Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 10, 19, 12:47 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: wxguy
Wiki Link
Wiki note about the forum’s several, active “Channel 9” threads.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Chanel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

1) This discussion thread to pursue issues about Channel 9 availability. (See the next paragraph. if you merely wish to list the flights offering or not offering channel 9.)

2) A thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:
^ Channel 9 offered on this flight but no announcement made about it.
^^ Channel 9 offered and crew announced or promoted its availability.
Channel 9 not offered on this flight.
Channel 9 availability reports (no discussion)[Consoldidated]

3) A thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology. The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO or PDE aircraft yet?

The following aircraft types have "From the Flight Deck" installed (commonly known as "Channel 9," as that's the location it is found on audio handset selectors):
pmUA 777-200ERs
pmCO 777-200ERs
pmUA 777-300ERs
pmUA 777-200As (high density, first class only)
pmUA 767-300ERs
pmCO 767-400ERs
pmUA 757-200 (28J p.s.)
pmCO 757-200 (16J p.s.) -- effective with cabin refresh announced October 2019

[pmUA A320 and A319 aircraft have had it removed. It is not installed on any 737s, 787s, nor pre-2019/2020 cabin refresh program pmCO 757-200s (16J p.s.) or pmCO 757-300s.]

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.

Archived posts in Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 8, 19, 9:34 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
3/26/19 UA944 ORD-FRA Polarized pmUA 772 Yes
When boarding the plane, my wife asked the Purser who went directly to the cockpit to ask the captain. My wife was within earshot and heard the captain say no. The Purser turned towards my wife and at that time the captain called him back and said that, since a passenger had requested it, it would be on. At one point during the flight, my wife told me we were over France as she could hear some communication in French and some in English with a strong French accent. She then looked outside and thought that the roads were too illuminated. She put the map and indeed the plane was over Belgium.

4/3/19 UA906 FRA-ORD pmUA 772 No
The Purser said that the captain would put it on after they solve some mechanical problem in the galley. But it never came on as there was only music coming out.

So, we are continuing with a success rate of only 50%. We can only have a chance to hear it when we are on long haul international flights as we always are on the wrong types of planes when flying domestic, even on the ORD to/from the West Coast route.
Old Apr 14, 19, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by wxguy View Post
It should be the last selection in Audio -- "From the Flight Deck."
Strange. I looked all over for it, including there, and didn't see it. The remote also wasn't functioning very well, so maybe it skipped past it.
Old Apr 17, 19, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
4/3/19 UA888 SFO-PEK ^

Was on during the final 2 hours of the flight. What was interesting was ch 9 was picking up all of the cockpit conversations, including the casual chatting between the pilots. It was fascinating to listen to, especially as they struggled to understand Chinese ATC, but I don't suspect they intended it to be this way. Any idea what could have caused this?
UAL250 likes this.

Last edited by pushmyredbutton; Apr 17, 19 at 8:13 pm Reason: date wrong
Old Apr 17, 19, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton View Post
4/3/17 UA888 SFO-PEK ^

Was on during the final 2 hours of the flight. What was interesting was ch 9 was picking up all of the cockpit conversations, including the casual chatting between the pilots. It was fascinating to listen to, especially as they struggled to understand Chinese ATC, but I don't suspect they intended it to be this way. Any idea what could have caused this?
Wow, that's fascinating. My best guess is one of the mic lines was plugged/wired in a way that allowed for the pick up of all headset conversations.
Old Apr 17, 19, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton View Post
4/3/19 UA888 SFO-PEK ^

On UA1257 EWR -SFO now. This is happening on the flight as well. I heard the pilots interacting with each other while taxiing for takeoff. After given commands by the ground controller (“Taxi via Romeo Juliet”), It was very fascinating to hear the FO re-verify with the Captain after resounding to ground: “I heard Romeo Juliet, do you agree?” Captain responded: “I agree.”

Looking forward to landing!
UAL250 likes this.
Old May 9, 19, 6:58 am

5/7/19 UA835 ORD-PVG pmCO 772 Yes

My wife asked the purser at boarding. Purser went directly to ask the Captain. Captain immediately said yes.

And it was on and I could find it on the pmCO 772 (on my previous flight on this plane I could not find it). I wish I could report that it was on during the whole flight but about 2 hours before landing in PVG the entertainment system died. But it was on until that time.

Our flight departed late due to problems with the said entertainment system and I could hear the captain discussing with the tower the reason for the delayed pushback. If the problem was not solved within 20 minutes, the plane would leave and the passengers would then be informed that they could not get the movies in the language of their choice. The message was not relayed to the passengers in English but I guess the passengers got informed of this in the language that was not working.
Old May 25, 19, 6:09 am

Programs: SK EBD, UA 1K, AA EXP, RR PLT, MR PLT, IHG PLT
24MAY2019, UA59 FRA-SFO, B77W...

IFE was set to "From the Flight deck", as the FA came by serving pre-departure beverages I asked if the captain would have it on for this flight. She looked at the screen and chuckled saying "oh, we don't have that anymore... not for a while!" I pointed to the screen and said "seriously?"... "yep."
Old May 25, 19, 9:09 am

5/22/19 UA836 PVG-ORD pmUA 772 No
Still at 50% success rate. Let's hope that I get a 100% for my trip at the end of June.
Old May 25, 19, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH FT, Marriott Plat, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PPlus
5/23 ua1600 ewr lax 752
Old May 30, 19, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
5/5 UA 1995 ORD-EWR sCO 777-200

I asked the purser when we were on the ground and he said "no" as if I asked "can I have $5000?"
Old Jun 5, 19, 2:56 am

Programs: DL PM, UA 1K, SPG Plat 100 & Lifetime Gold, Hertz President's Circle
6/3 UA2291 LAX-ORD asked and was told no.
6/4 UA835 ORD-PVG asked and never got a reply.
Old Jul 7, 19, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Dying a slow death

channel 9 is on its way to a slow death. I wish it weren’t so but the separation between the pointy end and the passengers seems to be getting more prevalent with each passing year. We need a few more Denny Flannigan’s!
Old Jul 7, 19, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 4.1MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by tryathlete View Post
channel 9 is on its way to a slow death. I wish it weren’t so but the separation between the pointy end and the passengers seems to be getting more prevalent with each passing year. We need a few more Denny Flannigan’s!
{E}ssentially there's been no change in many years. The Airbii had it removed when the in-seat audio was removed; the 77Ws have all been delivered with "From the Flight Deck" available, and it was made operative in all of the pmCO 772s. So far, no joy on the 787s or new 737s. So it's been status quo for a number of years. We should all encourage management to have it installed; and ask the pilots to turn it on when possible.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 7, 19 at 8:56 pm Reason: cleanup after move
Old Jul 7, 19, 4:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tryathlete View Post
As someone in the pointy end, if you have any issues or concerns you are always more than welcome to come up before the flight.

wxguy likes this.
Old Jul 7, 19, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by clubord View Post
As someone in the pointy end, if you have any issues or concerns you are always more than welcome to come up before the flight.
I always ask the FA's to ask the cockpit crew to turn it on if I'm on a plane that has it installed. Usually gets met with some confusion from the FA as I try to explain that no, nothing is broken, I would just appreciate they relay the message to the cockpit that I'd appreciate they flip the switch on. I'm always hesitant to come up myself, I stopped doing cockpit tours when I stopped being a cute little kid. These days I'd just be that obnoxious PPL offering his services if you both eat the fish!
findark likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: