Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
In the past, I have had PAXs actually criticize our interaction with ATC, and often times the CA will not turn on channel 9 for that reason. One time in particular, going into SFO, we had a passenger actually argue with us over the decision to accept an approach he felt we should not have accepted, for various reasons. Mind you, he was not an ATP or type rated for the Boeing, but marched into the flightdeck after the flight, and proceeded to criticize the last 40 minutes of our flight. It was downright bizarre. Making it even more ironic, it was during a line check, and the line check airman and he got into a pretty heated argument. People are very strange sometimes...
Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:23 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by 757FO
In the past, I have had PAXs actually criticize our interaction with ATC, and often times the CA will not turn on channel 9 for that reason. One time in particular, going into SFO, we had a passenger actually argue with us over the decision to accept an approach he felt we should not have accepted, for various reasons. Mind you, he was not an ATP or type rated for the Boeing, but marched into the flightdeck after the flight, and proceeded to criticize the last 40 minutes of our flight. It was downright bizarre. Making it even more ironic, it was during a line check, and the line check airman and he got into a pretty heated argument. People are very strange sometimes...
It's too bad that what I assume is a small minority has to ruin it for everyone else. I, like many who have posted in this thread, love Channel 9 and have enjoyed listening to it since I was young (so long ago).
Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
I'll second this. Had to answer to a Chief Pilot years ago about a passenger complaint similar to that - said we were flying at the wrong altitude.

I'll reluctantly turn Channel 9 on if someone asks, but it usually stays off.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Asking FA’s to relay my request seems like an exercise in futility. On a 763 right now and asked my FA if they could ask the pilot to turn it on, FA came back saying he asked his lead attendant and they said it’s not available on this plane...I’m staring at the screen right now that says to turn into the channel. All I can do is smile and say thanks for trying.

edit: the lead FA came back to me an apologized for the misunderstanding and said that this plane does indeed have it and the pilot would turn it on. For that, I will make sure to leave a good word for the crew.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BThumme
Asking FA’s to relay my request seems like an exercise in futility. On a 763 right now and asked my FA if they could ask the pilot to turn it on, FA came back saying he asked his lead attendant and they said it’s not available on this plane...I’m staring at the screen right now that says to turn into the channel. All I can do is smile and say thanks for trying.

edit: the lead FA came back to me an apologized for the misunderstanding and said that this plane does indeed have it and the pilot would turn it on. For that, I will make sure to leave a good word for the crew.
That was exactly my experience. I’m glad the 77W has it, that means it may not be completely dead after all. I’m still hoping it gets added to the PDE like they mentioned years ago.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by asphaltman

That was exactly my experience. I’m glad the 77W has it, that means it may not be completely dead after all. I’m still hoping it gets added to the PDE like they mentioned years ago.
Actually...they said they would turn it on for me but it didn't get turned on at all. And I didn't want to be "that guy" so didn't followup.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wxguy
It's likely that the enabling switch was on, but the #1VHF radio at the left jumpseater's position was not faded up. Both must happen to allow passengers to hear ATC. The fact that it happened twice on the same aircraft months apart is just a coincidence.
Originally Posted by BThumme
Actually...they said they would turn it on for me but it didn't get turned on at all. And I didn't want to be "that guy" so didn't followup.
Maybe this is what happened on your flight.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 11:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
BOS-SFO on a p.s. 752

I was one of the last to board and I happened to ask the FO on the jetbridge if Ch 9 would be on. He didn't think that the aircraft had it, but said he would check with the Captain. Never was turned on.
Beleive the 16-seat lie flat 752 version does not have CH9 . But the 28 seat lie-flat 752 does.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Beleive the 16-seat lie flat 752 version does not have CH9 . But the 28 seat lie-flat 752 does.
You are correct, WC. The 16-seat is a pmCO plane and never had the capability installed. The 28-seat is pmUA and their legacy fleet had it.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Sorry, should have been more specific. This was a pmUA 752.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Thanks. I didn’t know about the pmUA 752s. I’ll be on one next week and am going to ask about channel 9.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
It has been such a long time since I was on a Channel 9 equipped plane that I have almost forgotten that this still even exists.

There was a time that listening to Channel 9 was the only entertainment I did on a plane. Oh, how I wish...
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Karl-MDW
It has been such a long time since I was on a Channel 9 equipped plane that I have almost forgotten that this still even exists.

There was a time that listening to Channel 9 was the only entertainment I did on a plane. Oh, how I wish...
Just had channel 9 available on my SFO-AKL flight. Captain announced they have it on the whole flight, but let everyone know due to most of the flight being over water only the first 30 and last 30 of the flight would have any actual audio. I appreciated him letting us know it was available versus having to go and search.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
if i knew someone on my flight did that, I’d wait until we were clear of the terminal and kneecap ‘em for bein a wise guy. LOL
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
I just came here to say... I miss Ch 9. All I fly are 737s these days and I have no idea what is happening from the cockpit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.