -- may take some pushback if refused)

How do I get ORC?

ORC will not post automatically (even if a gate agent assures you otherwise). You will have to call in or write into the MPSC (Mileage Plus Service Center--NOT the reservations center or Premier reservations line), provide your record locator or e-ticket number, and state that you were rerouted at United's request and would like to receive the mileage as you originally booked. You cannot do this until the miles for the flights you actually flew posted (which, for United metal, is usually shortly after your flight, as of mid-2019) and at least 5 days have passed between the original VDB flight date and the date of the request for ORC. If the agent grants you ORC, and you have UA miles already posted from the flights you actually took, they will send it to auditing. After about a week the miles for the flights you actually flew will be removed from your account and the miles for the original routing will be deposited, so check and make sure that your original routing would have indeed given you more miles than you actually earned!

If you were rebooked on a carrier which isn't a United partner (i.e. AA, DL, etc.), you can generally credit the flight you actually flew to that carrier's mileage program and still claim ORC with UA.

Any tips to ensure I am successful?

When dealing with UA over a rebooking that will earn you fewer miles, make sure the agent marks your ticket as "INVOL." When the MPSC sees this note, they will be much more likely to quickly agree to grant you ORC. The absence of "INVOL" on your ticket makes the agent think you may have voluntarily rerouted yourself on a shorter itinerary, in which case you wouldn't be able to claim ORC.

Automated rebookings (the kind where you misconnect and then check your itinerary or go to a kiosk after landing and find yourself already booked on another flight) generally seem to properly be marked "INVOL," so you should be fine in these cases. You can see if your ticket was marked "INVOL" by clicking on the "View Receipt" function for your itinerary on united.com; it will be shown next to "Fare Rules" below the fare breakdown section, like so:

Fare Rules: Additional charges may apply for changes in addition to any fare rules listed.

INVOL;CXL BY FLT DT/
Note that some people have reported success in claiming ORC on VDB rebookings if they were able to successfully persuade the agent to mark the itinerary "INVOL."

Is there ORC for MM / Lifetime credit? for PQDs?

Yes and Yes (Generally included but to be safe specifically mention these in your request)

Can a get a refund?

It is believed that requesting a refund will block the ability to request ORC.

Other issues?

You may run into difficulty if any of the following are true:
  1. You're not flying on a UA-issued ticket (recent 2022 reports suggest this is possible)
  2. The rebooking was done by a third-party due to IROPS on that third party carrier
  3. You're not crediting to UA MP

The first two may not be impossible to overcome, but you may need to work harder to get the credit (YMMV, though, especially if both #1 and #2 are true).

The third one is a different case--you need to request credit through the program you're crediting to, as third parties don't have the ability to make adjustments to programs they don't own (UA can't adjust your LH balance, for example--they can only send LH a feed of what flights that person flew, a process which is automated and tied to their operations system).

Archive of older posts - Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)

Print Wikipost

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Merged)

Old Mar 18, 2024, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by oblisk
So I am not sure best course of action on how to rectify this situation.

March 5th, I was booked in P on LH FRA-ICN. 20 mins before boarding LH cancelled the flight and rebooked me in biz on OZ FRA-ICN same day. I have received credit for all the other flights on this itinerary, and on a second Itinerary w/ OZ.

What I think happened, LH changed the underlying ticket/coupon (not sure the right term) but kept the booking class as P on OZ (which doesn't earn any mileage on UA (or on OZ)). Unfortunately I can't see the underlying fare class on the new reservation on LH's site, to verify this is the case.

Should I be asking UA for ORC, or should I ask LH for ORC? (or should i ask UA for missing mileage credit, which I'm fairly certain they'd deny)
LH couldn’t have rebooked into OZ P-class. Irrespective, you should be able to ask for ORC. Send MP your LH ETKT receipt and state that you had an invol reroute and you are asking for ORC. LH metal will also give 100% bonus which you won’t get on OZ.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 12:25 pm

Location: in your favourite lounge, clearing the whole buffet
Programs: LH Maximizer of the year, BA Blue Label killer
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
ORC gives what you purchased vs what you flew. And if rebooked on 016 ticket, the LH would be revenue and should be the same as the purchased ticket.

I can not see anyway this is an ORC situation.
Still I'm missing out one qualifying sector now as I only had one i/o two UA sectors.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 12:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fqtv_kraven
Still I'm missing out one qualifying sector now as I only had one i/o two UA sectors.
That you may be able to get but be specific, and avoid the ORC for mileage based issue which was never true,
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
I think I know the answer but am trying to confirm...

My all-UA F award itin was cancelled due to a "sick" FA. I was initially rebooked on the same flights 24-hours later in F, but I needed to get home sooner, so I accepted Y on a partner airline.

Is it correct to say that I can get ORC (i.e., PQP/PQF) for the flights I should have taken because the cancellation made this involuntary but (slightly OT) will not get any downgrade refund/compensation because that was voluntary?

Thanks.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 10:52 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by as219
Is it correct to say that I can get ORC (i.e., PQP/PQF) for the flights I should have taken because the cancellation made this involuntary but (slightly OT) will not get any downgrade refund/compensation because that was voluntary?
Did UA refund the award? Did UA or you do the rebooking? If the original trip was cancelled and you independently rebooked, then this is a straight cancellation and there is no ORC.

If as part of the cancellation UA handled the rebooking, then it is either refund or ORC, not both.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Did UA refund the award? Did UA or you do the rebooking? If the original trip was cancelled and you independently rebooked, then this is a straight cancellation and there is no ORC.

If as part of the cancellation UA handled the rebooking, then it is either refund or ORC, not both.
UA handled everything. Actually, from the looks of it, I was rebooked into a revenue bucket (U), but since the airline (HA) isn't *A, I don't believe it accrues PQP/PQF.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.