Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's IAD-DXB flights [Experiences, Questions, Etc.]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United's IAD-DXB flights [Experiences, Questions, Etc.]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2011, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by ainternational
Given it's supposedly pretty hellish there in June weather wise, I'm hoping they will clear.
What does the weather have to do with upgrades?

C-F chances are always decent.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
What does the weather have to do with upgrades?

C-F chances are always decent.
Um, while I agree that the weather doesn't impact upgrades typically, I think it may impact loading, eh? For instance, when it's 110 degrees F and 99% humidity, I was hoping that perhaps less folks are making the trip, than say, during the height of tourist season?

Of course I know very little about DXB, hence my solicitation for your thoughts...
Old Apr 18, 2011, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Um, while I agree that the weather doesn't impact upgrades typically, I think it may impact loading, eh? For instance, when it's 110 degrees F and 99% humidity, I was hoping that perhaps less folks are making the trip, than say, during the height of tourist season?

Of course I know very little about DXB, hence my solicitation for your thoughts...
True... definitely less tourists in the summer (presumably). I misunderstood your statement as "since it's hot, I really hope I get to fly in first".

I went last November for the first time... really enjoyed it and I'd like to go back a spend a few more days. I didn't have time to see everything during my short visit.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR

I went last November for the first time... really enjoyed it and I'd like to go back a spend a few more days. I didn't have time to see everything during my short visit.
This will be my first time as well, certainly looking forward to it despite the heat. Let me know if you have any recommendations. Where did you stay?
Old Apr 21, 2011, 5:35 pm
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mh3265a
Have a flight tomorrow 4/19 from IAD-DXB and my wife an I confirmed SWU at time of booking back in January. It has always shown the new config 777. I have heard stories from other OPs and CODELs that there have been switches on a number of occasions so I hope that doesn't happen. Flight load tomorrow looks solid in F and C cabins but many open seats in Y.

My return is 4/25 and, again, we confirmed our upgrade to C using SWU at time of booking. This flight is even more open with significant number of C and Y open and 4 seats in F open too.
Flight 977 departing DXB on Wed 20 Apr was the old config 777, which presumabily means that 976 departing IAD on 18 Apr was also. I ask a FA about the equipment swap and her comment was that it happens 3-4 times a month, usually with little notice. I had forgotten how much more personal space you have on the old config, but the layflats are definately more comfortable when trying to sleep!

DEN
Old Apr 21, 2011, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by DEN
Flight 977 departing DXB on Wed 20 Apr was the old config 777, which presumabily means that 976 departing IAD on 18 Apr was also. I ask a FA about the equipment swap and her comment was that it happens 3-4 times a month, usually with little notice. I had forgotten how much more personal space you have on the old config, but the layflats are definately more comfortable when trying to sleep!

DEN
I'd be curious if there's a pattern to when it goes old-biz - as in something like every Monday or what-not.

Fwiw, it was new-biz IAD-DXB on the 16th and then DXB-IAD on the 18th, (obvious of course, since those are tied together, just noting it).
Old Apr 21, 2011, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by DEN

DEN
Curious if they offered you anything? On a similar flight to NRT from SFO they immediately presented all C and F pax with an apology letter and some number of RDM I can no longer remember.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 5:44 am
DEN

Curious if they offered you anything? On a similar flight to NRT from SFO they immediately presented all C and F pax with an apology letter and some number of RDM I can no longer remember.
Nothing was offered nor was the aircraft swap mentioned over the PA system during boarding or the flight. I did receive a apology from the Agent when I checked in because they moved my seat, but I retained the window as I wanted. just on the opposite side. I'm sure there were a number of people who were pleased as more C Class upgrade seats were available at the last moment. Regardless of the configuration, it's still better than E+ or E-!

I kinda was expecting it to be a bit dirty and worn out, but it was clean, fully functional and as good appearance wise as the new config I flew over in.

DEN
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by DEN
Nothing was offered nor was the aircraft swap mentioned over the PA system during boarding or the flight. I did receive a apology from the Agent when I checked in because they moved my seat, but I retained the window as I wanted. just on the opposite side. I'm sure there were a number of people who were pleased as more C Class upgrade seats were available at the last moment. Regardless of the configuration, it's still better than E+ or E-!

I kinda was expecting it to be a bit dirty and worn out, but it was clean, fully functional and as good appearance wise as the new config I flew over in.

DEN
I flew out IAD-DXB on 19 April and had the new configuration. Returning on 25 April we had the older version. No apologies or note that it had changed. We only knew because our Pageonce app indicated an automatic change in seats.

I find the DXB staff to be horrific. I offered to pay from C-F but they said it wasn't available yet there were 4 F seats available....not good business.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 7:56 am
DEN

I flew out IAD-DXB on 19 April and had the new configuration. Returning on 25 April we had the older version. No apologies or note that it had changed. We only knew because our Pageonce app indicated an automatic change in seats.

I find the DXB staff to be horrific. I offered to pay from C-F but they said it wasn't available yet there were 4 F seats available....not good business.
Just out of curiosity, did you try for a paid upgrade at check in or at the gate? Although I see the same staff in both places, they seem much more disorganized and frazzled at the gate.

DEN
Old Apr 30, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by DEN
Just out of curiosity, did you try for a paid upgrade at check in or at the gate? Although I see the same staff in both places, they seem much more disorganized and frazzled at the gate.

DEN
I actually tried in both places. The gentlemen at the gate was VERY frazzled but the bag check-in area was less busy but still didn't understand the rules.

And - NO apology for change in configuration of aircraft. I don't need anything, per se, because I was still confirmed in C-class but they need to up their game at DXB.
Old May 1, 2011, 8:43 am
DEN

I actually tried in both places. The gentlemen at the gate was VERY frazzled but the bag check-in area was less busy but still didn't understand the rules.

And - NO apology for change in configuration of aircraft. I don't need anything, per se, because I was still confirmed in C-class but they need to up their game at DXB.
That is a shame, lost revenue & a unhappy customer. Although they only turn one flight a day, they have been doing it since 2008(?). They should have a understanding of the rules by now.

An email to United might be in order.

DEN
Old Jun 5, 2011, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Do upgrades to Dubai/Ghana generally clear OK before the flights?

Looking to take a trip to Dubai (DXB) in a few weeks as fare levels are not too silly and a lot of miles -- about 19,000 real miles from west cost for ~$2,500 in M.

In the experience from those here who have flown it, do NC upgrades usually come thru in the end most times? Have no idea of the usual C loads.

Showing zero NC all the days each way I am looking at, but what is new with CONITED 2011.

1Ks on 'M' fares should be fine, even on the day, but never hurts to check usual patterns.

With 2 pax, getting cleared ahead of flight day is handy so as to get 2 seats togrther.

IAD-ACCRA (ACC) is Plan "B" and again showing Zero "I" class for days either side of what we need to fly in July, if those here have some peersonal experience to offer.

Thanks in advance for input.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 9:32 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
I have taken the DXB flight to IAD and vice versa probably 10 times in the last 2 years. I have made 8 of my 10 upgrades with SWU's. Those are the only 2 SWU's that haven't cleared for me in my 3 years as a 1k.

The DXB flight does have the new config thus you have a few less seats obviously. If the lowest is an M fare if it goes to DM and you still waiting I would say you still have a 2/3rd chance.

I would split the PNR personally just to be sure.

You do know it is hotter then hell here now right? Are you going to stay in Dubai or using it to launch somewhere else?
Old Jun 5, 2011, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Don't forget there's the Dubai Do June 24-27th, if your dates overlap.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.