Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 10, 19, 12:47 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: wxguy
Wiki Link
Wiki note about the forum’s several, active “Channel 9” threads.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Chanel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

1) This discussion thread to pursue issues about Channel 9 availability. (See the next paragraph. if you merely wish to list the flights offering or not offering channel 9.)

2) A thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:
^ Channel 9 offered on this flight but no announcement made about it.
^^ Channel 9 offered and crew announced or promoted its availability.
Channel 9 not offered on this flight.
Channel 9 availability reports (no discussion)[Consoldidated]

3) A thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology. The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO or PDE aircraft yet?

The following aircraft types have "From the Flight Deck" installed (commonly known as "Channel 9," as that's the location it is found on audio handset selectors):
pmUA 777-200ERs
pmCO 777-200ERs
pmUA 777-300ERs
pmUA 777-200As (high density, first class only)
pmUA 767-300ERs
pmCO 767-400ERs
pmUA 757-200 (28J p.s.)
pmCO 757-200 (16J p.s.) -- effective with cabin refresh announced October 2019

[pmUA A320 and A319 aircraft have had it removed. It is not installed on any 737s, 787s, nor pre-2019/2020 cabin refresh program pmCO 757-200s (16J p.s.) or pmCO 757-300s.]

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.

Archived posts in Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 25, 19, 9:38 am

Programs: UA Plat 1MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Had my first ch9 experience in several years on UA 803 from IAD to NRT last week. I had forgotten how much I enjoy it and really wish it would be turned on more often. What a treat!
CMK10 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 19, 1:15 pm

I'm a commercial helicopter pilot. Situational awareness while in the air is second nature. Ch9 allowed better coverage than even LiveATC*. It made the flight go infinitely quicker. I felt as good as a CART racing fan at YVR with a scanner on - only the radio was always tuned to the exact perfect frequency to get the "juice."

Also LiveATC is one of the many "blocked" streaming audio sites on e.g. SWA WiFi flights.

I asked UAL crew for it on many flights and was always told "The Captain has decided..." and they never told him "pax are interested - would you reconsider."

What a loss. But hey, "Security Theater."

Ehud Gavron
Tucson AZ US

* Disclosure: I also provide LiveATC.Net with a local feed of Gnd/Clearance/Twr/Apch/Dep and Mil twr
greg99 and belfordrocks like this.
Old Oct 11, 19, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
10/9 UAL871 SFO-TPE B77W Asked FA working my side of J if it was on and she said she would ask the Captain. Came back with a “that’s a big no” from him.

10/12 UAL872 TPE-SFO B77W Same crew as my outbound. Went up to the flight deck to ask the Captain and he just shook his head and said “no”. Asked if there was a reason and he didn’t provide one. Very disappointing.
wxguy likes this.
Old Oct 11, 19, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
10/7 UAL383 HNL-DEN B772 Didn't ask, but it wasn't on.
Old Oct 13, 19, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
10/12 UAL291 SFO-IAD B777-200ER (sUA IPTE) - I asked during boarding and the FA looked at me like I was speaking another language. He looked pretty new, though I am surprised he didn't know what Channel 9 was.. Another FA heard me asking and said he'd check. He never returned and it was music the entire flight
Old Oct 14, 19, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies View Post
10/12 UAL291 SFO-IAD B777-200ER (sUA IPTE) - I asked during boarding and the FA looked at me like I was speaking another language. He looked pretty new, though I am surprised he didn't know what Channel 9 was.. Another FA heard me asking and said he'd check. He never returned and it was music the entire flight
If Channel 9 is silence, does that guarantee it's on but the volume (jumpseat fader) is all the way down? Or are there aircraft where it's not music if switched off? Silence is by far the most common experience for me, although I am but rarely on a Channel 9 equipped a/c.
Old Nov 6, 19, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA *S, Marriott Platinum, AMEX PLAT,HH Gold, Amtrak Select, PP
How to ask to put on CH 9?

Best way to request Ch. 9 to be turned on? Sitting in E+ on PS 752. When should I ask and how is the proper way to go about it? Thanks. First time ever being on a CH 9 equipped aircraft.
Old Nov 7, 19, 9:17 am
Senior Moderator/Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
In my extensive experience, best ways are to be at the boarding gate before the crew has boarded and if the Captain or F/O are still waiting there to ask if the Captain would be willing to have it on. Or if you board near the cockpit door -- before row 1, ask the greeting FAs if you could briefly ask the Captain a quick Q. I and other members who've posted on this have found that those are generally the best ways. But be prepared for some "no" or "it's not working" answers as it is up to Captain's discretion to have Ch.9 enabled. And on some aircraft, even if "on" the feature may be out of service due to audio/mechanical issues.
wxguy likes this.
Old Nov 7, 19, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 4.1MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by findark View Post
If Channel 9 is silence, does that guarantee it's on but the volume (jumpseat fader) is all the way down? Or are there aircraft where it's not music if switched off? Silence is by far the most common experience for me, although I am but rarely on a Channel 9 equipped a/c.
I believe that the "music alternative" is a thing of the past -- it was on 747s and DC10s, plus the 757s/767s before the retrofit of the new IFEs. As I recall the Airbii never had the music alternative prior to the removal of the drop-down video screens. I can't remember what the case was with the early 737s that had audio only.

If you hear silence, it's likely either:
The switch is OFF
--or--
The switch is ON but the #1 VHF radio on the left-side jumpseater's panel is faded down
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old Nov 24, 19, 5:00 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Titanium; National Exec Elite
Just asked the purser on NRT-EWR if he could ask the pilot to enable it. He told me right off the bat: "I can ask but the pilot is an old pmCo so the answer will be no".

He then came back and said "as expected he said no and also this feature is not available on 777-300ER".

It's a bummer, would have made the ride more enjoyable. Anyone ever had luck on 777-300ER or is this really not installed (despite the option being present on the IFE)?

Last edited by kiloohm; Nov 24, 19 at 5:12 am
Old Nov 24, 19, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Had both directions last week SFO-HKG-SFO 777-200 (asked F/A outbound, who came back and said "no problem," and it was on for the return without asking - different flight crews).
Old Dec 20, 19, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Asked onboard for ua 944 today ord-fra.

purser came back and said pilot said they aren’t allowed to turn it on.
Old Dec 20, 19, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 4.1MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by BThumme View Post

This should go in the "biggest lie" thread.

Reply that you're a travel writer and would like to quote the Captain in a story noting UA's new policy. His name please?
Old Dec 20, 19, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by wxguy View Post
This should go in the "biggest lie" thread.

Reply that you're a travel writer and would like to quote the Captain in a story noting UA's new policy. His name please?
I know it was, I’m just reporting back into this thread. This isn’t the hill I want to die on with United.
Old Dec 20, 19, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by BThumme View Post

It might be me, but I have much better success rates if I am able to ask the flight crew directly.. I have a suspicion like some FAs just come back with "no" even though they never asked. That being said, it's a small sample size since I am on ch9-equipped a/c so seldom and asking to visit the cockpit is a lot just hear ch9.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: