Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Archive]

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Archive]

Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by beachfan
Can this be done in one transaction on the web? The place to put the cert info does t seem to appear if I choose an E+ seat. ...
the cert can only be used up to the value of the ticket, the extra cost of E+ access has to be covered with new money. And you can do this at the same time.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 12:14 am

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Sorry if this has been answered.

What happens if there are no E- seats available so you book an E+ and pay the additional charge but an E- seat opens up prior to departure? Can you get a refund for the E+ seat?

What if you upgrade using a RPU and it clears; do you get the refund on what you paid for the E+ seat?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 11:46 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by honmani2
.... What happens if there are no E- seats available so you book an E+ and pay the additional charge but an E- seat opens up prior to departure? Can you get a refund for the E+ seat? ...
no (there is no requirement to purchase E+ at booking if E- is blocked)

Originally Posted by honmani2
....What if you upgrade using a RPU and it clears; do you get the refund on what you paid for the E+ seat?
yes
Old Feb 28, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
no (there is no requirement to purchase E+ at booking if E- is blocked)
To clarify, if there are no E- seats available, you are not required to pay for E+. However if you select E+, you will be charged. I would be willing to bet that on the flight, the passenger would be in E-. I suppose there are cases of people not selecting seats prior to checkin and getting E+ assignments, but I'll bet they are about as rare as the silver op-up on a TPAC flight....
Old Mar 4, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: UAMP Gold Million Miler; American, Delta, Southwest; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt; Marriott, A-Plus
Economy Plus now a special privilege?

Please forgive me if I missed something somewhere. I changed jobs recently and my flying days are heavily reduced. But I am a lifetime Prem Exec/1M miler. I booked a family trip for later this year and was unable to secure Econ Plus seats unless I paid.

Is that a recent change? is there a way around it? never had that problem before.

Thanks,
Old Mar 4, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
As 1MM you are gold, which gets only one companion for free in E+. When you say "family" I am guessing that includes 1 or more children/relatives. If you book all of you together you won't be able to get E+ for free for everyone. You can pay for the extras, or call to split the reservation and get 2 E+ seats free.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
No, you're entitled to it. Who told you otherwise?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 2:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
You need to be Platinum or higher to get more than one companion into E+.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You need to be Platinum or higher to get more than one companion into E+.
YEP!

MileagePlus Premier Platinum members and higher enjoy advance complimentary access for themselves and up to eight companions, and Premier Gold members enjoy advance complimentary access for themselves and one companion. Premier Silver members continue to enjoy complimentary space-available access to Economy Plus for themselves and one companion upon check-in.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:57 pm

Can I use United miles to upgrade to Economy Plus?

I lost my United status. When I had it, I got used to E+.

If I buy an economy ticket, how do I use miles to upgrade to Economy Plus? Using miles, I can only see options to upgrade to First.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, A3-Gold, HHonors-Gold, Marriott-Gold
Nope. Its not possible to move from E- to E+ using miles.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by and.y
I lost my United status. When I had it, I got used to E+.

If I buy an economy ticket, how do I use miles to upgrade to Economy Plus? Using miles, I can only see options to upgrade to First.
Nope.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
No can do. Just paid.

If UA had a true premium Econ, there might be a case for it. But I also fear that if E+ were considered a cabin upgrade, E- to C/F would be looked at as a double upgrade.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: UAMP Gold Million Miler; American, Delta, Southwest; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt; Marriott, A-Plus
Originally Posted by drewguy
As 1MM you are gold, which gets only one companion for free in E+. When you say "family" I am guessing that includes 1 or more children/relatives. If you book all of you together you won't be able to get E+ for free for everyone. You can pay for the extras, or call to split the reservation and get 2 E+ seats free.
OK, thanks. I wasn't sure why they didn't offer it on two of our seat for free. Because I could not book any seat in E+

I'll call.

Short update.

Even though it showed a charge for the E+ seats, when I went to pay, they credited two seats and I only paid for a single seat for my son.

It wasn't real clear to me but there appears to be a message on the seat selection screen that tells you you have a E+ seat for you and one companion.

All is now well. I guess.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 5, 2014 at 2:07 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 5, 2014, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by drewguy
If you are a 1MM, assuming you have a spouse in your family group, you can get her the same Gold companion status and then you can book 4 gratis in E+. My situation exactly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.