Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 10, 19, 12:47 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: wxguy
Wiki Link
Wiki note about the forum’s several, active “Channel 9” threads.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Chanel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

1) This discussion thread to pursue issues about Channel 9 availability. (See the next paragraph. if you merely wish to list the flights offering or not offering channel 9.)

2) A thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:
^ Channel 9 offered on this flight but no announcement made about it.
^^ Channel 9 offered and crew announced or promoted its availability.
Channel 9 not offered on this flight.
Channel 9 availability reports (no discussion)[Consoldidated]

3) A thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology. The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO or PDE aircraft yet?

The following aircraft types have "From the Flight Deck" installed (commonly known as "Channel 9," as that's the location it is found on audio handset selectors):
pmUA 777-200ERs
pmCO 777-200ERs
pmUA 777-300ERs
pmUA 777-200As (high density, first class only)
pmUA 767-300ERs
pmCO 767-400ERs
pmUA 757-200 (28J p.s.)
pmCO 757-200 (16J p.s.) -- effective with cabin refresh announced October 2019

[pmUA A320 and A319 aircraft have had it removed. It is not installed on any 737s, 787s, nor pre-2019/2020 cabin refresh program pmCO 757-200s (16J p.s.) or pmCO 757-300s.]

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.

Archived posts in Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 16, 18, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wxguy View Post
Recently it's been ~75% on Ch 9-equipped planes, mostly the pmUA 752 BOS<>SFO and TPAC 777s. Sadly you won't get it EWR<>HKG unless they swap out the pmCO 777. You can always ask for a SDC through ORD or SFO!
ORD will be impossible since they cancelled it on us. SFO will be difficult since we got upgraded on our original ORD-HKG flight and UA transferred our upgrades to the EWR-HKG flight. UA also upgraded us on the ORD-EWR flight. In addition, we are starting from a small city and, to get to the SFO flight, the connection time in ORD is 50 min and the connection time in SFO is 1 h 19 min. Not comfortable with that.

Although it's not good news to learn that the pmCO flights don't have Channel 9, it's good to learn about it before our flight so we don't commit a gaffe by requesting it.
Old Nov 16, 18, 9:54 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus
Recently it's been ~75% on Ch 9-equipped planes, mostly the pmUA 752 BOS<>SFO and TPAC 777s. Sadly you won't get it EWR<>HKG unless they swap out the pmCO 777. You can always ask for a SDC through ORD or SFO!
The pmCO 772s do have channel 9... it's just usually not turned on
Old Nov 17, 18, 12:57 am

Programs: UA 4.1MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by truncated View Post
I stand corrected! Perhaps with the combining of the crew rosters more pmCO crews will learn about it from their pmUA colleagues and be encouraged to have it on.
Old Nov 17, 18, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by truncated View Post
I guess then that we will do our usual request when boarding the flight......and be prepared to hear that it will not be put on. I usually fly on the pmUA 772 and when in Polaris we board that plane from the first door. That's how most of the time we see the captain in the front galley. Do the pmCO 772s board from the first door (we are in Row 8)?
Old Nov 17, 18, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 4.1MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
UA896 HKG-ORD 18Nov pmUA 772 ^^

That's 3 of 4 TPACs in a row. A change we can like

Last edited by wxguy; Nov 17, 18 at 10:20 pm
Old Dec 6, 18, 8:25 am

11/21/18 UA179 EWR-HKG pmCO 772 No
However, for the attitude of the crew about it, they should receive a big thumbs up. My wife asked a FA to ask the captain. There was a discussion in the cockpit if the plane had Channel 9. One pilot said that the plane had it so they would put Channel 9 on. However, we were not able to find "From the Flight Deck" on the screen. A few hours later when my wife was in the galley, that FA asked if she had been able to listen to it. When she answered that she had not been able to find it, the international purser who had taken care of her for the dinner service went to investigate. He came back with the news that it was not available on that plane.

12/3/18 UA896 HKG-ORD pmUA 772 Yes
My wife asked two pilots that were outside the cockpit if Channel 9 would be on. One of them asked for my wife's seat number so he could let her know. After 20 minutes, he came to tell her that it was broken and that a mechanic was trying to fix it but the chances that Channel 9 would be on was very low. However, the mechanic managed to fix it and it was on (more garbled leaving HKG but very clear when approaching ORD).

On that plane, the captain announced that there were 4 pilots with a total of 149 years of experience. The pilot who talked to my wife about Channel 9 had told her before that that he had 40 years experience, first in the military, then on TWA. They were chatting about that because when my wife asked about Channel 9 they thought that she was a pilot. No, she's only a passenger that has been flying international long hauls since 1960 and still likes to be in a plane.

So, we are keeping the 50% rate of success on our international long hauls. For our domestic flights, the planes from ORD don't have it.

I can answer my own question from Nov. 17: we boarded the pmCO 772 from the second door.
Old Dec 6, 18, 10:26 am

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by StuckinITH View Post
11/21/18 UA179 EWR-HKG pmCO 772 No
However, for the attitude of the crew about it, they should receive a big thumbs up. My wife asked a FA to ask the captain. There was a discussion in the cockpit if the plane had Channel 9. One pilot said that the plane had it so they would put Channel 9 on. However, we were not able to find "From the Flight Deck" on the screen. A few hours later when my wife was in the galley, that FA asked if she had been able to listen to it. When she answered that she had not been able to find it, the international purser who had taken care of her for the dinner service went to investigate. He came back with the news that it was not available on that plane.
According to the UA fleet google doc, they all have it. Was there a recent change to the IFE software? I vaguely remember on one type of CO plane it was added to (764?), it was on if you had the map on, but I might be mistaken.
Old Dec 6, 18, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Say Vandelay View Post
I vaguely remember on one type of CO plane it was added to (764?), it was on if you had the map on, but I might be mistaken.
We did not check having the map on. But this is useful information for the next time we are on a pmCO 772. And, unfortunately, it seems that we'll get many more trips on a pmCO 772 without Premium Plus seats since it seems that our flights from ORD are going to be served with those planes instead of the pmUA 772s that we have used in the last two years (I'm mentioning those two years as that's when we started flying United).
Old Dec 25, 18, 10:45 am

Programs: DL PM, UA 1K, SPG Plat 100 & Lifetime Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Fed up with United's inconsistent service

12/25 UA835. The award for the most rude FA for 2018! The IFE had Channel 9. The purser/lead actually yelled that channel 9 is on but I could not hear a peep. Why would they repeatedly lie? I know it's an oceanic route I know there is not much to listen to over the ocean but why blatantly lie to your passengers. I'm already 287K PQM this year and SERIOUSLY considering just switching to DL/MU next year.
Old Dec 25, 18, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by samcmontreal View Post
12/25 UA835. The award for the most rude FA for 2018! The IFE had Channel 9. The purser/lead actually yelled that channel 9 is on but I could not hear a peep. Why would they repeatedly lie? I know it's an oceanic route I know there is not much to listen to over the ocean but why blatantly lie to your passengers. I'm already 287K PQM this year and SERIOUSLY considering just switching to DL/MU next year.
For some reason, I don't think that you'll get Channel 9 on DL. However, if you feel that you'll be treated better by the DL FAs, switch to DL.

I'm not switching since I feel that UA has the better routes to Asia from my location.

Sometimes, the captain puts Channel 9 but forgets to switch on or off another button so nothing can be heard, only an eerie sound.
Old Dec 25, 18, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by StuckinITH View Post
For some reason, I don't think that you'll get Channel 9 on DL. However, if you feel that you'll be treated better by the DL FAs, switch to DL.

I'm not switching since I feel that UA has the better routes to Asia from my location.

Sometimes, the captain puts Channel 9 but forgets to switch on or off another button so nothing can be heard, only an eerie sound.
"Channel 9" requires two actions by the pilot: (1) Turn on "OBS ENT" switch on the overhead panel, and (2) turn up the volume on the #1 VHF radio at the #1 jumpseat (behind the captain) audio panel. Both must happen for it to work. (BTW, for those that occasionally hear other things, such as the intercom, ATIS recording, etc. it means that additional radio(s) are selected with level up on the same jumpseat audio panel.)
Old Dec 25, 18, 11:34 am

"Channel 9" requires two actions by the pilot: (1) Turn on "OBS ENT" switch on the overhead panel, and (2) turn up the volume on the #1 VHF radio at the #1 jumpseat (behind the captain) audio panel. Both must happen for it to work. (BTW, for those that occasionally hear other things, such as the intercom, ATIS recording, etc. it means that additional radio(s) are selected with level up on the same jumpseat audio panel.)
Yes, I'm embarrassed. Every time you try to explain it to me and every time I forget.
Old Jan 8, 19, 10:53 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Do the new 787-10s have channel 9 available?
Old Jan 8, 19, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Ryu2 View Post
Do the new 787-10s have channel 9 available?
Supposedly it's not installed on any 787s. But let us know after your flight.
Old Jan 8, 19, 12:15 pm

Does this mean they broadcast radio waves to transmit the audio from the cockpit to the cabin?

Some searching around gives me the impression that is the case, but I'm having trouble imagining why it's not wired.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: