Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Merged)

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Merged)

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 27, 19, 2:26 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: drewguy
Wiki Link
What is ORC?

ORC=Original Routing Credit: Claiming credit for your original routing as you originally booked it in the event you are rerouted on flights that earn fewer miles than you originally booked.

When do I qualify for ORC?

If you are flying a UA flight on a UA-issued ticket and crediting to UA Mileage Plus, then generally after being rebooked during IRROPS due to a misconnect or canceled flight (regardless of the cause--weather, mechanical, ATC delays, etc.) on a more direct routing than you originally booked that earns fewer United miles. This includes being rebooked on other airlines, even if they are not United partners, as well as being rebooked on other UA flights or UA partner flights.

What if I SDC and then have irrops?
Reports suggest SDCing AAA-BBB to AAA-XXX-BBB and then having irrops where you are placed back on AAA-BBB, that ORC might be denied for AAA-XXX-BBB. As your original purchase was AAA-BBB.
Unknown what would happen in more complex situations, such as you traveled to XXX and then irrops occurred, you would probably just be better without ORC.

You will generally not qualify for ORC under the following circumstances:
  • A change to your itinerary made in advance
  • A United-initiated schedule change made prior to departure
  • A voluntary change made during travel (i.e. SDC, walking away from a segment, etc.)

A reroute during a VDB has been an open issue (best if you can get the VDB marked INVOL but still should be possible -- may take some pushback if refused)

How do I get ORC?

ORC will not post automatically (even if a gate agent assures you otherwise). You will have to call in or write into the MPSC (Mileage Plus Service Center--NOT the reservations center or Premier reservations line), provide your record locator or e-ticket number, and state that you were rerouted at United's request and would like to receive the mileage as you originally booked. You cannot do this until the miles for the flights you actually flew posted (which, for United metal, is usually shortly after your flight, as of mid-2019) and at least 5 days have passed between the original VDB flight date and the date of the request for ORC. If the agent grants you ORC, and you have UA miles already posted from the flights you actually took, they will send it to auditing. After about a week the miles for the flights you actually flew will be removed from your account and the miles for the original routing will be deposited, so check and make sure that your original routing would have indeed given you more miles than you actually earned!

If you were rebooked on a carrier which isn't a United partner (i.e. AA, DL, etc.), you can generally credit the flight you actually flew to that carrier's mileage program and still claim ORC with UA.

Any tips to ensure I am successful?

When dealing with UA over a rebooking that will earn you fewer miles, make sure the agent marks your ticket as "INVOL." When the MPSC sees this note, they will be much more likely to quickly agree to grant you ORC. The absence of "INVOL" on your ticket makes the agent think you may have voluntarily rerouted yourself on a shorter itinerary, in which case you wouldn't be able to claim ORC.

Automated rebookings (the kind where you misconnect and then check your itinerary or go to a kiosk after landing and find yourself already booked on another flight) generally seem to properly be marked "INVOL," so you should be fine in these cases. You can see if your ticket was marked "INVOL" by clicking on the "View Receipt" function for your itinerary on united.com; it will be shown next to "Fare Rules" below the fare breakdown section, like so:

Fare Rules: Additional charges may apply for changes in addition to any fare rules listed.

INVOL;CXL BY FLT DT/
Note that some people have reported success in claiming ORC on VDB rebookings if they were able to successfully persuade the agent to mark the itinerary "INVOL."

Is there ORC for MM / Lifetime credit? for PQDs?

Yes and Yes (Generally included but to be safe specifically mention these in your request)

Can a get a refund?

It is believed that requesting a refund will block the ability to request ORC.

Other issues?

You may run into difficulty if any of the following are true:
  1. You're not flying on a UA-issued ticket
  2. The rebooking was done by a third-party due to IRROPS on that third party carrier
  3. You're not crediting to UA MP

The first two may not be impossible to overcome, but you may need to work harder to get the credit (YMMV, though, especially if both #1 and #2 are true).

The third one is a different case--you need to request credit through the program you're crediting to, as third parties don't have the ability to make adjustments to programs they don't own (UA can't adjust your LH balance, for example--they can only send LH a feed of what flights that person flew, a process which is automated and tied to their operations system).

Archive of older posts - Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 1, 17, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Citi Prestige, AMEX Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
So to your question if the change would have been marked as INVOL, then you would have gotten ORC. However if query and then agent decline the INVOL request and you make the change, you have a much harder time getting ORC.
Is there a way to tell if I use the United app to select a new flight, whether the change will be voluntary or involuntary? The United Club agent mentioned the change would be voluntary, but again she admitted to not being very informed about mileage earning. I'm wondering if I could have gotten it marked involuntary through the app or if I'd gone to the gate of the new flight.
Old Feb 1, 17, 5:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ftweb View Post
Is there a way to tell if I use the United app to select a new flight, whether the change will be voluntary or involuntary? The United Club agent mentioned the change would be voluntary, but again she admitted to not being very informed about mileage earning. I'm wondering if I could have gotten it marked involuntary through the app or if I'd gone to the gate of the new flight.
Changes you make will nominally not be marked INVOL. The one potential exception is UA sends you a notice with a rescheduling link, that may work.

INVOL generally requires an agent.
I doubt if you show up at a gate you would get INVOL.
Old Feb 8, 17, 11:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA 1K 1MM, IC PLAT AMB, HH Diamond, AVIS Pres, Hertz President's Circle
Quick update : I had two flights on UA which were cancelled since the new schedule did not include these flights anymore. So I was forced to buy SW tickets instead. UA credited me those. They also credited me flights which I missed since the HKg flight was delayed by 5 hours. So all in all a pretty decent experience.
Old Mar 12, 17, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott LT Titanium, '20 Ambassador
I requested ORC for 2 flights which I was rebooked onto AA due to mechanical delays. Agent processed no problem, but see they posted with $0 PQD and I received actual distance (no elite bonus) for RDM. Is this the new expectation?

Last edited by JonasCLT; Mar 12, 17 at 8:44 am Reason: corrected spelling
Old Mar 12, 17, 9:28 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by JonasCLT View Post
I requested ORC for 2 flights which I was rebooked onto AA due to mechanical delays. Agent processed no problem, but see they posted with $0 PQD and I received actual distance (no elite bonus) for RDM. Is this the new expectation?
No. You should get all your PQM, PQD, RDM, and segments as if you'd flown UA as originally routed.
Old Apr 18, 17, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
UA is denying Premier Gold status because of schedule change

I booked two tickets and have completed travel for both of them:

1. In February, SFO-YVR-HKG-TPE-SFO.

2. In April, SFO-EWR-CDG-FRA-SFO.

I have the PQMs and the PQDs met for Premier Gold requirements. I did have to go back to them to account for the PQDs, as originally it showed $5995 but checking the first ticket, they verified that they credited me about $176 PQD less than what was owed so they fixed that.

However, they showed I'd only completed 3 of 4 UA operated segments.

That was true, the only UA operated segments were TPE-SFO, SFO-EWR and EWR-CDG.

However, on the second ticket, the ORIGINAL routing was SFO-EWR-CDG-SFO. That is the return segment was for April 12 on UA984, which would have been my fourth segment.

But some time in December, they notified me that UA984 was no longer available. So at the time I wasn't thinking about it and I can't recall the exact conversation as to what was available but I ended up taking the return on CDG-FRA-SFO, both segments on LH.

It might have been that business class seats were only available on those LH flights for the TATL back to SFO on that date.

The agent I just spoke to at the Premier desk tells me it was a "schedule change" and CDG-EWR-SFO segments should have been available in December. I don't know either way if they were or not. I'm pretty sure at the time, I was just concerned about getting a business class seat on UA984 replaced with the same on the LH-operated segments.

She tells me I have through December to fly that one additional segment.

It wouldn't be that difficult for me to get some short, cheapest UA flight (likely require round-trip purchase) but they instigated the schedule change which got me out of that UA984 flight.

Has anyone ever dealt with a similar situation?
Old Apr 18, 17, 12:26 pm

In IRROPs situations, you can get ORC. Schedule changes in advance don't. You were offered an alternate routing and you took it without regard to your status goals, which are known and for which you are responsible. You should have tried another routing to get to your status requirements.
Old Apr 18, 17, 12:30 pm

It does not hurt to write to MP customer service and ask for original routing credit (ORC) for your April flights, citing schedule change as a reason. The worst they can say is no.
Old Apr 18, 17, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by B747SP View Post
It does not hurt to write to MP customer service and ask for original routing credit (ORC) for your April flights, citing schedule change as a reason. The worst they can say is no.
I just wrote a long letter.

Didn't use ORC or other operational acronyms.

I'm not saying I'll stop my UA business if they fail to address this situation to my satisfaction. I've been Premier Gold for several years consecutively.

But I'm going to study other programs and status match possibilities.

I may decide that I'd rather status-match to another program than do another booking to redress a situation that they caused.

My original bookings would have met ALL the requirements, so my other travel for the rest of the year didn't incorporate any additional spending with UA.

I can fly two more UA segments (round trip) or I may decide it would be better to just spend that money for a status match.
Old Apr 18, 17, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Your first mistake is writing a long letter to CS.
Old Apr 18, 17, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Excuse me, but if you're not going to fly UA again for the remainder of the year, why do you care about status on UA? Are you anticipating a lot of travel next year? Most people who qualify for Gold in early April would be aiming for a higher tier.
Old Apr 18, 17, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List, HH Dia, Hyatt Plat, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
I just wrote a long letter.

Didn't use ORC or other operational acronyms.
Your request should not have been more than two sentences and should have used the phrase "Original Routing Credit".
Old Apr 18, 17, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K
This is a little tricky -- did you document at the time that CDG-SFO was de-scheduled that the only available option which met your schedule requirements was one with zero UA segments? I can see how UA would be reluctant to award you a "bonus UA segment" if you chose CDG-FRA-SFO over, say, CDG-FRA-SFO (using the UA nonstop) or CDG-LHR-SFO or CDG-EWR-SFO or CDG-IAD-SFO or CDG-ORD-SFO.

Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
I'm not saying I'll stop my UA business if they fail to address this situation to my satisfaction. I've been Premier Gold for several years consecutively.
Well, it sounds like you're asking UA to award you status prematurely and trust that you're a good enough customer that this is a good idea for them & you.

Seems reasonable to me -- odds are that a loyal business customer is gonna book one more UA segment at some point in the year and if they're not gonna fly UA then UA gold status is probably not an expensive outlay for them. Might seem less reasonable to the other folks hanging out at the very back of the Group 2 line on a typical ORD-IAH

Please follow up if you decide to move your business to another airline for the rest of the year. And let United know, too -- I'm sure there is a certain element of "we don't have to care, we're the phone company" now that industry consolidation has reached its current state.

Sounds like you're SFO based -- which alternate airline did you have in mind?
Old Apr 18, 17, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Excuse me, but if you're not going to fly UA again for the remainder of the year, why do you care about status on UA? Are you anticipating a lot of travel next year? Most people who qualify for Gold in early April would be aiming for a higher tier.
I booked two award tickets for the rest of the year, on the assumption that my two paid tickets would be sufficient for qualification.

Using some of my miles and points on UA and other programs is important, since large balances are subject to devaluation.

Plus from various threads on FT, it's not clear that Platinum is worth the additional spending required and 1K qualification probably wouldn't allow me a chance to use award redemptions.

But I got an immediate response from UA:

UPxxxxxx

Hello Mr. xxxxxxxx,

I'm sorry that you were moved from your intended United flight 984 on 12 April. I have forwarded a request for a correction to be made to your account to credit your original flight itinerary. Please allow up to 10 business days for processing.

Don't hesitate to contact us again if there’s any other way we can help.

Regards,

xxx xxxxxxxxx
MileagePlus® Service Center

We appreciate your participation in the MileagePlus program and your support of United and our partners. We look forward to serving your travel needs again in the near future. For MileagePlus program information, please visit www.mileageplus.com.
So we'll see what happens.
Old Apr 18, 17, 12:50 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
Your first mistake is writing a long letter to CS.
+1 Be short, factual, and unemotional. Anything else will certainly reduce your chances of success. And BTW, threatening to pull your business if the situation is not resolved to your satisfaction might make you feel better, but is a losing approach if you really want someone's help.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: