Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2013, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
What is ORC?

ORC=Original Routing Credit: Claiming credit for your original routing as you originally booked it in the event you are rerouted on flights that earn fewer miles than you originally booked.

When do I qualify for ORC?

If you are flying a UA flight on a UA-issued ticket and crediting to UA Mileage Plus, then generally after being rebooked during IROPS due to a misconnect or canceled flight (regardless of the cause--weather, mechanical, ATC delays, etc.) on a more direct routing than you originally booked that earns fewer United miles. This includes being rebooked on other airlines, even if they are not United partners, as well as being rebooked on other UA flights or UA partner flights.

What if I SDC and then have IROPS?
Reports suggest SDCing AAA-BBB to AAA-XXX-BBB and then having IROPS where you are placed back on AAA-BBB, that ORC might be denied for AAA-XXX-BBB. As your original purchase was AAA-BBB.
Unknown what would happen in more complex situations, such as you traveled to XXX and then IROPS occurred, you would probably just be better without ORC.

You will generally not qualify for ORC under the following circumstances:
  • A change to your itinerary made in advance
  • A United-initiated schedule change made prior to departure
  • A voluntary change made during travel (i.e. SDC, walking away from a segment, etc.)

A reroute during a VDB has been an open issue (best if you can get the VDB marked INVOL but still should be possible -- may take some pushback if refused)

How do I get ORC?

ORC will not post automatically (even if a gate agent assures you otherwise). You will have to call in or write into the MPSC (Mileage Plus Service Center--NOT the reservations center or Premier reservations line), provide your record locator or e-ticket number, and state that you were rerouted at United's request and would like to receive the mileage as you originally booked. You cannot do this until the miles for the flights you actually flew posted (which, for United metal, is usually shortly after your flight, as of mid-2019) and at least 5 days have passed between the original VDB flight date and the date of the request for ORC. If the agent grants you ORC, and you have UA miles already posted from the flights you actually took, they will send it to auditing. After about a week the miles for the flights you actually flew will be removed from your account and the miles for the original routing will be deposited, so check and make sure that your original routing would have indeed given you more miles than you actually earned!

If you were rebooked on a carrier which isn't a United partner (i.e. AA, DL, etc.), you can generally credit the flight you actually flew to that carrier's mileage program and still claim ORC with UA.

Any tips to ensure I am successful?

When dealing with UA over a rebooking that will earn you fewer miles, make sure the agent marks your ticket as "INVOL." When the MPSC sees this note, they will be much more likely to quickly agree to grant you ORC. The absence of "INVOL" on your ticket makes the agent think you may have voluntarily rerouted yourself on a shorter itinerary, in which case you wouldn't be able to claim ORC.

Automated rebookings (the kind where you misconnect and then check your itinerary or go to a kiosk after landing and find yourself already booked on another flight) generally seem to properly be marked "INVOL," so you should be fine in these cases. You can see if your ticket was marked "INVOL" by clicking on the "View Receipt" function for your itinerary on united.com; it will be shown next to "Fare Rules" below the fare breakdown section, like so:

Fare Rules: Additional charges may apply for changes in addition to any fare rules listed.

INVOL;CXL BY FLT DT/
Note that some people have reported success in claiming ORC on VDB rebookings if they were able to successfully persuade the agent to mark the itinerary "INVOL."

Is there ORC for MM / Lifetime credit? for PQDs?

Yes and Yes (Generally included but to be safe specifically mention these in your request)

Can a get a refund?

It is believed that requesting a refund will block the ability to request ORC.

Other issues?

You may run into difficulty if any of the following are true:
  1. You're not flying on a UA-issued ticket (recent 2022 reports suggest this is possible)
  2. The rebooking was done by a third-party due to IROPS on that third party carrier
  3. You're not crediting to UA MP

The first two may not be impossible to overcome, but you may need to work harder to get the credit (YMMV, though, especially if both #1 and #2 are true).

The third one is a different case--you need to request credit through the program you're crediting to, as third parties don't have the ability to make adjustments to programs they don't own (UA can't adjust your LH balance, for example--they can only send LH a feed of what flights that person flew, a process which is automated and tied to their operations system).

Archive of older posts - Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)

Print Wikipost

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Merged)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2022, 12:01 pm

Pursue Original Routing Credit only for Lifetime Mile Credit?

Hi folks:

I recently flew a long haul flight from Asia back to USA. Originally was booked on UA metal, but my flight was delayed 12+ hours. So was rerouted on a *A partner.

Because teh ticket was 016 stock I got all of the PQPs and redeemable miles as I was expecting. But not the Lifetime Miles.

Can I pursue getting original routing credit just for the Lifetime Miles? Normally I wouldn't care but it was a 7000+ mile flight.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 12:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ualboston1k
... Can I pursue getting original routing credit just for the Lifetime Miles? ....
Because it is usually done, UA modifies to flight history to restore the original flights. it is all or none

But as the PQPs would not change, should be fine to ask for the ORC. Quite understandable even if only LifeTime miles can.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
So original routing credit (ORC) for involuntary flight changes applies to PQP as well as to redeemable miles (RDM) and lifetime miles.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
How long does UA typically take to respond to inquiries? I sent an email to the 1K contact last Friday and haven't heard back. It's already Wednesday in Singapore.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by lsquare
How long does UA typically take to respond to inquiries? I sent an email to the 1K contact last Friday and haven't heard back. It's already Wednesday in Singapore.
You should get an automated acknowledgement fairly quickly, usually right away. A true response takes between 2 and 30 days depending on what you're asking about. I've had replies take cnsiderably longer, too.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Since ORC request should be sent to mileageplus and not 1Kvoice ... add some time for them to re-direct it to the correct place
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
Since ORC request should be sent to mileageplus and not 1Kvoice ... add some time for them to re-direct it to the correct place
Yes, for this they will just be forwarding to MPSC. Since you already emailed 1K, my personal timeline is wait a week, if nothing, new email (to MPSC directly this time).
Old Jan 27, 2023, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by cfischer
I had no idea! It's been a week and still no response! What's the email address then?
Old Jan 27, 2023, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...What's the email address then?
MileagePlus Service Center
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 11:18 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
i booked a full Y fare on a north american flight at the end of december on ua.

due to the arctic event going thru north america right before christmas, i was invited to re book a few days later (travel waiver), which i did

but instead of being on y fare i was re booked on m fare. there was $0 change in fare.

am i entitled to ORC for the purpose of earning elite status?? the only reason i ask is because i booked this trip at a high fare with the intent of landing from my 1k status into at least silver instead of general. i am curious if i have a case before i submit. thank you for your feedback.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by cur
i booked a full Y fare on a north american flight at the end of december on ua.

due to the arctic event going thru north america right before christmas, i was invited to re book a few days later (travel waiver), which i did

but instead of being on y fare i was re booked on m fare. there was $0 change in fare.

am i entitled to ORC for the purpose of earning elite status?? the only reason i ask is because i booked this trip at a high fare with the intent of landing from my 1k status into at least silver instead of general. i am curious if i have a case before i submit. thank you for your feedback.
The fare class does not matter, just the fare. The fare did not change on the rescheduling. So the earnings should not change.
Not sure what you want out of ORC.
If you shifted the flight to 2023 from 2022, it was a voluntary change and would not qualify for ORC.
jsloan and Xyzzy like this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 12:13 am

Programs: UA Silver
Original routing credit

On Thursday, March 9th, I was scheduled to fly from ORD to SFO on United 2301. However, due to technical issues, the plane had to divert to Denver, where passengers were automatically rebooked for San Francisco the following morning. Instead of continuing on that flight, I had myself rebooked on a flight to Sacramento that following evening, which I ended up receiving miles for. The amount was almost certainly less than I would have received for the ORD-SFO flight that I was originally traveling on, so if I request original routing credit, would I be eligible to get it? My main concern comes from the fact that I had myself rebooked on another flight.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by ae10293
... The amount was almost certainly less than I would have received for the ORD-SFO flight that I was originally traveling on, ....
If you independently booked the SMF flight on a second ticket, than there will be no opportuntity for ORC. Why did you not book this change involving UA?

What posted for your original flight? Did you ask for a refund for the incomplete flight?

Remember flight earnings are based on fare, not miles flown.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 1:01 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If you independently booked the SMF flight on a second ticket, than there will be no opportuntity for ORC. Why did you not book this change involving UA?

What posted for your original flight? Did you ask for a refund for the incomplete flight?

Remember flight earnings are based on fare, not miles flown.
The Denver customer service desk rebooked me on this flight instead of the continuing flight after we were diverted. Now, the trip shows up on one reservation as two separate flights: ORD-SFO and DEN-SMF, though the ORD-SFO is currently stated as being ineligible for miles as I was rebooked after we landed in Denver. I only earned 90 PQPs on the DEN-SMF leg whereas I would've earned around 200 PQPs if my ORD-SFO flight hadn't diverted.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ae10293
The Denver customer service desk rebooked me on this flight instead of the continuing flight after we were diverted. Now, the trip shows up on one reservation as two separate flights: ORD-SFO and DEN-SMF, though the ORD-SFO is currently stated as being ineligible for miles as I was rebooked after we landed in Denver. I only earned 90 PQPs on the DEN-SMF leg whereas I would've earned around 200 PQPs if my ORD-SFO flight hadn't diverted.
Given that there were IRROPS and UA re-routed you, you are eligible for ORC -- even though you changed destination cities -- provided the record was still annotated INVOL, which is standard. (I think there was some confusion caused by your original wording).
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.